Dapol 4mm Scale Terrier

sem34090

• RMweb Gold

So how many Terriers do you have ?

I have 32635, 32636, 32640, Stepney, Whitechapel, Sutton, Boxhill & Waddon.

At £120 a piece it's unlikely I'm going to trade in my Terriers and start again.

Similarly for those who do, its going to swamp an already swamped market for Terriers, which can be had for sub £50, which for those who collect them, will distract from the new Terrier.

I think the cute little Terrier market has gone, the Peckett is the replacement, no new Terrier is going to live up to the volume of sales of the old Terrier.

Maybe a better option is the Terriers bigger sister the LBSC D1..an 0-4-2T rather than an 0-6-0T

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26SCR_D1_class

Same liveries, similar naming conventions, 125 of them, lasted until 1951, one even made it to Lancashire, pretty much the same, just  bigger.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So how many Terriers do you have ?

I have 32635, 32636, 32640, Stepney, Whitechapel, Sutton, Boxhill & Waddon.

At £120 a piece it's unlikely I'm going to trade in my Terriers and start again.

Similarly for those who do, its going to swamp an already swamped market for Terriers, which can be had for sub £50, which for those who collect them, will distract from the new Terrier.

I think the cute little Terrier market has gone, the Peckett is the replacement, no new Terrier is going to live up to the volume of sales of the old Terrier.

Maybe a better option is the Terriers bigger sister the LBSC D1..an 0-4-2T rather than an 0-6-0T

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LB%26SCR_D1_class

Same liveries, similar naming conventions, 125 of them, lasted until 1951, one even made it to Lancashire, pretty much the same, just  bigger.

Producing something different is almost always a sound argument. However, in this case the Terriers number ten in preservation; have a celebrity in Stepney; a National Collection in Miniature candidate in Boxhill; lots of livery variations (albeit with a plethora of small and not-so-small detail differences); etc., etc. Compared to other small LB&SCR locomotives, the Terrier is arguably a 'no-brainer', especially considering that manufacturers/commissioners have been quite happy to produce new versions of existing lower quality models in other cases.

I currently own 32662 (Martello), 81 (Beulah, I think, or was 81 Boxhill?), Waddon and Fulham.

Wouldn't stop me buying a retooled one though. Doubt I'd ditch the old ones, but would buy a retool to match them.

I’ve only got one 32460 (Brighton) in BR mixed traffic livery with early crest. She’s the only one of my locomotives I won’t upgrade as she was the last present bought for me by my grandad before he passed. She’s been serviced and still runs like a dream 10 years down the line. She’s currently my station pilot along with a Beattie well tank.

Big james

Edited by Big James
  • Like 5

Guest theonlydt

A retooled Terrier would be fantastic. The current one is just too inaccurate, with detailing that's too thick. At least Hornby have worked on the mechanism.

I'm guessing scaling down from O still have significant cost. My guess is the chassis still has to be redesigned, even if the body can just be shrunk on the CAD photocopier? Then tooling is what, 100,000 pounds?

Of course it'd end up with a coreless motor and being a bit of a lightweight to make room for DCC chips and sound. And thus the complaining on rmweb would begin :)

I for one would be very happy to see a retooled Terrier, be it by Hornby, Dapol or another manufacturer, however I do agree with others in this thread in that perhaps Hornby ought to retire the tooling if this does happen into their Railroad range, and reduce the price whilst doing this. There is no cause (other than being the sole manufacturer of the product) to maintain such a price for an outdated model. Recently I've seen brand-new models selling for over £70, and second-hand they seem to fetch between £25-55, which is reasonable. With a brass replacement chassis and nicer motor under the body, again suitably modified to match the individual locomotive modelled, I'm sure these older models still have plenty of life and place on a layout.

On the other hand, perhaps a major retool of the chassis and then providing variant parts with the locomotive to cater for different variations would be a more interesting way to go, allowing the modeller to model 'their' locomotive rather than trying to cater for every variation. It's just a thought.

- Alex

As a model, it has still has a place, but that place is suitably priced in the Rairload range, which is a great concept and has represented some pretty good value.

Latterly some things stayed in the main range (and, therefore, at main range prices) for far longer than their quality justified.  This was true of the terrible old Collett Bow-Enders. But, you don't have to buy them if you don't want to.

It is high time that someone produced one to, well, I was going to say 'modern standards', but there have been quite a few retrograde releases in recent years, so let's hope for something that is the best that we know can be produced by a careful manufacturer that does its research and checks its CADs!  

A retooled Terrier would be fantastic. The current one is just too inaccurate, with detailing that's too thick. At least Hornby have worked on the mechanism.

I'm guessing scaling down from O still have significant cost. My guess is the chassis still has to be redesigned, even if the body can just be shrunk on the CAD photocopier? Then tooling is what, 100,000 pounds?

Of course it'd end up with a coreless motor and being a bit of a lightweight to make room for DCC chips and sound. And thus the complaining on rmweb would begin :)

The mechanism, unless it's been improved since the last production run, is as Dapol designed.

Edited by Sam Moss

I​ have mixed feelings about a Terrier with new tooling whether it be by Dapol, Hornby or someone else. Whilst the current models aren't of the detail that the Hattons P Class will be, personally I still think they're very attractive models and I'm not sure if I could justify the inevitable price hike new tooling would bring in comparison to the current prices. However, on the other hand I also said that about the Hornby Duchess and naturally I now own Hamilton with Birmingham on pre order...

The terriers I own are W11, W8 Freshwater (As preserved currently), Sutton, Bodiam, Waddon, Boxhill, Martello, 32678, and 4 Stepneys... Anyone notice a theme and the missing link?

• Like 1

It sounds strange, but while I might consider getting a retooled SR Terrier in Maunsell green for my main layout, I am happier with the older tooling for my smaller, 1906ish layout.  The SR layout has a station at each end of the 'L', and the locomotives run round the trains at each end, and so don't need picking up routinely.  The SR Terrier shares the layout with a Kernow 02, a Bachmann E4, and a brace of Hornby M7s amoungst others.  A delicate, but more detailed loco would not suffer too much.  On the other hand, my smaller layout is a branch line terminus to basic fiddle yard on an 8' by 18" baseboard.  It relies on the locomotives being lifted and replaced onto the fiddle yard track.  The current Hornby Terrier is ideal for that.  One of the reasons that I made the loco release a bit small was so that I wouldn't be tempted to add anything like an LBSC Railway E4, or another detailed but delicate model.

Great... yet another Southern region engine request: for an engine that has been modelled, and is getting a similar class made in a new tooling - but still they want this one done again.

Then they have the audacity to complain about a companies track record when its clear progress has been made.

Meanwhile other areas get one or two releases for their area. To be honest.. just makes you think they on another planet unaware of just how many southern specific models are out there in steam, 3rd rail, diesel and electric, as they only see and think of the steam releases.

Think they need a wake up call. Id pretty much do cartwheels if Dapol announced a B16!

Great... yet another Southern region engine request: for an engine that has been modelled, and is getting a similar class made in a new tooling - but still they want this one done again.

Then they have the audacity to complain about a companies track record when its clear progress has been made.

Meanwhile other areas get one or two releases for their area. To be honest.. just makes you think they on another planet unaware of just how many southern specific models are out there in steam, 3rd rail, diesel and electric, as they only see and think of the steam releases.

Think they need a wake up call. Id pretty much do cartwheels if Dapol announced a B16!

I awoke late this morning, so cannot deny that I needed a wake-up call. Being the one of the “they” who used the phrase “a manufacturer with a good track record”, I think that I should explain that it was not a complaint but a statement which I made intentionally vague. I refuse to name names but I can think of two manufacturers with a good track record, two with a poor one and two with none at all. There are others who could fit into one of those slots, no doubt. I am sure that will change over the next year.

I don’t know which manufacturer Black Hat refers to when he says that it’s clear progress has been made. I can think of a couple which might fit that description.

It is possible for a manufacturer with a good reputation to lose it or to damage it by a gaff or two. Past performance may not be a guide to future performance but it is the best guide we have.

• Like 1

I​ have mixed feelings about a Terrier with new tooling whether it be by Dapol, Hornby or someone else. Whilst the current models aren't of the detail that the Hattons P Class will be, personally I still think they're very attractive models and I'm not sure if I could justify the inevitable price hike new tooling would bring in comparison to the current prices. However, on the other hand I also said that about the Hornby Duchess and naturally I now own Hamilton with Birmingham on pre order...

The terriers I own are W11, W8 Freshwater (As preserved currently), Sutton, Bodiam, Waddon, Boxhill, Martello, 32678, and 4 Stepneys... Anyone notice a theme and the missing link?

Thing is, though, it's not actually the fact that the chassis is crude and the model lacks detail and finesse that is the real problem with it.  Rather it's the fact that it's a fundamentally inaccurate hybrid between an A1 and A1X and, thus, good for neither.  It may even have worn more liveries inconsistent with its tooling than a RCH 7-plank, but, now, it deserves a worthy and useful retirement in the Railroad range, where it can continue to give sterling service to new generations of modellers.  The market, however, deserves a replacement.

So, the North Eastern. I quite agree.  The S3 is too big and too modern for me, but anyone want to club together to commission a NER C Class (J21) or a P1 (J25)?

Because God helps them as help themselves!

Bit harsh perhaps. There's nothing to stop others starting similar threads with requests and discussion about their own favoured prototype(s) and their viability as a new RTR model. (I suspect if I did a search there would be plenty of such threads.) Bachmann are working on a very similar project to bring the NER J72 to up modern standards so why not the Terrier? Although the J72 is outside of my area of primary interest I may buy one as I enjoy collecting some of the pre-grouping RTR models and I owned a Mainline version back in the day.

Edited by Anglian

Given that Hornby could put the existing Terrier into the cheaper range and undercut any new model, the trick would be for another manufacturer to not talk about planning a new model but just get it to market. That way they would be around a year ahead of whatever production Hornby could schedule thus ensuring the sales to recoup their tooling investment. 

If a Terrier appears I will presume that sound business sense would mean we would get to know about it as it is about ready to be shipped to the shops. 

The mechanism, unless it's been improved since the last production run, the mechanism is as Dapol designed.

Hornby removed the spring on the centre axle on the last runs. Not sure I would call it an improvement though. Their first runs did show slightly better assembly QC over the Dapol variants.

• RMweb Gold

Great... yet another anti Southern / Southern region tirade

You have the audacity to tediously and tiresomely complain on every thread that is not about your own sphere of interest

Meanwhile other members are getting equally as fed up with continued and repetitive, unfunny jibes at SR locos and their supposed and often unfounded performance statements, To be honest I don't think it is others whom are on another planet...

I think it is you that needs a wake up call to campaign for your interests, which you have a complete right to do, in a sensible and productive manner with others that share your interests rather than alienate everyone else..

Edited by Graham_Muz

Do SR modellers turn up in NE-related model topics saying that no-one should be looking at it? Don't be surprised if they do if you turn up trying to bait people.

I whilst I, as a pre-grouping Southern Modeller, appreciate there is a need for NER locos, I agree with Andy that there is no need to go around in every topic that dares to mention the thought of a new Southern model to make your point. Perhaps set up a new topic for constructive discussion?