Ground cover in sidings/goods yards

spikey

I've just finished ballasting my 00 1950s/60s branch line, and the next job is to put down some kind of ground cover between sidings that are too far apart to simply ballast across the gaps, and around the goods yard generally.  I'm after that indeterminate mix of soil, ash and general crud which comes in various shades of browns to greys and supports threadbare patches of weeds and grass in places.

I know I can use sieved ash from our woodburner for some areas, but I need a bit of variety.  Any suggestions please as to what else I can try?  Are any of the proprietory products any good for this sort of application?

• 3 weeks later...

On my layout I've used ash, sieved earth in places then I bought myself Gorden Gravetts book on modelling grassland and scenery.Following that I used some chinchilla dust bought for a few quid from my local pet shop, sieved through a bit of an old stocking it goes on really fine and I weathered it using weathering powders.

It's not cheap but I'd recommend the book as it covers a lot of different surfaces, grass, weeds and all.

Steve.

Edited by sb67