My/our coach, carriage & wagon scratch building thread

gobbler

I wonder if it would be worth squeezing a wee bit of sheet lead in there, it might help with the ride of the coach.

Very tidy work. Someone else on the forum (Edwardian, Stephen Lea or Brossard come to mind) does the springs in a chunk and then cuts them into spring-width strips.

Buhar,

there ain't much space in them there bogies, though I may be able to add a little around the fixing hole.

And yes, the idea of making a length of spring and chopping off as and when you want them had been mentioned earlier in this thread. A good idea for some. Would save a lot of hassle in the long run. I could be wrong cause I haven't tried this idea but there are two things on my mind about doing this :-

1. I don't have a tool for chopping off the spring neatly And does the detail of each individual leaf disappear?

2. I'm not making lots of the same vehicle, so on each build the spring is slightly different

Would agree though if your making a fleet of Thompson/Gresley/Maunsell etc...... that way of doing things would be a complete boon!!

Thanks John, appreciate your comment. Although I do it for my own personal enjoyment I glad that you think they're worthwhile doing, they should look even better with a lick of paint.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 1

This next bit I hate doing, it can make or break the model. But it's gotta be done.

I found some slaters microstrip 0.010" x 0.020" on an excursion to John Dutfields, never used it before, but its more economical to use then evergreen.

I put the 3 lengths on first from top to bottom. After marking out the heights as a guide and using my vernier, I get one end started and make my way along the length of the coach. Before it's all set, I use my 300mm steel rule to make sure it's as straight as possible.

post-2873-0-62196600-1519157877_thumb.jpg

Once all three are on I start at one end putting the verticals on.

post-2873-0-41406100-1519157999_thumb.jpg

I'll post another pic when they're all done

TTFN

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I just found the Evergreen range to have a nice finish to the surface, sheets are square, and the edges of the strip sections are square and don't curl up. And dimensions are consistent, too.

I just found the Evergreen range to have a nice finish to the surface, sheets are square, and the edges of the strip sections are square and don't curl up. And dimensions are consistent, too.

I agree with this - the down side being that Evergreen is rather expensive, here in France, at least.

Just wanted to say this is a really good thread, I've been following it for a while and I'm impressed by your carriage and building skills. There's some great advice/tips in here. I've only really used plasticard for buildings before, but you've converted me and I'm going to have a bash at a carriage, possibly a broad gauge PLV as I don't have a brass kit for one of them. I've got quite a lot of other builds on the go, but I'll post pics when I get something done.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good Evening All,

A few pics of completed coaches from me tonight, as thanks to work, I haven't been able to progress the under construction coaches much.

First up, the brake half of a Dia. 278 Brake Third/Third twin;

post-1937-0-03959800-1519244540_thumb.jpg

Next, a Dia. 338 Non-corridor Composite;

post-1937-0-53659600-1519244594_thumb.jpg

A Thompson Brake Third, Dia. 361:

post-1937-0-90660400-1519244649_thumb.jpg

A Gresley Dia. 118 Brake Composite;

post-1937-0-79215400-1519244830_thumb.jpg

And a Thompson Dia. 371 Composite, with it's odd extra half compartment;

post-1937-0-56923100-1519244919_thumb.jpg

Hopefully soon, I can crack on with my coaches, but i'm enjoying the inspiration and tips this thread brings!

Keep up the good work folks!

Gaz.

• Like 6

I never seem to find the sizes of microstrip I want so I cut my own.

I've tried cutting my own. Without success btw, they went curly and twisted and all looked parallel.

Got any tips on this?

It would save me a small fortune that could be spent on other items.

Cheers

Scott

Just wanted to say this is a really good thread, I've been following it for a while and I'm impressed by your carriage and building skills. There's some great advice/tips in here. I've only really used plasticard for buildings before, but you've converted me and I'm going to have a bash at a carriage, possibly a broad gauge PLV as I don't have a brass kit for one of them. I've got quite a lot of other builds on the go, but I'll post pics when I get something done.

Keep up the good work!

Charlie,

Glad you're enjoying this thread and getting inspired, don't be shy to post your progress and if you need ideas/tips or some help we'll all be here and muck in

If you've got a decent drawing that's half the battle. Thing is though it won't come with instructions

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

Good Evening All,

A few pics of completed coaches from me tonight, as thanks to work, I haven't been able to progress the under construction coaches much.

First up, the brake half of a Dia. 278 Brake Third/Third twin;

attachicon.gifIMG_2856.JPG

Next, a Dia. 338 Non-corridor Composite;

attachicon.gifIMG_2858.JPG

A Thompson Brake Third, Dia. 361:

attachicon.gifIMG_2859.JPG

A Gresley Dia. 118 Brake Composite;

attachicon.gifIMG_2860.JPG

And a Thompson Dia. 371 Composite, with it's odd extra half compartment;

attachicon.gifIMG_2862.JPG

Hopefully soon, I can crack on with my coaches, but i'm enjoying the inspiration and tips this thread brings!

Keep up the good work folks!

Gaz.

Gaz,

These look rather good mate, I've done a few on my suburban coach thread below

How do you do your roofs?

Cheers for the post

Scott

Thanks all for your posts and comments

Here's the latest

post-2873-0-68668200-1519250306_thumb.jpg

The last side beaded. If you can spot what I've done and you think it makes a real difference I'll do the rest of it

Don't want to give away too much but let me know what you think

TTFN

Scott

• Like 2

Gaz,How did people get into the coupe compartment on a D371? It's not a diagram I'm familiar with.

Gaz/Jonathan

Didn't know that one even existed. Would love to see the dwg for that.

P.s gaz what books/reference do you use and where do get the drawings from?

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold

Gaz,How did people get into the coupe compartment on a D371? It's not a diagram I'm familiar with.

A coupé is usually a “half” compartment at the end of a coach, with outward facing windows, is it not?

E.g. 10023.jpg

Gaz/Jonathan

Didn't know that one even existed. Would love to see the dwg for that.

P.s gaz what books/reference do you use and where do get the drawings from?

Cheers

Scott

Looks to be a lavatory compartment, but the window needs frosting. I think these may have had corridors (but not gangways) arranged such that each class could access one lavatory, with each corridor being slightly less than half a coach length, arranged diagonally opposite. Or possibly, only the compartments adjacent had access to the loos? Edited by Regularity

AFAIK a coupe can be a compartment anywhere in a carriage which is only large enough for seats one side - a half compartment, if you like. Usually they stand out because they interrupt the usual flow of two windows between each door.

This is a GNR example which has two coupe compartments, one of each class:

BB_GN_218BB_5.jpg

I don't think that odd window is a Lav as Thompson lav windows were oval. An internal corridor would explain it, but they were usually to give access to a lavatory. I'm sure I have the diagram book at home, that will no doubt explain.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Guys,

Scott, the roofs are from MJT, as I would struggle maintain uniformity in this area. I find them very easy to use and they have a very handy centreline milled in to the underside.

Jonathon, the Dia. 371 Composite we built for the Scottish Region, Seventeen in total apparently. I've attached a small snip of the excellent Isinglass drawing to show the relevent internal layout;

post-1937-0-11017300-1519306815_thumb.jpg

I use drawings from the Historic Carriages series, Nigel Harris's Gresley Standard Carriages and LNER Carriages books and the excellent Isinglass Drawings service.

Gaz.

• RMweb Premium

Mean little window though. 

Real old-fashioned coupe compartments such as Regularity has in mind seem almost always to have been first class and tend to come about as a result of squeezing different configurations of accommodation into a body length determined by five or seven third class compartments (e.g. the infinite variety of 30'1" 6-wheeled and 42' 8-wheeled composites of the LNWR). The Midland largely avoided them until Bain's 54' clerestory carriages - which weren't quite long enough to fit in four third and three first class compartments, so one first was a coupe. Space is even more constrained on a brake composite, as Jonathan's Great Northern example shows - and does have a third coupe too.

• Like 1