Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Posted Image What was your favourite model of 2017? Cast your vote

Photo
- - - - -

60009 Union of South Africa 1960 works plates

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 pH

pH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationOriginal western terminus of the CPR

Posted Today, 00:44

Perhaps towards the end of steam they were not carried continuously and only came out for high days and holidays.  

I saw 60009 regularly from November 1962 till it was withdrawn by BR in summer 1966. 60009 or 60011 was the regular power for the 17:30 Glasgow Buchanan Street to Aberdeen for many months. Later, other A4s were involved but 60009/11 still appeared. I have no recollection of seeing 'South Africa' cabside plates on 60009 during that time. And the cabside would have been the place we looked for the number as an A4 backed down from St. Rollox into the station - as soon as the engine was identified, there was a rush out of the station and down Buchanan Street to get the engine on the 17:30 St. Enochs to Carlisle before it left. Being able to identify the engine by cabside plates before the number was clearly visible would have given us a valuable start!

• Thanks x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#27 Silver Sidelines

Silver Sidelines

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationUp North

Posted Today, 10:56

Thank you again Trevor for sharing those model pictures.

..It represents the state it was in after its final overhaul at Doncaster in November 1963, to correspond with the picture you quoted, i.e. black nameplate, straight (not curly) numbers on smokebox and with crests on cab side. Checking with my own photo from 1964 (shown earlier) I now realise the cab crests should not be there, as I wanted to have it as I remembered it! Any suggestions as to how best to remove them, please? I also see the electrification flashes are not as per the prototype so I expect some T-cut and gentle application with a cotton bud should remove them? I have some flashes from a previous job which I can apply in the correct place - i.e. on the black smokebox side casing, not the green body. And apparently none at all near the top of the boiler...

Thank you also pH

I have no recollection of seeing 'South Africa' cabside plates on 60009 during that time. And the cabside would have been the place we looked for the number as an A4 backed down from St. Rollox into the station - as soon as the engine was identified, there was a rush out of the station and down Buchanan Street to get the engine on the 17:30 St. Enochs to Carlisle before it left. Being able to identify the engine by cabside plates before the number was clearly visible would have given us a valuable start!

If the overhead flashes were Pressfix Transfers removal may not prove to difficult - not too much white spirit. Not sure about the crests I guess it depends if they have been varnished over.   I had certainy toyed with the idea of placing one of the overhead warning signs on the black paint at the sideof the smokebox.

The 'green diesel era' KingsX pictures above (pre 1963 Doncaster Overhaul?) show cabside crests and overhead warning signs along the boiler.  These show the engine carrying the Elizabethan headboard so during its Haymarket days. There are also a couple of pictures of from 'cov59' above that show the prisitine engine at Ferryhill (and in traffic) with polished buffer heads and crests on the cab side.  I would say there is photographic evidence to show that when it first arrived at Ferryhil after its Doncaster overhaul the cabside crests were displayed.  However later photographs show 'clean' cab sides and as pH has said above he cannot remember seeing them whilst train spotting at Glasgow (short trouser days me thinks?).  It does rather support the theory that the not long after arrival in Aberdeen the crests were removed  (for safe keeping).

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines, Today, 11:05 .