Photo
- - - - -

How many droppers from a single bus connection?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#51 tractor_37260

tractor_37260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Location"Down the Glen"

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:31

If I wanted to wire up all parts of a insulfrog point, so three blue wires and three red wires, that go from the track to a blade connector (red or blue), which is then in the scotchlok connector connected to the bus wire, is that dangerous or just not best practice?

Surely the resistance would be barely noticable than if they were all individually attached through scotchloks to the bus wire?

I guess the only point of resistance would be the blade connector.

Cheers

Where ever possible a soldered joint will always be a better, long term solution..........although quick and convenient, over time scotchlok connectors can suffer from increased resistance being open to the air/environment etc 

#52 Crosland

Crosland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 13:08

If I wanted to wire up all parts of a insulfrog point, so three blue wires and three red wires, that go from the track to a blade connector (red or blue), which is then in the scotchlok connector connected to the bus wire, is that dangerous or just not best practice?

It's fine. You are only supplying current to a very short lengths of track, not the whole layout.

Scotchlock are fine when you use the correct size connector with the correct size wire. "Insulation displacement" connectors form a gas-tight joint that will not degrade when formed correctly.

• Agree x 3
  • Thanks x 1