Dart Valley Railway.

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

I just learned that Dave Knowling, one of the original drivers on the DVR when it opened had passed away just before Christmas.

http://www.southdevonrailwayassociation.org/News-and-Press-Releases/Dave_Knowling_1939-2017.html

Those of us who had the privilege to have known and worked with Dave will be saddened by the news of the passing of this great character. He was known to a few of us back in the seventies as 'Dinky' Knowling because of his liking of DinkyToys for which l recall that he was ribbed mercilessly!

He taught me how to fire 4555 and I travelled daily to work in Paignton often on the plate for a while when the newly acquired Torbay Steam Railway ran its short lived school service.

It was reported on local radio the he will make his last trip from Buckfastleigh to Riverside today

God bless and goodbye old chap.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

I worked as a volunteer cleaner on the DVR in the early eighties, and was lucky enough to spend time with Dave. He made a huge impression on me, as a steam-mad 15 year old it was like hanging out with a rock star, teacher, raconteur and comedian all rolled into one. His stories about life on the old railway could fill volumes, and his obvious love for and dedication to the preservation of steam were truly inspiring. Not to mention his sense of humour - I will never forget Dave shunting two tank engines into the shed, merrily singing "I'll be your rubber ball baby" in broadest Devonian as he bounced the buffers of one off the other.

Thanks Dave, you were one of a kind. I bet there's a Castle charging up a bank somewhere right now...