meanach

• RMweb Gold

i had a visit to the Railway Tuesday took a few photo's which Ian has posted but he took a few videos which I have uploaded to You tube.  Check these out.

https://youtu.be/vqBZ1_YqUC0

https://youtu.be/vHMrxXbaw94

https://youtu.be/FK2iM1P_4tI

https://youtu.be/hrIPCVIeDLk

Edited by Dougjuk
  • Like 5

Those pictures are stunning. Do you have any of the whole layout and a track plan? I for one would love to the see them.

Cheers . Actually I have no track plan. I didn’t even have one when I built it ! Ha ha . I knew what I wanted in my head . At some point I’ll get somebody more computer competent than myself to knock one up! It’s essentially a single track with the island platformed station as a passing loop. The station has a truncated cattle dock , now a Loco spur . I was partly inspired by work for that one! At the side of the station is a 2 siding timber loading area with a longer head shunt which is parallel to the left hand running line . Ian

• Like 1

For those of you wanting better sound from your class 20s , here’s my solution ! Having scratched my head and tried milling chassis etc . I have now settled for the much easier nose end chassis chop!

Zimo speaker mounted in the nose which also allows space for a super cap where the original speaker sat.

After months of them being sat in bits I’m looking forward to the return of Meanachs resident out stationed trip / yard shunter. Being a Derby boy originally , I have many fond memories of riding behind class 20s. Even a single one (227) once, nose end first down the Matlock branch .

BF52E00C-152A-44A5-9CBF-39CCAC92371E.jpeg

Edited by meanach
Missing image
  • Like 2

Great videos. The noise out of that 37!  :clapping: I'm even more impressed that you built the layout without a plan! If you do ever need one I can recommend AnyRail 6. The trial version is free and the only restriction is it limits you to 50 pieces of track, but that's never been a problem for me as one single piece can be stretched as long as you like. It's very easy to use.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers . Actually I have no track plan. I didn’t even have one when I built it ! Ha ha . I knew what I wanted in my head . At some point I’ll get somebody more computer competent than myself to knock one up!

Go round the layout with a camera holding it, (as close as you can to a consistent height), above the middle and take a series of photos, you can then stitch them together in most graphics programmes or even WORD ;) I've done it in WORD by inserting all the pictures and using the Format tab, then Wrap Text to put them In Front of Text. I then click them all and resize them together by dragging in one corner and slide them around the page until they fit together. You can adjust any slightly larger or smaller images at this stage individually ;) Another trick is to put a ruler on the edge in each picture and use that as a known size to resize them all to.

If you want help doing it and you took a couple of overall shots and then a series of overhead ones it should be easy to stitch them together from that if you can't.

Here's one I did of my small layout

post-6968-0-55164300-1516843740.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

Go round the layout with a camera holding it, (as close as you can to a consistent height), above the middle and take a series of photos, you can then stitch them together in most graphics programmes or even WORD ;) I've done it in WORD by inserting all the pictures and using the Format tab, then Wrap Text to put them In Front of Text. I then click them all and resize them together by dragging in one corner and slide them around the page until they fit together. You can adjust any slightly larger or smaller images at this stage individually ;) Another trick is to put a ruler on the edge in each picture and use that as a known size to resize them all to.

If you want help doing it and you took a couple of overall shots and then a series of overhead ones it should be easy to stitch them together from that if you can't.

Here's one I did of my small layout

attachicon.gifTEST SMALLPIX.jpg

Wow! Genius ! I’d never in a million years have thought about doing it that way! I mainly use computers for doing rosters at work or buying train related stuff or vinyl !

37411 slows for the curve down into Meanach . Seen at the distant signal marker board. Working 2Y16 , the afternoon down train to Fortwilliam .

411 has been a troublesome machine . It seems to have a habit of re setting sound chips! It also got accidentally sprayed with a fine coat of rust . I had to re do the weathering . Now it seems to have moments of refusing to start! It was my second ever class 37/4 for haulage and my first in large logo livery in July 88. It features as my profile pic in a shot I took at Ardlui , Sunday 24.7.88.

post-11459-0-03499700-1517243186_thumb.jpeg

post-11459-0-76676200-1517243215_thumb.jpeg

8791FC58-DC0C-4F5A-93C2-291DAD19D98A.jpeg

Edited by meanach
Broken images
  • Like 8

Hi Meanach,

Great to see the layout on this section. I’ve seen it before but find it hard to follow find in all the blogs due to lack of time mainly on my part. It’s a superb layout with great colouring across the whole scene very realistic. I like the curve through the station. Those railings are nice in the bay who makes the posts?

All the best

Mark

Hi Meanach,

Great to see the layout on this section. I’ve seen it before but find it hard to follow find in all the blogs due to lack of time mainly on my part. It’s a superb layout with great colouring across the whole scene very realistic. I like the curve through the station. Those railings are nice in the bay who makes the posts?

All the best

Mark

I think they were etched posts in the bay but they were one of those things I picked up at an exhibition and saved ‘for a rainy day’ ! Possibility they are Langley but I’m afraid I can’t remember for sure! Thanks for the compliments on the layout .

20114 is seen shunting timber from the loading yard at Meanach. One of the few regular West highland RETB equipped bombs of the late 80s. This is fitted with a zimo 644 and digitrains sounds. Zimo speaker and stay alive super cap, which works amazingly well compared to the free effort that comes with the chip. The weathering was done by brush with enamel washes and paint as at the time i didn’t own an air brush. It requires a pass of the air brush with some ‘dirt’ on the bogies to finish it off . This will happen soon as I’m currently weathering some PCA wagons .

post-11459-0-71384700-1517643333_thumb.jpeg

post-11459-0-75402000-1517643348_thumb.jpeg

4A9F61B8-59A4-4408-9F29-C94C4B234CE2.jpeg

Edited by meanach
Broken links
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Off the work bench , my rake of 11 PCA metal air.

These have been on the ‘to do’ list for a couple of years at least. I noticed an alarming price difference between the last 3 I bought and the ones from 3 years ago.

Weathered using enamel washes with weathering powders to create a dried cement effect. ‘Winter streaking grine’ again came in very useful . Once the majority of that was rubbed off, I used almost dried white spirit . Then dry powders with a dab of enamel wash. Transfers are from rail tech . Again , partly done for a forthcoming layout in the distant future, set in 93-94. In the meantime they will have a few run outs on Meanach . I appreciate in 88 they’d have been quite a lot cleaner. The under frames received a light air brush of frame dirt and dirty black.

26035 seen at the helm , just before the foot crossing.

post-11459-0-18320000-1518972675_thumb.jpeg

DCEBE6A6-90BB-4C0F-8CBE-6587AF84E280.jpeg

D1B5B8F8-9A3B-478B-864D-B0B6B034B125.jpeg

70EE0EEA-8976-426F-81BB-A2DD3E0F8AC2.jpeg

Edited by meanach
Missing images
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Lovely layout, just found it. That water effect on the river looks very lifelike. I can almost see the Salmon leap. Superb modelling

Hi there and thanks . Polyfilla base with enamel mixes to give it some sense of depth initially . Then wood land scenics realistic water . Expensive as it took 3 bottles over time !!! But I personally think it looks better and is easier than varnish layers . Just don’t pour it on top of their ‘water effects’ ! I discovered to my horror that it creates a nasty , sealed in pva mess!

• Like 2

37416 crosses the river bridge with the afternoon Inverness - Fortwilliam service . Aerial helicopter view included!

For the briefest of periods at this time of year , the layout gets bathed in warm natural light . I was working on the roof of Meanach’s station and noticed a photo op.

The station building was originally built long before the house was even purchased ! It was my first ever attempt at kit bashing / scratch building . As a result it’s not a perfect rendition by any means . The worst culprit was the roof which I struggled to get the pitch right for. It was also a scale 10 feet too tall . It’s glued well and truly into its location so removing it is not really an option . I decided to work on it in situ and took a scalpel to the balsa wood roof . After surgery I’ve re tiled it and it now has a more realistic height .

3533F01B-1312-47F2-AFD5-F1A162F49106.jpeg

8CE1EAF8-A990-4AC2-B2B2-2A976308759C.jpeg

Edited by meanach
Broken link
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian.

I too am struggling with the shape of the West Highland roof.

The rest of the building looks good especially if it was your first effort. I think the tiles look very effective. Can I ask which ones you used for this roof.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian.

The rest of the building looks good especially if it was your first effort. I think the tiles look very effective. Can I ask which ones you used for this roof.

If either of you are struggling for detail of the chalet style building, you will find plans including the roofs and further detail on the buildings construction available on pages 150 and 151 of March 2004 Railway Modeller. The plans are across the 2 pages and will not scan very well so you really need the original article. If you do not have back copies then I suggest that you have a look on Ebay where there are usually plenty of old RM's to be found.

As I suspect you both know, I took the easy route and sub contracted the building of my station buildings as they are way beyond my level of capability.  

I would have thought these should serve as a good starting point for any roof construction.  

Hi Ian.

Hi . They are Noch 57329 . But buy them direct from Germany or else you'll get totally ripped off for them . £22 a sheet over here and I used 2 1/2! £10 a sheet direct from a German model store . I've washed and dry brushed them. The ridge tiles are from York models.

Spent yesterday afternoon populating 2 bargain second hand finds from model shops, not auction sites! Spent some time painting the interiors and lowering the door drop lights in the mk2 . Always a hand in mouth moment as the glazing seems super brittle .

The front set of tables now sees a gathering of bashers ! I intend to model some ‘flailing’ as this is something I modelled in an old NSE mk2 BFK years ago and it was always amusing! Just need to track some down ! (Somebody suggested some models of the Third Reich were available !!! () : .... anyhow , anybody know where to source some 1:76 scale ‘Head’ bags from ?!

Edited by meanach
  • Like 3