263 replies to this topic

#1 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationWhere Summer comes soonest...

Posted 12 January 2018 - 21:09

An OP for this topic... I will post some actual content later on!

All the best,

• Like x 2

#2 Edwardian

Edwardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,043 posts
  • LocationLand of the Prince Bishops

Posted 12 January 2018 - 22:27

Ah, I've just berated you further on Alex's topic!

But I look forward to more ion your 'doings' here.

#3 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 23:04

Right, let's start adding some pictures!

I think I'll begin with a screenshot of my LSWR 48ft Family Saloon artwork and attach some GER Artwork.

LSWR Family Saloon.png

Then reply to James' (Edwardian's) post in another thread...

The coaches will generally reflect my choice in locos rather than the original PC range, so starting with LBSCR, LSWR and SECR, then followed by LNWR and GER (Probably). I have done some limited GWR artwork, but not much that's of any use or value to anyone. I quite fancy doing Midland stock, but (a bit like the LNWR really) it's significantly better supported than, say, the GNoSR. As I'm doing this as a hobby, not a business, and at present are not expecting people to pay for it, I am more than willing to cover less supported railways, even ficitonal ones...

WNR Coaching stock, Mr J.E. Dwardian? If you are able to specify the various features you wish your coaches to feature, and with further knowledge of the livery, then we will see what we can arrange for you. I assume a private saloon for his Lordship would be in order, and of course all the peasant trucks Third Class stock can be finished to any standard that Sir thinks the poor  unsavoury Lower class travelling public would benefit from.

• Like x 4
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#4 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 23:05

GER Coach. Forgot to attach!

Attached File  GER D602 Bogie Composites, No 7 & No 8.pdf   402.89KB   36 downloads

• Like x 3

#5 BlueLightning

BlueLightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationHailsham, East Sussex

Posted 12 January 2018 - 23:31

Good to see you have started a thread for this!!

I am looking forward to seeing what you have done, and also to seeing some LNWR stock (yes really!!)

Gary

#6 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 23:39

Good to see you have started a thread for this!!

I am looking forward to seeing what you have done, and also to seeing some LNWR stock (yes really!!)

Gary

Your alligence to your comrades of Brighton appears to be waning Mr Lightning. Be Careful. The men in umber are watching you very closely as of now.

LNWR stock will come after LBSCR, LSWR, SECR, WNR and GER Stock. Of course, WNR only applies if the CME replies to my previous correspondence with regards Peasant & Cattle   (Non) Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock for the Poor Scum who are born to clean our chimney General Population of Achingham and Castle Aching.

• Like x 2

#7 BlueLightning

BlueLightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 23:50

Sir Eustace,

I assue you my interest in LNWR stock is entirely innocent! I only want to model the "Sunny South Express" as it heads down the Cuckoo line behind a B4, having been diverted from the Brighton mainline!!

Gary

• Like x 3

#8 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 23:57

They all says that... they all says that! Watjyer think I am, a nidyurt? Git adav it... pull the other one. 

Oi! I didn't mean lierally 'pull the other one'... I'll 'ave yer, I'll 'ave yer!

Aneeyway...

Reminds me to try and get some B4 drawings... Triang L1 chassis?

Sir Eustace... hmm. Started on the SECR, but I feel that another figure would be more in-period...

All the best,

G. Szlumper (Hope I spelt that correctly!)

• Like x 2

#9 BlueLightning

BlueLightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:00

Yes I will be using the Tri-ang L1 chassis actually!! I'm never one to waste a good X.04!!!

I think I have the drawings in a book somewhere. When I dig it out I will scan them and send them over to you!!

Gary

• Like x 2

#10 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:06

That would be very much appreciated! I bought the L1 ages ago for another project, and at present it's the only spare 4-coupled chassis I have! I'll probably swap the slightly filthy X04 with a 1980's one out of an E2 that got a Chinese chassis. The E2 one is brand new, not a single mark on it, and the brushes aren't marked either. It's never been run!

Which brings me to ask: how do you get worm gears off of X04's? I need the old worm gear on the new motor...

• Like x 2

#11 BlueLightning

BlueLightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:10

I have a tool for pulling the worm off. No idea where it is at the moment but I got it from eBay. I usually refurb the X.04s myself when redoing the engines. With a rare earth magnet and some new brushes and a damn good oil they will run as well as any modern motor!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning, 13 January 2018 - 00:10 .

#12 AVS1998

AVS1998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:13

Sir Eustace,

I assue you my interest in LNWR stock is entirely innocent! I only want to model the "Sunny South Express" as it heads down the Cuckoo line behind a B4, having been diverted from the Brighton mainline!!

Gary

That would be very much appreciated! I bought the L1 ages ago for another project, and at present it's the only spare 4-coupled chassis I have! I'll probably swap the slightly filthy X04 with a 1980's one out of an E2 that got a Chinese chassis. The E2 one is brand new, not a single mark on it, and the brushes aren't marked either. It's never been run!

Which brings me to ask: how do you get worm gears off of X04's? I need the old worm gear on the new motor...

Ah, the 'SSE' or 'Sunny South Special' as referred to in some material. Don't forget it reached most of the South Coast by various means; the Kent resorts also received their own service, but I imagine this was more likely to have been from East Anglia and the North (East) via Stratford and the North London line. (this is my long-winded way of saying I also take an interest in the LNW as well as the GNR)

Sem, you asked on my thread about locomotives we'd be interested in covers for; I'd be interested to see end-of-war and immediately post-war LBSCR Terriers. The E2 would be interesting, too, in the same livery; there's a scale body available on Shapeways.

I'm trying not to get carried away with ideas for you to try out now!

- Alex

#13 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:23

I have some for the E2 somewhere... Hornby, not scale. Same for the terriers, though I need to look into what liveries you refer to, and which war! Boer War? WW1? WWII? Cold War?! War on Terror?!!  :tomato:

I also meant what locos might anyone like to see me do as 3D prints! Can't say how long until they'd be available, but I'd be willing to do them nonetheless.

• Like x 2

#14 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:25

The new motor is still an X04, just a new one rather than a knackered one!

Will need to look into that tool...

• Like x 1

#15 AVS1998

AVS1998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:35

I have some for the E2 somewhere... Hornby, not scale. Same for the terriers, though I need to look into what liveries you refer to, and which war! Boer War? WW1? WWII? Cold War?! War on Terror?!!  :tomato:

I also meant what locos might anyone like to see me do as 3D prints! Can't say how long until they'd be available, but I'd be willing to do them nonetheless.

Well I did mean WW1; there's not much point in producing covers for WWII given everything was turned out in black... :P

As for 3D prints, I'd love to see an LBSC B1 tender locomotive. There are many locos I'd love to have, 3D printed or otherwise, but a fair few of them such as the Brighton B2s, 3s and 4s are easy enough to scratch build in brass or plastic.

I suppose something ubiquitous on railway systems would make sense, or less common or not widely produced locomotives. Ooh, alternative tenders would be brilliant, actually, for locomotives which had the potential to have run with different types.

#16 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 00:39

I have drawings for the B1 (In that book I mentioned), so that will be happening soon-ish (I have a triang M7 chassis block to measure for it... B2's, B3's and B4's should also be happening, and I have CAD for a D1 0-4-2T drawn up, with the E1 and D2 to follow at some stage.

Tenders will be done, and I think I will do a C2 (And C2x possibly too) based on your suggestion: long lived, Popular, and fairly ubiquitous.

• Like x 2

#17 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:04

Thought I'd better show a layout and some trains other than an R1!

My current stop-gap LBSCR layout, almost entirely proprietry (I know... I just wanted something quickly!):

Salvington is a small station, almost a halt (but pre-dating the Railmotor era by some way) on a fictional branch heading North from West Worthing up to Findon and on to Washington and Ashington. At least 90% of the inspiration for the layout was Oak Hill, so it's all Gary's fault!

Salv Construction.JPG

Initial Construction shot, with some of my kit-bashes visible on the left!

Salv Construction Terriers.JPG

My two I.E.G. Terriers. I do have Beulah in her 2-4-0 form in the works (Gary: where did you get the transfers for that one?) picked up for £10 brand new from the Bluebell Sales stand at East Grinstead Show last year. I don't know how I managed to get that for that price, but I did!

Salv E4 2.JPG

Bachmann E4 at Salvington on a Brighton service.

Salv E4 1.JPG

And looking the other way... towards Ashington.

Salv E2.jpg

The aforementioned E2: Note the Peco hut and buffers. And the code 100 track...

EE Terrier.JPG

Not Salvington, but Waddon makes an appearance on my West London micro-layout 'Ealing East'. Set in the 1950's, but rule 1 and all that!

EE Peckett.JPG

The more usual shunter of Ealing East Yard, if a Pannier is absent.

IOW Terrier.JPG

And in amongst those was a picture of a real one!

• Like x 6

#18 Mikkel

Mikkel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,814 posts
  • LocationSomewhat rotten in the state of Denmark

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:01

Wonderful stuff, especially the E4 shots. Marsh Umber goes right to my heart every time.

I wonder what Waterloo would make of this though! Their coaches casually abandoned in a stock box, and not a LSWR loco in sight!  :mosking:

#19 BlueLightning

BlueLightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:32

I have some for the E2 somewhere

Goods Black as it should be?

At least 90% of the inspiration for the layout was Oak Hill, so it's all Gary's fault!

My two I.E.G. Terriers. I do have Beulah in her 2-4-0 form in the works (Gary: where did you get the transfers for that one?)

Still amazed that anyone finds my work that inspiring!!

As for Beulah, have a sheet of Terrier transfers!!! Attached File  terrierSheet.pdf   1.34MB   33 downloads

• Like x 4

#20 Regularity

Regularity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationMiddle Anglia: a forgotten Kingdom, but the melting pot which produced the English language.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:59

I have a tool for pulling the worm off.

You can get arrested for things like that!

I usually refurb the X.04s myself when redoing the engines. With a rare earth magnet and some new brushes and a damn good oil they will run as well as any modern motor!

They were exceptionally well made motors, so I am not surprised how well they perform with a refurb.
  • Funny x 1
  • Like x 1

#21 BlueLightning

BlueLightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:06

You can get arrested for things like that!

I had a mouthful of drink when I read that!!

Gary

• Friendly/Supportive x 2

#22 Regularity

Regularity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationMiddle Anglia: a forgotten Kingdom, but the melting pot which produced the English language.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:17

I had a mouthful of drink when I read that!!

Gary

...and it now decorates the wall?
  • Like x 2

#23 BlueLightning

BlueLightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 14:32

...and it now decorates the wall?

and the laptop!!

Gary

• Friendly/Supportive x 2

#24 Regularity

Regularity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 15:03

and the laptop!!

Take it to the local repair shop, and tell them it got damaged because of a discussion on a model railway forum abouts4xually abusing worms, and see how they react..;)
  • Funny x 3

#25 BlueLightning

BlueLightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 15:04

Take it to the local repair shop, and tell them it got damaged because of a discussion on a model railway forum abouts4xually abusing worms, and see how they react.. ;)

Luckily it is water proof. The biggest problem with that however is that I used to own to local laptop repair shop! So they would all believe me!!

Gary

• Funny x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pre-Grouping, LBSCR, LSWR, SECR, Loco, Coach, 3D Print, Printed Sides, Kits, CAD