Programming a Chip - But the Loco Moves?

Sir TophamHatt

I have a Gaugemaster Prodidgy Advance - lovely.

I have a bunch of Zimo and Lenz Silver+ v2 chips - lovely.

Programmed the chips on the programming track to have better names - lovely.

Bought a Pannier and DJM Class 58xx - lovely.

Bought some Hattons 8-pin chips - lovely.

Put the pannier on the programming track, and while programming the chip, the train was almost trying to move.  Sort of like it had been given power but someone was holding it.  The wheels turned, maybe only forwards and backwards a few mm but it's the first time I have experienced this when programming.

The pannier runs fine on the track, not so much the 58xx but this could be because of that particular loco.  For reference, the 58xx acted in the same way.

Is this normal?  Not normal?

It seems to be only the Hattons chips that have done this so far.  The Lenz and Zimo all stay dead.

It is normal for locos to jerk a little on programming track.   How much movement depends on the decoder fitted, some move a lot, some a little.  As part of programming, the decoder needs to momentarily divert power via the motor to generate an acknowledgement pulse back to the DCC system. 

There is a big difference in decoder performance between top-end makers such as Zimo, ESU and Lenz, and cheap decoders such as those sold under Hatton's brand.  Whether you notice the difference is very much a personal thing, just as some people don't mind a loco which jumps and jerks a bit when going over turnouts, whereas others will tweak track and wheels to stop it happening, and a few will rebuilt the loco with fully sprung suspension.

When programming under NMRA rules the decoder can send an acknowledgment (ack) as confirmation of programming commands by way of a pulse of power to the motor resulting in a twitch or it may flash the lights if fitted.

Much of this depends upon the controller and/or the decoder in play.

Some controllers limit programming current on a separate programmIng track and some program on the main track (POM) at full track voltage/current.

What you see is not unusual.

Rob

When programming under NMRA rules the decoder can send an acknowledgment (ack) as confirmation of programming commands by way of a pulse of power to the motor resulting in a twitch or it may flash the lights if fitted.

Much of this depends upon the controller and/or the decoder in play.

Some controllers limit programming current on a separate programmIng track and some program on the main track (POM) at full track voltage/current.

What you see is not unusual.

Rob

to be loved by anyone..........

this topic is really interesting as im currently looking at this sort of stuff right now for my diy accessory decoders... ( www.dccinterface.com )

I have to cause a 60mA drain for 6ms to let the controller know the CV write/read has been comfirmed by the decoder....

for ages i wondered why my trains would move when reading and writing cv values, and it was only after reading the spec did i realise the decoder is generating the 60mA drain by moving the motor - very clever!

• RMweb Premium

Locos always move in one direction when being programmed IME so its quite useful when you have hard wired a decoder as you get an early indication of whether you have wired the decoder in reverse and need to tweak CV29 more.

Or just re-wire it the right way around!

Keith

Edited by melmerby