MRJ 260

drduncan

Fans of Richard's work will be pleased to know that I have an article in hand on how he makes those very realistic sacks, boxes, bales etc which make up the load. ...

Hopefully the horse will have a nose bag by then, it looks hungry already,

then again if you don't feed it one end, now't will come out the other  :nono: 

Yes, I'm also looking forward to how he's done the wagon load items.

Meanwhile back to the article in MRJ 260, re brickwork etc., 

top of page 14, he mentions that brickwork etc  '...... must make structural sense'. 

There so many models to be seen that in reality, don't meet this basic principle,

and thus as both a former Architectural Technician and later a Civil Engineer, these things are noticed.

Barry Norman's English Elm, there's much thicker foliage on this than I've seen on the two 60' high Cornish Elms I have in my back garden.   Of course it's winter now so I can't take a demo photo, and these Elm's only come into full leaf mid to late June, whereas the Horse Chestnut nearby will be in full leaf by the end of March, early April.

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Premium

That 2mm point rodding is stunning, as is nearly everything in the modelled trackwork.

Shame about the gaps in the pcb not being filled: completely destroyed the illusion.

Thanks for your comment. I haven't got my copy yet so I don't know how much Laurie explains in the article but many of the photos are of points done to test the components and won't be used on his layout. Laurie intends filling the gaps on the actual layout but as the article was about the point rodding and not the track, he may not have mentioned it.

I have seen the layout, or what there is of it so far, running. The trackwork and running are superb but much cosmetic work to the track still needs to be done once the rest of the baseboards are built and the track laid.

Edited to add that Laurie will be on the 2mm society roadshow stand at Doncaster show and will very likely have his test points on display, complete with the rodding, so people will be able to see it with their own eyes, if they can see things that small!

Edited by t-b-g

Greatly enjoyed this issue certainly one of the better ones. Always have a lot of respect for Jas Millhams work and the info on buildings is very clear and concise. Though the rest of you seem to enjoy Mrs Trellis's missives, I find them annoying and would rather the space was taken up with some "real" comments on issues raised or readers opinions. To have a resume each issue of the previous one is in my view a waste of a precious page. Why do the editors put up with this or are the rest of you laughing so much that you do not care?

Martin 

'One and All', looking at the photo's of the horse & cart again, it appears there are deposits on the ground from the rear...
Thus a feed bag surely is required to replace the vacated internal spaces  :jester:

'One and All', looking at the photo's of the horse & cart again, it appears there are deposits on the ground from the rear...

Thus a feed bag surely is required to replace the vacated internal spaces  :jester:

They’re not his. Hence his dignified eagerness to exit stage left.

......Though the rest of you seem to enjoy Mrs Trellis's missives, I find them annoying and would rather the space was taken up with some "real" comments on issues raised or readers opinions. To have a resume each issue of the previous one is in my view a waste of a precious page. Why do the editors put up with this....

I think it's more that we "read" the Trellis correspondence with gritted teeth. MRJ are probably trying to make the writer the equivalent of a modelling national treasure by consistently publishing the output, but who really knows?

Has anyone met Mrs. Trellis?

• Like 1

I think it's more that we "read" the Trellis correspondence with gritted teeth. MRJ are probably trying to make the writer the equivalent of a modelling national treasure by consistently publishing the output, but who really knows?

Maybe it's because he still conforms to MRJ ideals by using quill, ink and Her Majesties Royal Mail?

MRJ may be saving monies/editorial space by not needing to publish an occasional index? I worry about him if we don't hear anything from him in a while.

Maybe he comments on wider issues in the letters pages of the Times, Telegraph, Guardian and the like. 

Perhaps he provides a monthly commentary & summary of World Events?

I now await his comments in forthcoming MRJ's, especially on the inclusion of horse droppings on the front cover of the current issue and whether the deposits would be good enough at fooling his roses this forthcoming spring.

P

Maybe it's because he still conforms to MRJ ideals by using quill, ink and Her Majesties Royal Mail?

MRJ may be saving monies/editorial space by not needing to publish an occasional index? I worry about him if we don't hear anything from him in a while.

Maybe he comments on wider issues in the letters pages of the Times, Telegraph, Guardian and the like. 

I now await his comments in forthcoming MRJ's, especially on the inclusion of horse droppings on the front cover of the current issue and whether the deposits would be good enough at fooling his roses this forthcoming spring.

P

Don't give him ideas ...

Chris

P

If its in mrj, the size, shape and texture of the droppings will naturally be exemplary, and eminently suited to mulching roses! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

P

What I don't understand is what the poor man has done to have earned this sobriquet?

What I don't understand is what the poor man has done to have earned this sobriquet?

I could be worong but I think it may have been Mr Horse that drew the original anology? Perhaps he could comment?

P

• RMweb Gold

I think some feel that his summaries of previous issues are superfluous (which is a fair editorial criticism) and irrelevant (which is a personal issue).

We do seem to spend more time (writing and reading) and words than are consumed by the hapless victim...

Maybe PK enjoys the letters, likes the writer, wants to share this with us and quite possibly is engaged in a wind up of those who object? I don’t know him, but I wouldn’t put it past him, nor of him co-opting Mr. Lycett-Smith into the venture.

I could be worong but I think it may have been Mr Horse that drew the original anology? Perhaps he could comment?

I'm not the first one to have noticed the regular correspondence, but the resemblance of that regularity to Mrs. Trellis was far too good to miss. It's a bit like Porcy and his lamp posts.

It's a bit like Porcy and his lamp posts.

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about.

But beware! I have arranged for the secretary of the Society for Accurate & Improved Illumination Standards for Muodellers to visit Ealing one of these dark winter mornings where, whilst walking down a poorly illuminated bye way she will surely show you the light.

Edited by Porcy Mane

Interesting - correspondence re: Mrs Trellis. Reading the page 40 letter more closely, M3005 [as it was one of the batch M3003-M3011 delivered in 1948 after nationalisation] was new in 1948. That puts the "cop" from the Tea Shop window just about 70 years ago. Let's tentatively assume that he was aged between 8 and 12 at the time [as he was reading the Meccano Magazine]. That makes him say, 80+ now.

RAF Hucknall closed [as an RAF station] in 1957 though Rolls Royce continued to use it for civil test flying subsequently. If "Mrs Trellis" was a national serviceman and served at RAF Hucknall, that closure date and assuming that he was say, 20 years old i.e., at the end of his 2yrs NS upon Hucknall's closure as an RAF station that puts his DOB at around 1937 - i.e., a minimum age of 81 years now.

I can't speak for PK but I suspect that someone like "Mrs Trellis" who has been a rail enthusiast for rather longer than I have been on this planet has probably a fund of interesting stories that are slowly being teased out of him via his letters to MRJ. It does no harm and indeed, a bit of digging around the story does unearth some interesting nuggets!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

P

It was indeed Mr. Horse, in the thread for MRJ 239:

“Posted by Horsetan on 19 May 2015 - 07:22 in Model Railway Journal

Does anyone else think that Roger Lycett-Smith is a bit like the Mrs. Trellis of MRJ? His letters seem to get published so often that I sometimes think MRJ keeps his correspondence in reserve for when they need fillers....!”