Martin Finney 7mm LNER A3

PAD

PS,

The only thing that was getting bent was the running plate edges on the tender. They were only about 0.16mm and with a wide overhang were quite vulnerable. I've doubled the thickness by soldering lengths of brass on the top edge, down each side and across the back.

post-13414-0-29701400-1525553167_thumb.jpg

They are now twice as thick, more robust, but still prototypically thin in appearance.

post-13414-0-69413600-1525553306_thumb.jpg

The running plate edges are just as thin on the loco, but with a much narrower overhang, are less prone to getting bent.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 4

Some further additional detail.

First, the grab rails on the curve of the running plate.

post-13414-0-77514000-1525981504_thumb.jpg

I have scribes a line on top of the boiler to represent the joint in the cladding.

post-13414-0-46708800-1525981542_thumb.jpg

And added the drain pipe to the ejector pipe that ran down the for box side. It should run through a hole in the running plate, but I've not done that as it would make it difficult to remove the boiler and cab. I will solder a short length of rod under the running plate to represent the end of the drain pipe. I've also made and added the lock nut to the ejector pipe union in front of the cab.

post-13414-0-33035100-1525981570_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 4

The ejector drain has been completed by soldering a short length of rod under the running plate.post-13414-0-61023700-1526131821_thumb.jpg

At the front I have made and added the flanges to the steam pipe covers.post-13414-0-51807500-1526131853_thumb.jpg

And the other side. The holes in the cast saddle are for adding rivets on order from prime miniatures. The detachable boiler makes these after thoughts easy to do.post-13414-0-45276700-1526131881_thumb.jpg

Once I've added the rivets to the saddle I think that will be the building complete, and I can move on to the next build.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 4

The ejector drain has been completed by soldering a short length of rod under the running plate.attachicon.gif20180511_203202.jpg

At the front I have made and added the flanges to the steam pipe covers.attachicon.gif20180511_203311.jpg

And the other side. The holes in the cast saddle are for adding rivets on order from prime miniatures. The detachable boiler makes these after thoughts easy to do.attachicon.gif20180511_203418.jpg

Once I've added the rivets to the saddle I think that will be the building complete, and I can move on to the next build.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi

Really great work, very impressive the detail is so good at 0 scale.

Regards

David

Yep.

That's where I got  the  M0.6 hex nuts to detail the slide bars.  A pack of  50 rivets is  less than a fiver so excellent value.  Brilliant service  as well - ordered the  rivets last Thursday - received on Saturday, and  they were just as quick when I ordered the  hex nuts.  Lots of  other good stuff too.

So here are the rivets from Prime Miniatures. Less than 15 quid for 150, so good value compared to other miniature hardware.
post-13414-0-76866000-1526324448_thumb.jpg

Here they are glued in place. I only added the 4 outer ones either side at the back, as they can't be seen and its a shame to waste them.
post-13414-0-33176300-1526324453_thumb.jpg

And after snipping and cleaned up.
post-13414-0-54139200-1526324458_thumb.jpg

Here's a few shots after putting it back together.
post-13414-0-48888500-1526324831_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-91491500-1526324852_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-14811700-1526324858_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-99843400-1526324872_thumb.jpg

I think I've covered everything now on the detailing. Running wise, it goes very well apart from on the curves on my brother's railway, which are far too tight. Hopefully I can get to the Doncaster show and give it a buzz around the test track, although I must put some lead in the boiler to increase the weight.

It's been a really fantastic kit to build and I wish the F7 boys all the best with the sales when they re-introduce it.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PAD
  • Like 7

Another Fantastic build Peter, thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish, It's just tooooo nice to paint it :jester:

Many thanks John.

Unfortunately it soon gets dirty, brass being brass!  I was lucky  to get it on eBay as there were a lot of people watching it.

I trust things  are  still going well for  you  up in Cumbria.  Have you  got  your  Mojo back and  made  a  start on the  DA Stanier 2-6-4? You know  it  makes sense.  :) 

Cheers,

Peter

PS. I ordered another  100 of  the  larger rivets (0.8mm X 5mm) for  stock from Prime Miniatures yesterday.  Received in the  post this  morning - Great Service.

• Like 1

Many thanks John.

Unfortunately it soon gets dirty, brass being brass!  I was lucky  to get it on eBay as there were a lot of people watching it.

I trust things  are  still going well for  you  up in Cumbria.  Have you  got  your  Mojo back and  made  a  start on the  DA Stanier 2-6-4? You know  it  makes sense.  :)

Cheers,

Peter

PS. I ordered another  100 of  the  larger rivets (0.8mm X 5mm) for  stock from Prime Miniatures yesterday.  Received in the  post this  morning - Great Service.

Still looking for employment it's tough though, I will get round to it one day it's calling me :)

ATB

John.

Many thanks.

Thr Scorpio Std 3 tank was on my radar as a possible purchase after the Gladiator Duchess. However, having savoured the delights of the Finney A3, and then sold some models to raise funds for the MoK 4MT tank and Finney 7 A4, the Std 3 will be out of sight for some considerable time.

In fact I can't see me getting one now, but you never know. Good luck with yours.

Cheers,

Peter

Many thanks.

Thr Scorpio Std 3 tank was on my radar as a possible purchase after the Gladiator Duchess. However, having savoured the delights of the Finney A3, and then sold some models to raise funds for the MoK 4MT tank and Finney 7 A4, the Std 3 will be out of sight for some considerable time.

In fact I can't see me getting one now, but you never know. Good luck with yours.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks.

I need it!!

• RMweb Premium

Does anybody do self-contained buffers for these?

Looking excellent as always.

I believe that Alan Gibson do.  I've got some for some Midland Locos from Gibson kits.

PS I've only just found this thread and someone may have answered the question already.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

Another who has just found this thread, having been directed from 'Wright writes'. I've just enjoyed the last 20 minutes watching this stunning locomotive come to life. Thanks for posting with all the detail pics of the stages of the build. Wonderful work.

I must have missed your intended colour scheme and identity for the model. I'm hoping for original LNER livery, although I have a hunch that I might be disappointed! Whatever, I'm sure it will look mighty fine.

Any particular reason for this choice

With the former A4 type non corridor tender there are only 5-6 options for  a loco as running in the  mid 1950s.  Flying Scotsman is one which I didn't want, and  of the  remaining options, Blair Athol was the  name  I liked best and  one you  don't often see.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 2

With the former A4 type non corridor tender there are only 5-6 options for  a loco as running in the  mid 1950s.  Flying Scotsman is one which I didn't want, and  of the  remaining options, Blair Athol was the  name  I liked best and  one you  don't often see.

Cheers,

Peter

Same sort of reasons as my A4 became Wild Swan

• Like 1

I gave the A3 a run around the test track at Doncaster yesterday and all was well. As I mention earlier, I need to add some lead to the boiler and smoke box to increase the weight. In one or two places the wheels span due to the upward force of the bogie pivot spring, but I'm sure that will be cured by increasing the body weight.

I had a nice chat with Richard Lambert on the F7 stand and compared my build to his. We have gone with the same set up for the bogie using the Gladiator side control unit, but at the rear, Richard has replaced the central wire spring on the cartazzi axle, with two operating each side. This reduces the tendency of the inside wheel to lift on curves, which have noticed on mine. I think I will change mine to the same. Here's a link to a video of it running at Doncaster. Apologies for the poor quality.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 6