sem34090's CAD & 3D Printing 'Workbench/Screen'

Hi All,

My first new topic on the forum!

I thought I'd start a topic to post my various CAD and 3D printing activities into, starting with a project I started earlier: the LBSCR Class L1 4-6-4 'Baltic' Tank.

Not much to it yet, but I've put a picture up nonetheless:

post-33498-0-73389300-1515718210_thumb.png

Don't worry if you're not fond of anything South of an LNWR Watford Tank! I've some more Northerly projects up my sleeve, including a few NER and LNWR things...

All the best,

sem34090

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I should be getting a quote from I.materialise today. Prior to detailing and the chassis it worked out at roughly £13. I find I.materialise to be considerably cheaper than Shapeways, but shapeways is easier to sell through.

Thanks! I should be getting a quote from I.materialise today. Prior to detailing and the chassis it worked out at roughly £13. I find I.materialise to be considerably cheaper than Shapeways, but shapeways is easier to sell through.

I agree. Shapeways' pricing is all over the place. But I prefer Shapeways because I have no issues with the rendering and printing. When it comes to i.materialise I have had so many issues trying to open a shop and whatever I do i.materialise always seems to have an issue with the CAD work (which is accepted by every other 3D printer). I even made a simple cube and they couldn't give me a quote.

Shapeways' pricing is all over the place

I don't quite agree. It is based on certain factors, some of which other companies don't take into account. Shapeways had to restructure their pricing formula as it was not sustainable, and other companies might find they hit that same problem in the future.

For WSF the main factor is space used in machine. Unfortunately OO sized models fall inbetween being quite big, but having a lot of wasted space. Not so easy for locos, but for coaches and wagon for bigger scales the space inside is not wasted(so can be used by other customers for smaller models). The machines are big enough to do large models. This is not always the case with other materials, and some willneed a lont of extra supports added. This adds to the cost, as does the cost of having to remove them. I don't think it is hit and miss, but more a finely worked out calculation, which might not be obvious to some.

• Like 1

You get a better feel with how the pricing works when you produce models in various scales. People will always ask if you can do a model in a diffrent scale. Just amazes me how diffucult it is for some, but then you do need the right software to make it easier.

In some ways when a new r2r model is done(or more usually when it has been announced), I either think about my own version, which can then be done in various scales, or something for the r2r one to pull. Looks like I might have to do some NER coaches(I have all the drawings) and maybe some CR ones.

I wasn't planning to resize my standard gauge up to O scale, but was asked by someone at Manchester exhibition, so thought, why not, and then took it one more step and did Gauge 1 version.

All new designs are across all scales, and slowly working through others.Makes a nice distraction, and gives me a chance to look at how varied the way I have done designs. Some I would redo, but why fix something that works. If it is something I know I can do better, then I might modify design. Normally this is roof shape, especially bowed ends.

• Like 2

I normally start with 4mm as it is my primary modelling scale, and get a test print done. If the print is successful I'll scale up to 7mm and higher. I will then offer the model in scales below 4mm but with the fact that I have not had a test print done made very clear in the product description. I reason that a 4mm 3D print should scale up with fewer issues, so shouldn't be a problem. I can only afford so many prints, so getting them done in 4mm first makes sense to me.

In the case of the G6 I am actually having a 4mm and a 3mm test print done on the basis that a friend of mine who models in 3mm would like one specifically and is willing to pay for it, even though it's a test print.