Thin veroboard

dj_crisp

Hi

I use veroboard (from places like maplins) for most of my homemade circuits. The problem I'm finding is that the veroboard is too thick for installing in some of and my projects and I was wondering if there is an alternative or a thin version?

Thanks

Will

Hi

I use veroboard (from places like maplins) for most of my homemade circuits. The problem I'm finding is that the veroboard is too thick for installing in some of and my projects and I was wondering if there is an alternative or a thin version?

Thanks

Will

Thick as in the thickness of the pcb , how would , a reduction of 0.5mm generally affect anything ?

Hi

Thanks

Will

Hi Will,

Verobard is made from a copper-clad paper laminate known as FR2 and I don't think it's commonly available in any other thicknesses. FR4 laminate is a fiberglass laminate that can be quite thin. The generic name for Veroboard is "stripboard". If you search around you might find some sort of thinner prototype board or stripboard made with FR4. You can definitely get thinner FR4 copper laminate, both single and double sided.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for your help. Great info that i didn't know! I'll have a look around.

I'm trying to replace a number of lighting circuits in locos which is often a very tight squeeze as the pcb board being replaced is much thinner

Cheers both

Will

• 2 weeks later...

How thin do you need it to be?

It would be a relatively simple matter to create a stripboard sheet design and get a batch made in FR4 at one of the usual Chinese PCB houses like Elecrow or Itead.

Then you just select the thickness of board when you place the order.

Elecrow, for example, offer boards down to 0.6mm thickness, and you would get 10 off 100x100mm for about a tenner including postage.

How thin do you need it to be?

It would be a relatively simple matter to create a stripboard sheet design and get a batch made in FR4 at one of the usual Chinese PCB houses like Elecrow or Itead.

Then you just select the thickness of board when you place the order.

Elecrow, for example, offer boards down to 0.6mm thickness, and you would get 10 off 100x100mm for about a tenner including postage.

That sounds an interesting idea and as I'm having a go at replacing Hornby Circuits 0.6mm sounds thin enough. I'm check them out and see what they offer

Thanks

Will