MRJ 260

drduncan

I seem to recall that today was the expected publication date of MRJ....

Shall we bet on when it appears? Or how long before someone takes the huff and has this thread locked?

Whenever it comes out, I’ll be waiting with great anticipation for what I’m sure will be an excellent read and worth the wait.

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's out!....

post-6732-0-67879700-1516449332_thumb.jpg

My subscription copy arrived (Devizes), about an hour ago. Wife and daughters have just gone out to a kiddies birthday party, so time for a good read.

Barry Norman is in the editorial chair and has compiled an issue with something for everyone, as follows:

Abbey Street by Jas Millham

Small Suppliers Forum

Touchcab by Peter Kirmond

Midland Goods Office by Richard Ellis

The New Toad E by Karl Crowther

An English Elm by Barry Norman

How to Make A Smokebox by Laurie Griffin

Improving A Pannier by Mike Baker

Point Rodding In 2mm by Laurie Adams

Letters

Diary

Regards

Dan

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I think the texture and colouring of the brickwork on Richard Ellis' Midland Goods Office is the most convincing I've ever seen. Hmm, I've had a packet of Das modelling clay sat on my shelf for a good 8 years (it's still soft!). Perhaps some experimentation is called for?

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall
  • Like 2

I think the texture and colouring of the brickwork on Richard Ellis' Midland Goods Office is the most convincing I've ever seen. Hmm, I've had a packet of Das modelling clay sat on my shelf for a good 8 years (it's still soft!). Perhaps some experimentation is called for?

Regards

Dan

It's me! And thank you for your kind comments, yet to receive my copy...!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It's me! And thank you for your kind comments, yet to receive my copy...!

The recognition is more than justified, Richard. Well done!

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The recognition is more than justified, Richard. Well done!

Rob

The cover picture is fantastic. Fans of Richard's work will be pleased to know that I have an article in hand on how he makes those very realistic sacks, boxes, bales etc which make up the load. It will appear in my next MRJ which is a couple of issues away - and I will be pestering him for an article on his Midland in Bristol cameo entry when it's finished - unless Barry has already bagged it!

Jerry

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Mine came this morning as well and I'm looking at the cover photo of Ned and his cart as I type this.

I just love Tricky's little layout, excellent modelling.

The article on the 7mm pannier may also be apposite for one of my future projects, too.

• Like 1

Mine came this morning at such an abnormally early hour that I thought it was Saturday's delivery running late.

I will read it properly in bed - fancied an early night - with particular attention to Karl Crowther's treatment of the Parkside kit for the LNER Toad.  It is always a joy to read the writings of Jas Millham [Abbey Street] and I expect to read the article on 2mm point rodding more than once for the simple reason that I will not believe it the first time.

I note, without comment, that there is a letter from Mrs Trellis.

Chris

• Like 1

An excellent issue, and certainly a lot in there to read and enjoy.

Having a few weeks ago created a boiler and smokebox to replace the Milky Bar one in a London Road kit (nothing much wrong with it, I just wanted something to provide a bit more room for the motor) I found Laurie Griffin's article very interesting. At the time I'd wondered about doing it his way, but in the end decided to do it with 3D printing (boiler, smokebox and ash-hopper all in one item), so out of pure curiosity, and in no way critical of Laurie's lovely work, I timed how long it would take to create a similar item to the one in the mag. with Sketchup, at which I am very far from being an expert.

The result pictured here took ten minutes from start to finish. Now, I'm far from saying that this is the way of the future, or it should always be done this way, or any such thing; but it doesn't half make one think!

post-104-0-04329300-1516874772.jpg

Still not in WH Smiths in Stockport this morning - very disappointing waste of a bus fare.

Popped up in Ealing today.

I like the article on Toad E-ing.

...there is a letter from Mrs Trellis.

An entire page to herself this time. All the other letters have been shoved onto the previous page!

Edited by Horsetan

Mine came this morning at such an abnormally early hour that I thought it was Saturday's delivery running late.

I will read it properly in bed - fancied an early night - with particular attention to Karl Crowther's treatment of the Parkside kit for the LNER Toad.  It is always a joy to read the writings of Jas Millham [Abbey Street] and I expect to read the article on 2mm point rodding more than once for the simple reason that I will not believe it the first time.

I note, without comment, that there is a letter from Mrs Trellis.

Chris

Picked a copy up from the local purveyor this afternoon.  I plan to peruse it this evening in the company of a mug of cocoa and a few digestive biscuits, after watching, in honour of Burns Night, the most recent episode of the attempt to push a railway line through the Great Glen!

I note that you observe a missive from Mrs Trellis.

I assume that its a precis of previous issues, and I shall read it in due course.

Phew! I'm glad he's still with us. I was starting to worry.

P

Well, yes......  :jester: