TS01 Diesel Shunter kit - Maunsell-inspired 0-4-0

Exciting times - the 3D prints for the Mk2 arrived yesterday, I gave them a quick coat of primer to show up the imperfections. Looking quite good actually, although I won't be doing anything with them this weekend as the flu that's been going round my house has finally caught up with me... But couldn't resist trial fitting the wheels to get a sneak preview of what it'll look like.

post-25124-0-58554700-1518885112_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-47168200-1518885125_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-79291500-1518885136_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Exciting times - the 3D prints for the Mk2 arrived yesterday, I gave them a quick coat of primer to show up the imperfections. Looking quite good actually, although I won't be doing anything with them this weekend as the flu that's been going round my house has finally caught up with me... But couldn't resist trial fitting the wheels to get a sneak preview of what it'll look like.

attachicon.gifP1000038 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifP1000039.JPG

attachicon.gifP1000040.JPG

ohh I like that!!!!

when is it available and what wheels are you using?

ohh I like that!!!!

when is it available and what wheels are you using?

It will be available once I've finished this test model, which depends on how hectic my Uni schedule gets. I will need to make a couple of minor changes to it too, the only one I've noticed so far is that the motor mount dimensions are slightly out - nothing a bit of packing under the motor won't fix for this example, but I'd like it to be right for the final version.

It's on Hornby outside framed class 08 wheels - Romford/Gibson/ScaleLink were a bit expensive for me! Spares no X9373M.

• Like 1

So will it use the standard Hornby coupling rods for the 0-4-0? It's brilliant!

Thanks! Yes, it's standard 0-4-0 coupling rods, I still need to find a way to fix them to the 08 wheels though, I tried printing fixing pins as part of the chassis on a sort of sprue, but I've made them a bit small - will be corrected for the final version but in the meantime, nothing that can't be solved without a little bodging.

Last night was the first chance I had to work on the model. Step 1 was to sand down the body and chassis to get a smooth(ish) finish, concentrating in particular on any curved areas. You can see where the primer has been completely taken off where I've concentrated the effort. I used a Dremel but could equally be done by hand if you're a little more patient than me. Now I've seen the photo, I'll probably do another shot of primer and get the Dremel out for round 2...

post-25124-0-03545300-1519302212_thumb.jpg

I also enlarged the motor hole slightly, this won't need to be done on the final version once the CAD model is corrected.

post-25124-0-24689100-1519302226_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks! Yes, it's standard 0-4-0 coupling rods, I still need to find a way to fix them to the 08 wheels though, I tried printing fixing pins as part of the chassis on a sort of sprue, but I've made them a bit small - will be corrected for the final version but in the meantime, nothing that can't be solved without a little bodging.

Why not use 08 coupling rods and crankpins or 3D print some?

Why not use 08 coupling rods and crankpins or 3D print some?

08 coupling rods would be out of proportion as it would end up being half of an 0-6-0 wheelbase. They're also more expensive, so I don't want to buy a set just to get the crankpins. I think 3D printing the crankpins will work ok, but the coupling rods themselves would be too flimsy at that sort of thickness.

• Like 1

I've just had a look at my spare 08 wheelsets, and they are threaded holes, so don't you just need a normal crankpin and a small washer?

Yes, that would be ideal, but I can't find any really (really) cheap ones. I've just tested a spare set I have for a 4F and they fit so it seems Hornby may use a standard size. I've also just noticed that one of the conrods from the 4F set is only 1.5mm shorter than the 0-4-0 ones, so I think the next version of the model may come with a slightly shorter wheelbase to make use of the nicer rods and crankpins. I might just have dust off my wallet and buy another set for the current one as well at £6.29...

Made a start on the detailing, so far we have coupling hooks, SR pattern buffers (apparently, I'm no expert on these things), and handrail knobs. The engine bay doors are also in the works from plasticard - not having them in the 3D print saves a little bit of the printing cost and makes smoothing down the sides much easier. Next steps are to fit handrails, finish the doors, fit the grille mesh (I should probably order that at some point...), fit the body retaining nuts, then it's ready for primer and paint. I'm not sure yet as to whether I'll finish the body then do the chassis, or mix and match as I feel like it. The chassis is pretty much ready for paint already as there are no separate details to fit.

post-25124-0-15525200-1519680211_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Chassis painted and test fitting parts, pickups fit nicely but I need to work out how much to modify the motor mount for the final version - it may use different gears to this one as they're a bit fiddly to mesh and not the easiest to get hold of. Bonus points if you can spot the part of the chassis I had to repair due to it arriving broken!

post-25124-0-39298600-1520070443_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

To counteract the light weight of the chassis and give the shunter some traction and good electrical contact, the chassis has been designed with a couple of ballast bins at the front and back. These can be filled with lead/scrap or in my case, Liquid Gravity (do this after fitting the pickups, as gluing ballast in place locks the pickup nuts in place!). This makes a surprisingly big difference, and once the heavy flywheel and some extra weight in the body are added, it should be a pretty weighty little beast.

post-25124-0-16233000-1520154974_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

To counteract the light weight of the chassis and give the shunter some traction and good electrical contact, the chassis has been designed with a couple of ballast bins at the front and back. These can be filled with lead/scrap or in my case, Liquid Gravity (do this after fitting the pickups, as gluing ballast in place locks the pickup nuts in place!). This makes a surprisingly big difference, and once the heavy flywheel and some extra weight in the body are added, it should be a pretty weighty little beast.

attachicon.gifP1000050.JPG

Oh dear, I hope that is not PVA glue with the liquid lead, they have been known to react and swell up causing problems.

Oh dear, I hope that is not PVA glue with the liquid lead, they have been known to react and swell up causing problems.

We'll see! I've never had any issues with this combo before, maybe some people just got a bad batch?

The wheels are now fitted to the chassis with the new gear in place. Rather than the traditional assembly from each side, the wheels slot in from the bottom as a complete assembly - this makes them much easier to align properly using a back-to-back gauge as they're very difficult to get parallel otherwise. A dab of superglue on top of the bearings holds them in place and is removable if necessary. The pickups give the wheels a self-centreing effect as well.

post-25124-0-91663000-1520356381_thumb.jpg

Couldn't resist putting the body on too!

post-25124-0-93523900-1520356396_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The wheels are now fitted to the chassis with the new gear in place. Rather than the traditional assembly from each side, the wheels slot in from the bottom as a complete assembly - this makes them much easier to align properly using a back-to-back gauge as they're very difficult to get parallel otherwise. A dab of superglue on top of the bearings holds them in place and is removable if necessary. The pickups give the wheels a self-centreing effect as well.

attachicon.gifP1000051.JPG

Couldn't resist putting the body on too!

attachicon.gifP1000053.JPG

That's looking very good, Tom.

Now, all you need to do is print some 3D umbrellas for the crew, and she's away!! ;)  :jester:

• Like 1

That's looking very good, Tom.

Now, all you need to do is print some 3D umbrellas for the crew, and she's away!! ;)  :jester:

Early steam locos had no cab roof, why not early diesels too?  :sungum:

It's on the way, as soon as I figure out how to bend plasticard to a small radius without it cracking. Probably involving a soldering iron.

• Like 1

You could try using laminated layers of plastic card to achieve the curve. I know a few bus modellers use the technique to build their roofs. Once the layers have bonded, you can fill and file them into the correct profile.

Larger radius bends in plastic sheet can be set using hot water.

I'll have a go at a couple of different roofing methods and see what works - the original plan was to use 0.5mm plasticard so I'll try heat-softening that first.

In the meantime...

post-25124-0-50963500-1520507761_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-53864900-1520507777_thumb.jpg

Lamp irons are staples (probably slightly overscale), engine bay doors are 0.5mm plasticard. Not sure if the air horns are strictly correct for a 1930s loco, but I like the look of them, so they're staying. 

• Like 2