Can't program decoder but works on main track

Trip

I have an odd problem with one loco. When I fit a decoder it appears to be dead on the programming track. But if I move the loco to the main track and use address 3 it moves around fine. Programming it on the main track does not work.

This problem is peculiar to this loco. The same decoder in another loco works fine on the programming track. It's an Electrotren Ave Talgo with a 21 pin socket.

Any ideas?

I can't do a decoder reset because I can't set CVs ;)

I had thought of moving it to another loco and programming it there (which I'm sure would work) and then moving it back but I like to fiddle with momentum settings and speed tables quite a bit, experiment, fiddle more and so on. I have an automated layout where the combination of speed, momentum and timing is important for precise movement. All that would mean pulling the decoder in and out of locos quite a bit. 

So before I do that I thought I'd see if this is a situation those experts here present had come across before and had some suggestions.

It's a Digitrax DCS50 and a Zimo  MX634D decoder. I'm using JMRI to do the programming.

However two other decoders (both Bachmann branded but one was actually ECU and the other was Soundtraxx) in the same loco also failed to read from the programming track but worked perfectly (being both programmed and operated) in other locos. The programming track works with all my other loco/decoder combinations.

So that really points to the loco being the problem. However I'm assuming all that's required for a decoder to be programmed is a connection to right and left tracks via the wheels. The loco is certainly providing that or it wouldn't move.

Odd.

• RMweb Gold

Try putting TWO locos (the troublesome one, and another) both on the programming track at the same time. Program both together with the settings you want for Talgo, then when you've finished programming do a reset on the other loco. I suspect that the Talgo is not drawing sufficient current on its motor for the controller to recognise the acknowledgement pulse and so refusing to program the decoder. Two locos together should increase the current to a recognisable level.

Andi 

• Like 2

Digitrax DCS50 - Are you using "Direct" mode on programming track, or default "paged" ?   Try "Direct".    If that fails, then try Andi's suggestion.  

Digitrax systems do have very low powered programming tracks, and there are frequently locos which won't read on them.  Particularly sound locos. Their read-ability on programming track is also terrible slow.   So, if a regular issue, you'll need a fix.  Frankly the cheapest/quickest if you are already using JMRI is to buy a Sprog for programming purposes. 

- Nigel

Thanks very much Nigel and Andi.

There is good news and there is bad news.

I have been thinking about replacing the DCS50 for a while and looking through the switches for one that disables command station operation while leaving the throttle functionality I came across an option to turn on 'blast mode' programming for decoders that require more power. Thinking of your replies about the lack of power on the programming track being an issue I thought I'd turn that on and try again. It worked. I could read all the CVs in  the problematic loco. 

That's the good news.

When I came to write CVs, every write operation was accompanied by every loco on the layout shunting forwards slightly and the DB210 booster beeping as if it were being turned on and off. (This is with layout power off.) Then, operating a JMRI throttle for the Talgo moved every loco on the layout. Oops. I did a factory reset of the DCS50 and rebooted it and now it won't move anything at all. It still sends loconet messages when I twist the throttle, there's power to the track, but apparently no DCC signals are being sent.

So, something of a pyrrhic victory. I've managed to program my loco but at the cost of my command station and all layout operations.

Well, this is going to make you laugh. (What I lack in knowledgeable contributions to this forum I make up for in comic relief.)

The manual describes 'blast mode' thus: "Allows DCS50 to program decoders that require more power than in service mode." It sounded too good to be true!

Elsewhere on the digitrax web site, tucked away in a knowledgebase article is the following stark, bold, but nevertheless quite well-hidden warning:

Blast Mode Programming will program EVERYTHING sitting on the main line track so, you MUST remove everything from the track that you are not programming

I suppose I should be grateful it hasn't reprogrammed all my turnouts and sig.... er.. back in a minute

Edited by Trip