N Gauge Decoder Advice please

H i,

I am a newbie to the world of DCC & N gauge too. I have purchased a Digicentral DR5000 after seeing this unit at Warley. I now need decoders for my fleet of 6 diesel loco's which are a mix of Farish & Dapol DCC Ready loco's.

Having trawled the internet, it seems that soundchips are around the £100 mark? which is too expensive for me, so I have turned my attention to stay alive 6 pin decoders now. I am wondering if 2 function chips will be fine for lights & movement? I have these two choices below if they are any good?  but I am also interested in any others that you can recommend ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCC-Concepts-DCD-ZN6D-5-Zen-6-Pin-Direct-2-Func-DCC-Decoder-Stay-Alive-Pk5/322868787492?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCC-Decoder-2-function-6-pin-New-2A-1A-and-Capacitor-N-scale-Laisdcc-UK-Stock/152861133707?hash=item23973bcb8b:g:r5AAAOSwL7VWn-3z

Any help would be very much appreciated ! :)

IIRC there was some talk about the LAIS chips being counterfeit and not performing well? - I use Lenz silver and gold mini (I like Railcom :)) which fit into my HOe locos (N gauge chassis) and perform very well, though I don't use all the functions due to lack of space, stay-alive isn't an option in an H0e loco :(

I do have one LAIS chip that I use in my Tomix rail cleaner and it performs for me, but that is a single speed and I don't need it to even go in reverse (hoovers don't work when they blow :))

• Like 1

N Gauge Phill..??!! :O blimey I bet that stuff looks TINY..!!! ;) :jester:

I've just sold off my lad's N Gauge - he's totally lost interest in trains, & it's far too small for me. Will be watching your new venture with interest! :yes:

Edit, in a more useful vein, I too would be very wary of cheap Chinese DCC chips.

2 functions would suit having directional lights, in terms of "our" Era of locos, but maybe not enough for modern era locos with day/night variations in headlights.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

2 function is generally fine for n gauge. I can't comment on these clips though as I have not used them. I normally use chips from Zimo or CT. 

Another thumbs up for the £20 Zimo from me, I have a Farish Fairburn tank that didn't run well with either Gaugemanster, Lenz or the cheap eBaaaaay Lais Decoders, but on recomendation I tride a Zimo and the Fairburn now runs a sweet as the rest of my fleet, and at only £20 it will be the only one I will now use.

Paul