Black Drake Wharf II

vaughan45

Quick update - At the right hand side of the layout the factory yard wall has been completed, an accommodation crossing installed and a corrugated roof and guttering has been fitted to the small warehouse. This building now needs the window frame and downpipe fitting and the roof painted and weathered. The slow business of painting the warehouse bricks continues. A JLTRT 2 plank open kit has been completed and now awaits GWR lettering.

gallery_8865_4340_259175.jpg

Edited by vaughan45
  • Like 6

Hi Vaughan, love your modelling.  Could I ask how you did your setts?

Best Tim

Hi Tim,

I cheated as they are from embossed pre-printed sheets produced by Redutex. The UK distributor is DCC Supplies or they can be ordered directly from the producers in Spain.

Hope this helps,

Cheers Vaughan

This week has been mainly about roofing, next stage is to complete the window frame, add a rainwater downpipe, add bolts to each corrugated sheet and bed into the scenery. Some foliage will be added at the back of the roof to give the impression of tall bushes growing behind the building. Must flatten or hide those small bumps in the sky!!

gallery_8865_4340_535792.jpg

Edited by vaughan45
  • Like 5

Hi Tim,

I cheated as they are from embossed pre-printed sheets produced by Redutex. The UK distributor is DCC Supplies or they can be ordered directly from the producers in Spain.

Hope this helps,

Cheers Vaughan

Thanks Vaughan, they look really good, I bought the Plasticard setts but they were too uniform, but these are excellent.

Best Tim

Partly Completed O Gauge Cameo / Micro Layout For Disposal

Unfortunately a sudden change in my health means the simple layout 'Black Drake Wharf' is now unlikely to be completed. Therefore before it goes to the great layout scrap yard in the sky, I wondered if it would be of interest to anyone on RMWeb. Track laying and wiring on the layout are complete, although some work is required to complete buildings & scenery.

​The key details are:

• ​Layout size - 5ft long x 19" wide x 17" high. The layout is currently located on shelf so has no legs
  • ​Baseboard - 6mm plywood baseboards with 6mm plywood ends and rear. Exterior colour light green, underside of baseboards have been painted with matt varnish. There are no fiddle yards as yet, but there is one single track cassette that has been used for testing purposes. 
  • ​The front facia has two strips of LED lighting that run the full length of the layout, the transformer to power these is installed under the layout
  • ​Also behind the front facia are two cube sound speakers wired together with an external jack plug connection (small type as used on mobile phone headphones)
  • Track & two Peco Settrack Turnouts 
  • ​Currently wired for DCC, the turnout Unifrogs are fed from the switches on the two DCC Concepts point motors with built in decoders. All wiring is complete and leads to an NCE Power Cab connection panel on the front of the layout. The point motors are wired to the layout power bus so they can be switched from the NCE Power Cab handset. An NCE electronic switch is also mounted under the baseboard that can feed a programming track via a 3 DIN plug & socket
  • ​Some of the scenery and buildings are complete
  • The following are still loose as they require completion - Front left side small warehouse, rear right side large warehouse, water tower (tank complete, but base still requires painting) and small building left front.
  • ​Available with the layout is a box of plastic parts to complete the large rear right warehouse including windows and doors etc.
  • ​The parts to complete the Peco lineside crane are also included.
  • ​No locomotives or stock are included with layout as they are being disposed of separately

​The layout is located in Mid-Bedfordshire and will require collection in a vehicle of a suitable size. Please PM me if you have any questions or are interested in making an offer.

The photos below show the current state of construction.

Thanks, Vaughan

gallery_8865_4340_602311.jpg

gallery_8865_4340_1518005.jpg

gallery_8865_4340_1336750.jpg

I am extremely sorry to hear your news Vaughan, all I can say is that I wish you the very best for the future and that your health will improve.

You have produced an excellent layout and I trust it will be relocated in a worthy home with someone who appreciates all of your dedication and hard work.

All the very best,

Kindest regards,

Grahame

• 2 weeks later...

I am extremely sorry to hear your news Vaughan, all I can say is that I wish you the very best for the future and that your health will improve.

You have produced an excellent layout and I trust it will be relocated in a worthy home with someone who appreciates all of your dedication and hard work.

All the very best,

Kindest regards,

Grahame

I have now bought the layout from Vaughan and intend to complete it pretty much as he intended. This may take some time as I am in the process of selling my house in Derby and moving to North Wales, nearer to one of my daughters, and I'm not noted for speedy layout building anyway.

I will, however, make some attempt to keep every one who was following Vaughan's excellent work, up to date with my snail like progress. I intend to use it, like my 0-16.5 Port Wynnstay Quayside layout, to accompany my trade stand at some of the exhibitions I attend.

Phil T.

Port Wynnstay Models

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 2

I have now bought the layout from Vaughan and intend to complete it pretty much as he intended. This may take some time as I am in the process of selling my house in Derby and moving to North Wales, nearer to one of my daughters, and I'm not noted for speedy layout building anyway.

I will, however, make some attempt to keep every one who was following Vaughan's excellent work, up to date with my snail like progress. I intend to use it, like my 0-16.5 Port Wynnstay Quayside layout, to accompany my trade stand at some of the exhibitions I attend.

Phil T.

Port Wynnstay Models

Thanks Phil, it was a pleasure to meet you on Friday. Hope you enjoy the layout and look forward to hearing about your progress.

All the best with your proposed move,

Regards Vaughan

• 7 months later...

After a long and awkward house move during which most of my stuff had to go into store for a couple of months I have a small update of jobs I managed to do "off site" .

Keeping in context with the layout name I came up with a name for the engineering works and made up factory wall signage for it and also whilst browsing in "The Works" shop in Caernarfon I came across some laser cut ply letters at a very reasonable price which will make up into nice tidy signage for the layout itself. Hopefully they will show on the link attached, the pictures have extended captions which explain them.        

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmtw9sow

I also managed to spray paint a textured stone finish on the water tower stone work which appears to have been a success, pictures of that later. Had to have a new camera during the move too as the old one gave up and I lost those pictures. I managed to build the yard crane which Vaughan had supplied too but that is not painted yet. 

I cheered myself up, but not my wallet, by buying a Minerva Peckett,  to keep the loco I bought from Vaughan company.

That is about it to date, more to follow as life gets back to what passes for normal.

Phil Traxson 

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 2

H

After a long and awkward house move during which most of my stuff had to go into store for a couple of months I have a small update of jobs I managed to do "off site" .

Keeping in context with the layout name I came up with a name for the engineering works and made up factory wall signage for it and also whilst browsing in "The Works" shop in Caernarfon I came across some laser cut ply letters at a very reasonable price which will make up into nice tidy signage for the layout itself. Hopefully they will show on the link attached, the pictures have extended captions which explain them.        

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmtw9sow

I also managed to spray paint a textured stone finish on the water tower stone work which appears to have been a success, pictures of that later. Had to have a new camera during the move too as the old one gave up and I lost those pictures. I managed to build the yard crane which Vaughan had supplied too but that is not painted yet. 

I cheered myself up, but not my wallet, by buying a Minerva Peckett,  to keep the loco I bought from Vaughan company.

That is about it to date, more to follow as life gets back to what passes for normal.

Phil Traxson 

Hi Phil, the sign looks great.  Do keep us posted it's a lovely layout.  Good luck 

Cheers Tim

H

Hi Phil, the sign looks great.  Do keep us posted it's a lovely layout.  Good luck 

Cheers Tim

Vaughan set the bar fairly high, I hope I can keep up to his standard.

I should have more time for my own layouts as, once the workshop is sorted, most of my work will be producing my Port Wynnstay Models range, having now passed on most of my contract work so that I can semi-retire(perhaps).

Phil T.

And so the letters made it onto the fascia https://flic.kr/p/2e5r3mU. Despite the appearance the letters are dark green and the fascia light green, day light bulb in the workroom and the camera hasn't compensated for it and I'm only a push the button photographer picture taker. https://flic.kr/p/2cV1RXa and the Black Drake made it onto the fascia too.

Phil T.

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

12 months on and there is a little progress on Black Drake Wharf, mostly quite recent as it is going to the 2020 Trent Valley Open day and it really ought to look as if I am intending to complete it at some point.

49389794021_36cefe548b_c.jpgIMG_0271 by Phil Traxson, on Flickr

The right hand building now has paint, windows,doors and its signage added. The opposite end has a sign designed and it's first iteration is temporarily fixed to the building (blu-tac) . A few more wagons have been added to the stock and two or three more are built but not painted, must put some brake gear on some of those I am using too. Another loco, the Manning Wardle, from Minerva that I couldn't resist, and there is an order in for a Dapol Sentinel which is due in the very near future.  

49389988677_2a35151a7f_c.jpgIMG_0270 by Phil Traxson, on Flickr

49389982297_09112b8894_c.jpgIMG_0269 by Phil Traxson, on Flickr

49389979632_ba3ae673a0_c.jpgIMG_0268 by Phil Traxson, on Flickr

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 9

Looking very good Phil and loving the signage.

Glad to see the layout is still in existence and look forward to seeing future developments. Unfortunately due to our imminent house move to Norfolk I can't get to see it on Saturday.

Regards Vaughan

• 1 year later...

During the lockdowns I am living-in at my daughters place near to Caernarfon rather than on my own, with visits back to the workshop in Porthmadog when needed. This has meant that I have time to build and reduce my stash of flat pack "0" gauge wagon kits, some of which have been lying around for best part of 20 years! 

IMG_0479

Clicking on this picture will take you to a Flickr account and under Albums, The Lockdown Collection, you can see how I've been filling my time. Only 4 more to go and its down to detailing and weathering them. I even managed to start paving Black Drake Forge yard on some of my "workshop" visits whilst waiting for resin to cure for customers kits. The captions give some history and age of some of the kits. Just have to resist buying more or maybe even build some of my own products!

Edited by Phil Traxson
hit the send button too early by mistake
  • Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

A little more lockdown work in progress. As a change from wagon building I've started to build a Lucam to add to the front of Salmon & Ellis's bakery using some photo's of the Midland grain warehouses in Burton on Trent for inspiration. I think that this wooden addition will help break up the mass of brickwork across the back of the scene. Still a work in progress but opinions will be appreciated although they may not be acted upon. At the moment it is held in place with a couple of dabs of Blu-tac

IMG_0500

IMG_0499

The plan is to paint the vertical corner cover timbers in the same green as the window frames and put slates on the roof, the present roof is just the solid former to form the base for these. I've used scraps of embossed plastic for these to give me guide lines to work from when laying the slates. I have also cut out the barge board for the end which I intend to attach once I have the slates on, this too will be green. I have some gutter castings which I intend to connect to the down pipes which are already there. I think the "enamel" Salmon & Ellis sign visible on previous photo's is going on the front of the Lucam too. Now I have an excuse to build a couple of roof door vans for flour delivery, maybe one LNWR and one LMS(ex L & Y) although might have to scratch build those unless some one does a kit for them. A couple more photo's on Flickr plus some of a ,finally, finished bus I stripped apart for a repaint from bright yellow years ago, well one of my layouts has a bridge on it!!

IMG_0496

Phil T.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The Lucam looks like a good addition to me Phil - as you say it breaks up the mass of brickwork nicely. 

I like the bus - is that one of the Rio Fiat Omnibuses? The new colour scheme suits it nicely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, NeilHB said:

is that one of the Rio Fiat Omnibuses?

I think it maybe and if you can manage to get one they convert fairly easily into something acceptable.....

72923168_gwromnibus.jpeg.28670f3b40ea32fc993727d4052c53a9.jpeg

Mine partly completed needing some extra work.

What I also like is the ease with which they come apart for working on.

G

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, NeilHB said:

The Lucam looks like a good addition to me Phil - as you say it breaks up the mass of brickwork nicely. 

I like the bus - is that one of the Rio Fiat Omnibuses? The new colour scheme suits it nicely.

Yes it is the Rio model, bright yellow out of the box, with grey wings and green luggage rack. I gave the metal, yellow, body parts a swim in neat Dettol for 24 hours and the factory paint just wrinkled up and washed off. What does show is the difference the underlying paint colour layer makes to the top coat. The Lucam and the top half of the bus are from the same can but the bus is on the blue, the Lucam is on white primer but looks more cream than it does on the bus. As BGman says it strips down really easily, you only have to remove the front axle by easing one end cap and wheel off and then undo 3 screws and it all slides apart. I did have to remove the head of the heat riveted pillars, by touching it lightly with a drill in my fingers, inside the roof to part the roof and the glazing but that meant that I could do away with the plastic frame which obscured the top lights above the windows on re-assembly. I also added some wear strips of micro strip to the area of the luggage rack on the roof, which I am pretty sure it would have had in real life. Then it was little things like touching in the bulb on the horn with matte black and replacing the ladder which I'd managed to lose in the ten years and a house move since I stripped it down. The colours are Ford "Galaxy blue" and Ford "Ivory" from Halfords. Incidentally the blue is a good match for Railmatch S & DJR blue, I know because I cheated and brush painted the luggage rack sides from a jar I had, having for gotten to spray it.

Edited by Phil Traxson
missed a bit out
  • Like 3