Green Leaf Brewery London

Aldgate Box Boy

Thanks very much that is really nice of you - sorry I don't have your name Gismorail. When I started the blog it was mainly to keep a record of what I was doing so it's nice to know people are getting something out of it. I love making Connoisseur kits, they are challenging but with each one you learn a lot.  I've attached some images of the painted kit below, it still needs finishing, lettering and weathering.  I find lettering a real challenge.

Looking very good Sir as I said I'm getting inspired now myself  :senile:

Love the idea, the concept and the developing layout. I'm a big fan of the Hudswell Clarke, I have one too which is the basis of my own embryonic industrial shunting layout.

You're doing some excellent work with those buildings.

A brewery provides a good varied flow of traffic and chance for a nice range of wagons and vans.

Keep up the good work!

David

Thanks David, much appreciated. Yes I think the Hudswell Clarke and the Peckett were the reasons I took the plunge in to O. There is something about small shunting engines that appeals. 

Yes a brewery can generate a lot of very different wagons including things like yeast refrigerated vans and waste product from spent hops etc for animal feed.  I recently got a kit for a beer tank wagon which will have to wait for a while.  I'm torn between cracking on with the buildings or doing some more wagons, it's a lovely problem to have.

thanks again Tim

Thanks David, much appreciated. Yes I think the Hudswell Clarke and the Peckett were the reasons I took the plunge in to O. There is something about small shunting engines that appeals.

Yes a brewery can generate a lot of very different wagons including things like yeast refrigerated vans and waste product from spent hops etc for animal feed. I recently got a kit for a beer tank wagon which will have to wait for a while. I'm torn between cracking on with the buildings or doing some more wagons, it's a lovely problem to have.

thanks again Tim

You are right, it is a lovely dilemma!! I love my H-C and am really tempted to pair it with a Peckett... just need to justify it with my wallet!

Great progress with the buildings. They must be quite large and imposing given the scale! Keep up the good work, I am enjoying following and am also learning a lot from your techniques and skills.

David

Edited by south_tyne

You are right, it is a lovely dilemma!! I love my H-C and am really tempted to pair it with a Peckett... just need to justify it with my wallet!

Great progress with the buildings. They must be quite large and imposing given the scale! Keep up the good work, I am enjoying following and am also learning a lot from your techniques and skills.

David

Thanks David, yes 4 floors is quite large although a number of breweries were a lot larger. Wallet allowing you must get a Peckett, I'm not on commission honest!

Below is a picture of what I'm intending to put in to the building. It's the mechanism for moving barrels between floors.  This is a manual one from around 1900, but some were mechanized.  The glazing I have put in is pretty clear (lots of Windolene being used in 1960!) so it should be possible to view it on all the floors.

post-33330-0-66023800-1531477353_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks David, yes 4 floors is quite large although a number of breweries were a lot larger. Wallet allowing you must get a Peckett, I'm not on commission honest!

Below is a picture of what I'm intending to put in to the building. It's the mechanism for moving barrels between floors. This is a manual one from around 1900, but some were mechanized. The glazing I have put in is pretty clear (lots of Windolene being used in 1960!) so it should be possible to view it on all the floors.

As a lover of industrial architecture

I am really enjoying following.

What an absolutely fascinating photograph! It will be a superb scenic feature and unique I would imagine! Do you have any plans to make it 'work' in any way? It would add to the interest as a cameo, although I understand it would be a very difficult thing to achieve (i wouldn't have the first idea how to begin!).

David

As a lover of industrial architecture

I am really enjoying following.

What an absolutely fascinating photograph! It will be a superb scenic feature and unique I would imagine! Do you have any plans to make it 'work' in any way? It would add to the interest as a cameo, although I understand it would be a very difficult thing to achieve (i wouldn't have the first idea how to begin!).

David

Hi David, I do have plans for a motorised version of the barrel hoist, although I think it will have to be a static one for now.  It's a trade off between detail and wanting to get a few buildings up first. I did think about using the photo as an interior back-scene as measuring it it is in 7mm scale almost exactly. One of the club members suggested using a camera motor.

Best Tim 

Made quite a lot of progress over the weekend. Here is the first part which was joining the three parts together for the first time.  This was done with double-sided sticky tape and PVA.  I clamped it together for 12 hours with these great clamps from B&Q.

The problem with card/ foam board is there is a tendency to bow but if all goes well this is solvable.  The other issue is the way individual bricks on  the cut edges come away.  I filled these with DAZ and I'm in the process of painting.  If this looks OK I think I may stick with the lazer cut card brick.

Best Tim

post-33330-0-57699500-1531731325_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-43247600-1531731338_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-47924700-1531731350_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi David, I do have plans for a motorised version of the barrel hoist, although I think it will have to be a static one for now. It's a trade off between detail and wanting to get a few buildings up first. I did think about using the photo as an interior back-scene as measuring it it is in 7mm scale almost exactly. One of the club members suggested using a camera motor.

Best Tim

Sounds like a good idea. Motorising is always something you can plan to allow for completion later on. It will be a highly impressive feature whether working or not mind!

That warehouse building is looking great.

Edited by south_tyne

Hi Tim,

I am fascinated by the realistic colouration of the people/figures on your layout. How do you achieve this?. Do you use layers of thinned dyes to gradually build up the effect?.

Hi Tim,

I am fascinated by the realistic colouration of the people/figures on your layout. How do you achieve this?. Do you use layers of thinned dyes to gradually build up the effect?.

Thanks rocor, yes they are built up layer by layer. I started with white undercoat (from one of the gaming shops but I think Halfords is just as good).  then you build up. I started using Games workshop colours but found the acrylic paint from my local art shop was just as good. I haven't done many as I am still pretty new to all this but I work on knowledge based on school boy art classes regarding shade and light to give depth. The skin tone is another gaming colour. The best piece I have seen on how to do this was in BRM last year, it was very good but I was please because i'd basically done the same by thinking logically. What I do need to do is coat the finished ones in matt fixer.

My real bug bear is that there are so few models of women workers.  I'm modelling around 1960s so I'm pretty flexible.  I found one real overalled female worker, contrast that with the amount of nudes available! I maybe in a minority of one but really? There were lots of women workers in various breweries. I'm a fan of the original Alfie film where Alfie's girlfriend Gilda works in a brewery on the banks (north I think) of the Thames.

I'll post some more images if you are interested.

Cheers Tim

I've just found some stills from the film Alfie, very useful for anyone modelling London in the 1960s. This is Gilda having her break from the brewery where she works chatting to Humphrey who becomes her husband after Alfie leaves Gilda.  This was filmed in Battersea opposite the former London transport Lots Road Power station in Chelsea. Gilda's look is what I'm after.  Humphrey is wearing the summer dust jacket of a LT bus conductor with silver Griffin buttons. 

post-33330-0-53976200-1532344755_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-85367200-1532344762.jpg

post-33330-0-05123900-1532344773.jpg

Thanks rocor, yes they are built up layer by layer. I started with white undercoat (from one of the gaming shops but I think Halfords is just as good).  then you build up. I started using Games workshop colours but found the acrylic paint from my local art shop was just as good. I haven't done many as I am still pretty new to all this but I work on knowledge based on school boy art classes regarding shade and light to give depth. The skin tone is another gaming colour. The best piece I have seen on how to do this was in BRM last year, it was very good but I was please because i'd basically done the same by thinking logically. What I do need to do is coat the finished ones in matt fixer.

My real bug bear is that there are so few models of women workers.  I'm modelling around 1960s so I'm pretty flexible.  I found one real overalled female worker, contrast that with the amount of nudes available! I maybe in a minority of one but really? There were lots of women workers in various breweries. I'm a fan of the original Alfie film where Alfie's girlfriend Gilda works in a brewery on the banks (north I think) of the Thames.

I'll post some more images if you are interested.

Cheers Tim

My first thought regarding nude figurines was that they could be used as as a basis for a clothed individual by building their costumes up with acrylic medium. That was until I looked at the available figures from Shapeways, and the poses that they strike, immediately realising then that was not going to work.

Barrel Lift Progress

I've started work on the barrel lift for the inside of the barrel wash building. I have had a good look at the photo I posted earlier it looks like it is constructed of wood so I'm using balsa with pin and glue to joint it.  The added bonus is that the pin heads are good rivet heads.  I am waiting on more balsa but this is progress to date.

Cheers Tim

post-33330-0-65917000-1532619984_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-66757300-1532619999_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-41723600-1532620014_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-92664000-1532620028_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-34940400-1532620042_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I've just found some stills from the film Alfie, very useful for anyone modelling London in the 1960s. This is Gilda having her break from the brewery where she works chatting to Humphrey who becomes her husband after Alfie leaves Gilda.  This was filmed in Battersea opposite the former London transport Lots Road Power station in Chelsea. Gilda's look is what I'm after.  Humphrey is wearing the summer dust jacket of a LT bus conductor with silver Griffin buttons.

Rolling Stones Factory Girl ?

Had the same problem with Houghton Street. Took the best part of a year to find "fat bottomed girl" and even had a go at carving her from scratch. Eventually found an Omen figure which was slightly reshaped for the task of cleaning upstairs windows without ladders.

Likewise children. It is a strange world where manufacturers are more comfortable with an infinite number of nudes than offering fully dressed juveniles at play. Again we found what we needed but it took over 12 months.

More Barrel wash lift progress

I've just about finished the woodwork on this.  It's a mixture of balsa and coffee stirrers. I decided to modify my original plan so there are 3 rather than 4 columns.  Most won't really be visible, unless I get around to lighting the building but still.

post-33330-0-74754200-1532785524_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-19160200-1532785539_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-58218100-1532785550_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-84874200-1532785560_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Brewery Barrel Washing Plant Lift Finished

Hi I'm attaching a series of images showing the completed lift mechanism on its own and in place, from behind, which won't be seen and in place.  I guess a lot of this will never be seen so in some ways it is a waste of effort but you never know.  In the end I looked in detail at the image and came up with my own version of the lift.

I'm not sure whether to build a brass brake van kit or another building next ...

Cheers Tim

post-33330-0-64336200-1533026037_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-35996500-1533026051_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-41778200-1533026064_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-64196000-1533026076_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-41745100-1533026090_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-83765300-1533026103_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-73360000-1533026118_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Riveting Tool

Well I began the Connoisseur GW Brake van this afternoon.  I managed to do one side of the rivets before my wrist gave out (broke it in January). looks like I will have to buy a riveting tool does anyone have experience of the G W Models one? I think the £95 one sounds ideal for what I need rather than the heavy duty one.

Thanks in advance 

Cheers Tim

Riveting Tool

Well I began the Connoisseur GW Brake van this afternoon.  I managed to do one side of the rivets before my wrist gave out (broke it in January). looks like I will have to buy a riveting tool does anyone have experience of the G W Models one? I think the £95 one sounds ideal for what I need rather than the heavy duty one.

Thanks in advance 

Cheers Tim

Whilst I have often longed for a sophisticated press when scratch building, I have found a simple drop hammer more than adequate for pushing out preformed rivets. Look at Eileen's Emporium. Gravity riveter £12.

Well worth the money if you are going to make a lot of etched kits. And by swapping the dies around and altering the depth you can make almost any size of rivet.

Also means you can get them in a straight line and add where there are not ones marked.

Edited by N15class

Whilst I have often longed for a sophisticated press when scratch building, I have found a simple drop hammer more than adequate for pushing out preformed rivets. Look at Eileen's Emporium. Gravity riveter £12.

Thanks Doilum I saw that one, what does it fit into? 

Cheers Tim

Well worth the money if you are going to make a lot of etched kits. And by swapping the dies around and altering the depth you can make almost any size of rivet.

Also means you can get them in a straight line and add where there are not ones marked.

Thanks Peter, useful to know.  I've been amazed just how many rivets Jim puts in his kits!

Cheers Tim