Well... two engines!

The 'G6' and what has now been christened Mid Sussex Light Railway (Allows me to use MS&LR Transfers from GCR packs!) No.12 'Ashington' are one of the same, just with different chassis plonked underneath!

Why the change from LGWR?

attachicon.gifLGWR.png

I love this.  Filling in the map with extra railways.  Good to see that not just West Norfolk is thus afflicted; West Sussex too!

This list will continue expanding, methinks...

attachicon.gifIMG_1332.JPG

I think I'm getting there with the 4-4-0... some more filling and sanding and a few more adjustments yet to do... then the tender. Hmm...

attachicon.gifIMG_1333.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1334.JPG

The 'G6' after filling and sanding, perched on a GBL C class chassis that Linny sent me for the photographs.

attachicon.gifIMG_1335.JPG

And on the Dapol 4800 chassis it will be living on for the foreseeable future, hence why the splashers have disappeared! I quite like it... not my plan, but I like it...

I whole heartedly agree with Annie and Neil; that does look good as an 0-4-2T. 

It is the South Western 0-4-2T that Adams never designed!  But he might have done. 

I was looking at the stovepipe chimney and the safety valves and thinking "you know, that could be a lost GER design, come to that"

And here is where it gets interesting.  West Norfolk 0-4-2T No.1 is going to be a more or less straight copy of Colne Valley No.1, a locomotive clearly derived from S W Johnson's T7 Class for the Great Eastern.  The Great Eastern were backers of the Colne Valley.  As they were also backers of the West Norfolk, it seems likely that a T7-derived loco is also found on that line. 

So, I look at your 0-4-2T G6, and I wonder if your light railway had some connection with Adams, or the South Western.  Perhaps the South Western wanted a stalking horse to expand eastward and gain running powers from Havant to Brighton!  Improbable, but some such story could be devised.  The point being that the South Western might own shares in and support the Light Railway, which, like the West Norfolk, benefits from a powerful ally keen to keep a local rival at bay, but manages to remain independent by playing the both ends against the middle.

In such a scenario, Adams at the SW might well have been asked to pen a branch passenger engine for your line?

Don't think I have not considered that, as Adams succeeded Johnson on the GER, before he went to the LSW, it would make a very model for his version of the T7 design for a line such as the West Norfolk!  

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

Well... two engines!

The 'G6' and what has now been christened Mid Sussex Light Railway (Allows me to use MS&LR Transfers from GCR packs!) No.12 'Ashington' are one of the same, just with different chassis plonked underneath!

Why the change from LGWR?

attachicon.gifLGWR.png

I was looking at the map and was wondering what the time line for the various construction dates are. Which came first, and in what order?

I was also thinking that the MSLR route would be better if it went up from the west of Durrington, (past Castle Goring), up Long Furlong (A280), to Findon village, then follows the A24 route to Washington. That would give less hills to go up and down, and also allow for a station/halt at Findon. If the the route stayed on the east side of the valley exit to Washington it would pass the old chalk quarry that is there (Industrial sidings!!), keep hugging the side of the downs as it descends just to the east of Washington. (Halt for the gentry at Wiston House?, private siding?), passes to the north of Washington where it splits and goes to Ashington, (past the sand pits, even more freight traffic).

The branch to Storrington could go to the western side of the town. Mustn't have the gentry at Parham House being left out!

Also, this branch could continue to west to join the line from Arundel/Amberley (narrow gauge at Amberley) to Horsham line.

It could also go east from Washington Junction to join the Shoreham/Steyning north line.

Note :- This would be an alternative East/West route running North of the South Downs (that's all the cardinal points in there :) )

I'll do a map a bit later.

Also, just remembered, there's more sand pits at Sullington, between Storrington and Washington

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

It was just a rough map, but everything you raised is perfectly valid and I will amend the map later. Findon would prove crucial here, if the line was LSWR backed as proposed, as the MSLR line North from there would be a block to any potential Northward LBSCR expansion of their Findon branch.

• RMweb Gold

The G6 was to all intents and purposes an O2 0-4-4T with the trailing bogie replaced by a coupled driving axle, at the design stage.

Adams designed a number of 0-4-4T locos for the GER where the rear bogie was subsequently replaced by a trailing axle.

Obviously, what we have here is an example of the same thing happening to an O2 as happened to, for example, the 140 class on the GER...

Well, for only my second ever lining out of a loco, and the first in about a year, I'm quite pleased with the result so far, with one side completed.

Some very cruel close-ups: the finish is so much better in reality!

post-33498-0-03153500-1524555548_thumb.jpg

post-33498-0-05361000-1524555592_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks! It took most of last night to get it right, but I'm pleased with it.

Grinding out the tender and chopping down the tender chassis are proving 'fun'...

But to receive praise for an LNWR loco from one of a Midland persuasion... that's unheard of!!!

• Like 2

I just found a picture of this LNWR loco, looks quite interesting (found here):

LNWR 0-4-2 1870.jpg

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows of any drawings of LMR Lion or Tiger when they were rebuilt with round-top boilers? I have looked but cant find anything.

Alex

That backscene looks very wrinkled.... have they stuck it down with PVA then kept it somewhere damp....?

:-)

I just found a picture of this LNWR loco, looks quite interesting (found here):

LNWR 0-4-2 1870.jpg

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows of any drawings of LMR Lion or Tiger when they were rebuilt with round-top boilers? I have looked but cant find anything.

Alex

They never had round top boilers, the arc-de-cloitre firebox casing was a controversial addition upon lions restoration in 1930,

A kit for Lion in both 00 and N has been released on shapeways, along with Dans coach https://www.shapeways.com/product/TYZDNB2S6/00-scale-lion-titfield-thunderbolt-loco?optionId=65286630

Well, for only my second ever lining out of a loco, and the first in about a year, I'm quite pleased with the result so far, with one side completed.

Some very cruel close-ups: the finish is so much better in reality!

attachicon.gifIMG_1339.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1340.JPG

Some very impressive work there, Sem.

Not least of which is that lining out.  How did you do it?

Some very impressive work there, Sem.

Not least of which is that lining out.  How did you do it?

I cheated. I used HMRS Transfers!

They never had round top boilers, the arc-de-cloitre firebox casing was a controversial addition upon lions restoration in 1930,

A kit for Lion in both 00 and N has been released on shapeways, along with Dans coach https://www.shapeways.com/product/TYZDNB2S6/00-scale-lion-titfield-thunderbolt-loco?optionId=65286630

A few more off my list! Hopefully he upscales a few bits to 4mm... I may need to get in touch with him and discuss what he is planning for the future, to save duplication. His models are very reasonable in price too!

• Like 1

Always found this 'Lion' look alike interesting. Sorry about the poor quality but that's how they came and I have no idea where I got it in the first place. The dome sets it apart from 'Lion' as preserved - would make quite an interesting variation on the theme.

Dave R.

post-24168-0-86881900-1524584765_thumb.jpg

post-24168-0-90523000-1524584769_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Having re-read what I read in the first place, I think I see where I got the info wrong. ;)

Alex

Edit: You say the firebox casing was controversial, so is the loco as it appears in Titfield Thunderbolt suitable for say the 1850s? Or would it have looked too different?

From new to 1844 I believe she had a dome, much like Venus, as did most large Samson class engines, on rebuilding by Dewrance (post 1844) she would have looked like this

Big%20Loco.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The 3D model he has of Coppernob is very interesting too.