696 replies to this topic

#676 Devo63

Devo63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Oz

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:11

Love the work on the LNWR model. Have you decided on a name & number for it?

I know it is only a first prototype but I greatly admired the work you put in to the model of Derwent for Edwardian. 3D seems to be the way to go for models which have a narrow fanbase - I'm hanging out for one myself when you have time to refine the print. If you are looking for someone to do a test build I'm quite happy to buy a development model.

Below is a suggestion for another 3D print. The Drummond 'Bug' was released as a kit sometime in the past but was outside of my limited spending power at the time. Seeing what Edwardian did with the power bogie for his model gave me the idea that I could power the Bug in the same way with a Spud or Black Beetle fitted under the saloon part. Even though I mainly model GWR and to a lesser extent LNWR I would love to have one of these running around in LSWR green with the salmon and brown coach part.

Dave R.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bug.jpg

• Like x 4
  • Thanks x 1

#677 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • LocationWhere Summer comes soonest...

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:30

The Webb Compound is due to become 1938 'Sultan', when I find the other nameplate! The numbers are already on.

• Like x 5
  • Thanks x 1

#678 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 21:21

IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

Not perfect but almost there.

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 9
  • Like x 5

#679 Annie

Annie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 April 2018 - 21:26

My word that's turning out well Sem.

• Agree x 3
  • Thanks x 1

#680 Midland Mole

Midland Mole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationWorcestershire

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:18

Ooooh that looks good!

Alex

• Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#681 RedGemAlchemist

RedGemAlchemist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationGreat Ellingham, Norfolk, England

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:38

Wow that's NICE. Good job as always Sem!
  • Agree x 2
  • Thanks x 1

#682 Edwardian

Edwardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,997 posts
  • LocationLand of the Prince Bishops

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:49

attachicon.gifIMG_1341.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1344.JPG

Not perfect but almost there.

Craftsman Clever indeed, Sem.

You should be particularly proud of this one.

I don't need one, but I find I want one!

One in that lovely poured silky medium that Linny's has his G6 in would look lovely with those LNWR coaches I have knocking around.  Could one find its way from Northants to CA?  Mind you, no doubt too long for the TT!

• Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#683 Shadow

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:42

Just to let you know SEM, that Locomotive Pioneer book is back ready for you to download from the library!

Hard copy also available at Worthing, Rustington, Bognor Regis and Chichester (not sure where on West Sussex coast you are!) Have a good read :)
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#684 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:57

I will go and search a copy out... I can access three of those libraries easily, so will probably look tomorrow.

• Like x 1

#685 AVS1998

AVS1998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:16

I will go and search a copy out... I can access three of those libraries easily, so will probably look tomorrow.

Don't forget libraries can also undertake inter-loans between local areas and possibly regions (although East Sussex' library service is dismal, so good luck with that...). I'm due in London tomorrow for my passport interview and I'll be activating my British Library membership; I'll see if there's anything of interest to report back to you all! Ashford library used to have a vast railway section, obviously due to its connection with the Steam Works, however when the library was rebuilt in the early 2000s (don't quote me on the year!) it was decimated and the books sold to the KESR, Bluebell and surrounding model clubs.

What remains is not necessarily not useful, but it isn't expansive, which is a shame as it's the easiest place to research, for me at least, or for me to research on behalf of other people.

- Alex

Edited by AVS1998, 29 April 2018 - 11:20 .

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#686 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 20:32

This was offered to friends, but due to a limited response I have decided to open it up to anyone:

I am currently disposing of some stock and other bits and pieces prior to a house move, so thought I'd give you lot first dibs. There is quite a bit of tat, but you never know: here is the listing, with the 'taken' bits crossed out. There are some other bits, but most of the stock I own is here: https://www.snupps.com/sem34090

Please feel free to enquire, and offer a price, and I will tell you whether or not you can or can't have it at that price! Or have it at all... if it's in LBSCR livery then don't bother!

1x Triang bogie flat. £2

1x Hornby Railroad Gresley Brake, sans bogies. £4

1x Triang BR Std Tender £3

1x Triang B12 4-6-0. £30

1x Lima J50 0-6-0. £25

So, body parts...

1x Hornby LNER A3 Smokebox, Boiler and buffer section. 50p

1x Hornby LNER A3 Cab.

1x Mainline Royal Scot Boiler, Smokebox and Firebox. 50p

1x Hornby LNER A3 Boiler section. 10p

1x Hornby Peppercorn A1 Cab.

1x Mainline Std 4 Cab, Firebox & Boiler.

1x Mainline Royal Scot Firebox. 10p

1x Bachmann Class 03 Cab. 25p

1x Triang LNER A3 Cab.

1x Triang LNER A3 Smokebox, Boiler & Firebox. 50p

1x Hornby Gresley Corridor Tender. £5

1x Bachmann Class 03 Running Plate. 50p

1x Mainline Royal Scot Smokebox. 5p

1x Lima 4w Coach. 30p

1x Lima 0-4-0 chassis. £1.50

1x Triang BR Std 3MT Body. 50p

1x Triang Princess Body. 50p

1x Hornby Breakdown Crane.

1x Lima American 0-4-0T Body. 30p

1x Triang Jinty Cab and Bunker. 15p

1x Triang M7 smokebox & Tanks. 20p

1x Hornby Dublo R1 Front end. 25p

1x Mainline Royal Scot Cab. 25p

Edited by sem34090, 14 May 2018 - 06:29 .

• Like x 3

#687 Sarahagain

Sarahagain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales

Posted 13 May 2018 - 14:53

REMINDER!

The current (out 10th May) Model Rail has part 2 of the LBSCR Terrier feature.....the locos sold on to others...

I have had a quick look today, and it looks interesting.

I am hoping to buy a copy on Wednesday from a Tesco, as last months issue from Tesco was a bundle with Steam Railway mag for £4.99.... ;)

• Like x 1

#688 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 15:32

A very helpful little bump there, Sarah...

Oh God, what have I set up?!

• Funny x 1

#689 Shadow

Shadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast

Posted 15 May 2018 - 15:48

Was browsing down at Waterstones today and saw these two.

Great Western Small-Wheeled Double-Framed 4-4-0 Tender Locomotives: Duke, Bulldog, Dukedog and 3521 Classes

61No7VcXFZL._SY484_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Times : The First Railways

download.jpeg
  • Like x 4
  • Informative/Useful x 3

#690 RedGemAlchemist

RedGemAlchemist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 16:18

Great Western Small-Wheeled Double-Framed 4-4-0 Tender Locomotives: Duke, Bulldog, Dukedog and 3521 Classes

61No7VcXFZL._SY484_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wow. Talk about specific.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist, 15 May 2018 - 16:18 .

• Agree x 2

#691 Sarahagain

Sarahagain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales

Posted 17 May 2018 - 18:52

REMINDER!

The current (out 10th May) Model Rail has part 2 of the LBSCR Terrier feature.....the locos sold on to others...

I have had a quick look today, and it looks interesting.

I am hoping to buy a copy on Wednesday from a Tesco, as last months issue from Tesco was a bundle with Steam Railway mag for £4.99.... ;)

Update on Model Rail...

Loco Spotlight Stroudley's 'Terriers' Part 2. (The Locos sold by the LBSCR)

Pages 88 - 93.

Pages 88/89

Introduction and large photo of "Freshwater", W8 in Southern Green at IOW Steam Railway.

Pg. 90.

Details of 6 destinations. 3 small BW pics, (K&ESR, L&SWR & SECR) and one colour pic (Newhaven Harbour. Fenchurch 1958).

Pg.91.

Details of 4 destinations. 3 B/W pics. (S&MR, WC&PR & EHLR). Reccomended Reading. What's Next (Details of Part 1backnumber!).

Pg.92.

"Second-hand 'Terrier' walk-round". 7, mainly detail pics, of BR 32670 (Ex K&ESR, with unique modified bunker...)

Pg. 93.

Isle of Wight.The IOW Terriers. 2 BW photos, inluding 1 with Stroudley type coach set 49 (Both 1936). List of details of IOW Terriers.

No bundle deal this month though! :(

• Informative/Useful x 2

#692 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:22

Wow! I'm posting in my own thread...

I had posted this elsewhere, but here is better:

On a completely separate note (  :offtopic: ), does anyone have any information on this design of LSWR van and how awkward a conversion from a GWR van would be:

2031-5513-LSWR-Engineers-Dept.-Ballast-P

Also, did the LSWR (or LBSCR, or any other Southern constituent!) have anything that resembled this:

download.png

I appear to have acquired one... along with a Roco 0-6-0T (HOe), a K's Terrier, a PC models Toplight, a K's autocoach, an SR CCT and a Ratio GWR 4w Third.

Actually, are there any Southern constituent vehicles those could represent with minimal modification? Other than the terrier... that has only one thing destined for it: IEG, No.77 plates and a name beginning with 'W'!

• Like x 1

#693 AVS1998

AVS1998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:46

On a completely separate note (  :offtopic: ), does anyone have any information on this design of LSWR van and how awkward a conversion from a GWR van would be:

Also, did the LSWR (or LBSCR, or any other Southern constituent!) have anything that resembled this:

attachicon.gifdownload.png

I appear to have acquired one... along with a Roco 0-6-0T (HOe), a K's Terrier, a PC models Toplight, a K's autocoach, an SR CCT and a Ratio GWR 4w Third.

Actually, are there any Southern constituent vehicles those could represent with minimal modification? Other than the terrier... that has only one thing destined for it: IEG, No.77 plates and a name beginning with 'W'!

With regards to the GW stock, don't forget rolling stock would possibly have been placed on inter-regional workings if passenger stock, and freight stock was supposedly 'common-user'; owned by the company but could be seen in far-flung places, so you could plausibly have a GW bogie van (IIRC converted to ducket-removed newspaper vans later in their lives) popping up on the Southern. The four wheel carriage could have its windows boarded in and run with a crane as an equipment van? And the autocoach, well, I suppose you could attempt a steam railmotor, or you could build the coach as designed, copy the driving end in plasticard and use that to replace the blank end, and then you'd have a (very) basic Director's Saloon?

The CCT van, I suppose if you reworked the sides and ends a little, could become a SECR 'Cavell' van? Narrow-gauge stock you can always mess around with and somehow have it turn out 'right'!

- Alex

Edited by AVS1998, Yesterday, 13:46 .

• Like x 2

#694 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:40

The NG loco is already finished in BR Green (Late Crest) as 32001 (The I1x that was allocated that number was withdrawn in 1948, so I have assumed that its number (and the numbers of other I1x's which were gone by 1951) were re-allocated to the fleet of locomotives which worked the network of narrow gauge lines that comprised the South Sussex Narrow Gauge Railways, having previously carried single digit numbers prefixed by 'F' which denoted the fact that the locos were allocated to Fontwell. The locos were overhauled at Brighton and when absorbed into the BR 5-digit numbering scheme they were placed in the 'Brighton' 32xxx series.

32001 is modelled as it appeared around 1965. It was in this year that the German-Built (pre-WW1) 0-6-0T was transferred from the South Sussex lines to the South Dorset system radiating from Lulworth, and she was allocated to 70G (NG Shed) at Weymouth. During this time the loco was overhauled at Eastleigh. She was withdrawn from service in 1971 when the South Dorset lines to the West of Lulworth were closed and operations were concentrated on the section running from Studland in the East through Swanage and Kimmeridge to a remodelled East Lulworth. The line was to be privatised at the same time as the only other remaining steam line (the Vale of Rheidol) in 1989.

Following her 1971 withdrawal, 32001 was stored at Weymouth on a piece of isolated NG track in the area of the Western sidings, before being purchased by an 85 year old Sir Eustace Missenden in 1972, and she was transferred to the Brockham museum. Unfortunately, Sir Eustace passed away the following year and the loco remained in a derelict state at Brockham. In 1982 32001 was moved to the museum's new site at Amberley. There the loco remained until 1985, when it was purchased by the embryonic Slindon Vale Railway Society which aimed to restore the loco to running order for use on the line between the original depot at Fontwell and the terminus junction at Nore Wood. During the restoration period D2 (Transferred from Sussex to Dorset at the same time as 32001 but remaining in service until 1983) handled services.

I will say more later about the other bits, but must go for now...

• Informative/Useful x 1

#695 RedGemAlchemist

RedGemAlchemist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:58

Very nice indeed!

• Like x 1

#696 Edwardian

Edwardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,997 posts
  • LocationLand of the Prince Bishops

Posted Yesterday, 17:25

Don't mutilate that K15!

Roxey do some nice LSWR full brakes of that general ilk.  Second-hand you can find them with a thin, sort of vac-formed-like, plastic sides, roof and ends.

PC toplights are always worth it.  Replace the sides, if you don't like the method they use, but as a bag of component, it must be £30-50 of stuff!  I think in terms of GW conversions, of course; I don't suppose they're much good for anything Southern.

Edited by Edwardian, Yesterday, 17:28 .

• Like x 1

#697 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted Today, 07:27

Right. The Autocoach is remaining as an autocoach (it is quite well-built) and will probably end up in BR Crimson, simply because all my Western stuff, and the layout it will run on, dates from between 1940 and 1960.

The toplight will get a new roof to replace the card one it currently has and will be refitted onto its bogies.

The K15 may stay as-is as it is relatively well-built, but if an LSWR equivalent can be found then it will be repainted.

The 4w third will go into full GWR livery if no LSWR/SECR/LBSCR alternative can be found.

The CCT will probably go into BR(S) Green to go with my BR(S) stock.

The spare set of Gibson Mansells may find a use under one of Linny's Stroudley's.

• Like x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pre-Grouping, LBSCR, LSWR, SECR, Loco, Coach, 3D Print, Printed Sides, Kits, CAD