Reston, Duns & St. Boswells Line

• RMweb Gold

I've been reading my Steam in the Scottish Landscape by Micheal Welch and came across some delightful photos of Duns in the early 60's with 46475 in shot. An ex-Darlington loco if I'm not mistaken. I understand the line was severed by flooding in 1948 and Dun's later lost its passenger service in 1951.

However freight services carried on until 1966.  The yard looks quite busy with a grain warehouse in evidence, coal merchant and agricultural related produce. 

With Hornby announcing a J36 this looks like the makings of a small Borders related railway project. In later years what other motive power would have been seen on the line?

Also does anyone have any track plans of these stations, photos or suggested suitable reading?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Edited by 46444

I've been reading my Steam in the Scottish Landscape by Micheal Welch and came across some delightful photos of Duns in the early 60's with 46475 in shot. An ex-Darlington loco if I'm not mistaken. I understand the line was severed by flooding in 1948 and Dun's later lost its passenger service in 1951.

However freight services carried on until 1966.  The yard looks quite busy with a grain warehouse in evidence, coal merchant and agricultural related produce. 

With Hornby announcing a J37 this looks like the makings of a small Borders related railway project. In later years what other motive power would have been seen on the line?

Also does anyone have any track plans of these stations, photos or suggested suitable reading?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

It's a J36 Hornby have announced - a very different beast from a J37! (2F power class vs 5F and RA 3 vs RA 8.)

However - if you look at the Railscot site - https://www.railscot.co.uk/Berwickshire_Railway/index.php there are photographs taken along the line, but not many during steam days. There are some though, showing J39, B1 and BR Standard class 3 2-6-0 engines. DIesels shown are '350 pilots', plus a 'Peak' off the road at Duns and a BR Sulzer Type 2 on the breakdown train. 

• RMweb Gold

It's a J36 Hornby have announced - a very different beast from a J37! (2F power class vs 5F and RA 3 vs RA 8.)

However - if you look at the Railscot site - https://www.railscot.co.uk/Berwickshire_Railway/index.php there are photographs taken along the line, but not many during steam days. There are some though, showing J39, B1 and BR Standard class 3 2-6-0 engines. DIesels shown are '350 pilots', plus a 'Peak' off the road at Duns and a BR Sulzer Type 2 on the breakdown train. 

Thanks pH.

I've duly corrected my post to read J36...

That's a great site and nice to see the grain warehouse from another angle.  

As for a Peak off the road...Blimey!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

You'll find the track plan of Duns at top of this map .  if you go to the home page of the NLS maps  website, you can get 25"~ 1 mile (and other scale) maps of most of Scotland and England.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

'Branch lines & Byways Southwest Scotland & Border Counties' by r Robotham [OPC2003] has a good 16pp on this line including detailed track plans of all stations, timetables & photos. Worth checking ABE or order from your local library.

Dava

'Branch lines & Byways Southwest Scotland & Border Counties' by r Robotham [OPC2003] has a good 16pp on this line including detailed track plans of all stations, timetables & photos. Worth checking ABE or order from your local library.

Dava

Thats an excellent book for most of the lines across the Border Counties, there's also a Middleton Press book on the line which has plans and some nice shots.

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou for all your replies.

I'm going to source those two books as well.

Interesting comparing the pictures I have to the track plan. The gas works is prominent in the photo and looking at the map it all falls in to place.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Can I mention the Middleton Press book"St Boswell's to Berwick which covers the whole line.It includes track plans for all intermediate stations and sidings.

C J L Romanesque who took a load of photos in the area pre war was a solicitor in Duns and he recorded an N2 and a G5 both of which were regular engines at different times

A further thought is that the west end would have been covered from Hawick sub shed St Boswells which could have had a J36 available but the east end from Reston to Duns was latterly covered by Tweedmouth (a North Eastern shed). so in theory a Q6 could have been used

Cinerails Archive series Number 4 Both from Newcastle shows film from the late 1940s of freights passing Ayton behind Q6s wrongly identified as Q7s.The Ivatt 46475 mentioned earlier was a Tweedmouth engine but on one occasion a class 46 diesel no D181 was sent to Duns on the pick up goods and derailed in Duns goods yard as recorded in the book I mentioned earlier

• RMweb Gold

Can I mention the Middleton Press book"St Boswell's to Berwick which covers the whole line.It includes track plans for all intermediate stations and sidings.

C J L Romanesque who took a load of photos in the area pre war was a solicitor in Duns and he recorded an N2 and a G5 both of which were regular engines at different times

A further thought is that the west end would have been covered from Hawick sub shed St Boswells which could have had a J36 available but the east end from Reston to Duns was latterly covered by Tweedmouth (a North Eastern shed). so in theory a Q6 could have been used

Cinerails Archive series Number 4 Both from Newcastle shows film from the late 1940s of freights passing Ayton behind Q6s wrongly identified as Q7s.The Ivatt 46475 mentioned earlier was a Tweedmouth engine but on one occasion a class 46 diesel no D181 was sent to Duns on the pick up goods and derailed in Duns goods yard as recorded in the book I mentioned earlier

Thankyou Steamysandy.

Some interesting information there. Another book to add to the collection as well.

In pH's earlier post there's some images of D181 off the road in the enclosed link.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

You're welcome.My dad had relatives in Berwickshire and I remember seeing the Duns line which ran close to the road between Duns and Chirnside.A deep cutting at one point was later filled in.I never saw a train on it but I do remember seeing vans in Crumstane siding.

My Aunt later moved to a farm close to Gordon Station on the Green law branch and I can remember seeing a class 08 shunter on the early morning pick up goods there.

Best Wishes

Alex

• RMweb Gold

My 'As New' copy of Branches & Byways.Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties by Robotham arrived today.

A stunning book full of inspiration and charm. Only had a chance to have a quick flick though it but well recommended.  Some nice shots too of Reeston, Duns & St. Boswells.

Cheers,

Mark

My 'As New' copy of Branches & Byways.Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties by Robotham arrived today.

A stunning book full of inspiration and charm. Only had a chance to have a quick flick though it but well recommended.  Some nice shots too of Reeston, Duns & St. Boswells.

Cheers,

Mark

Memories of Lost Border Railways has some excellent information on the Duns line in later years. http://www.cairndhu.net/Memories/Home.html

Colin

To anybody interested in Duns.

Take a trip there and visit the Jim Clark Room.

Nothing to do with the old railway but a fantastic collection of motor racing history.

Bernard[/qu

ote]Further post.A new Jim Clark Museum is in the process of being constructed on behalf of Berwickshire at Duns at present.Im not sure when it's due to open but this year is the fiftieth anniversary of his death.The pupils of his old school (Loretto at Musselburgh) are planning to mark it appropriately

Sandy

Thanks Colin.

Another one to pick up. Looks like a cracking read.

Cheers,

Mark

46444 Hi I should have signalling diagrams for some of these boxes at these sites. Drop me a PE with your email and a list of the ones of interest and I'll see what I can find. Robert

• RMweb Gold

46444 Hi I should have signalling diagrams for some of these boxes at these sites. Drop me a PE with your email and a list of the ones of interest and I'll see what I can find. Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the offer.

I've actually been able to obtain the signalling diagrams from another member.

Thank you for your kind offer however.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

My great uncle used to drive the BR lorry at Duns many moons ago, this is one on my Dad's photos taken on the pick up freight quite late in the day. I'm sure he's got the loco id somewhere but the date is long since forgotten. There are a couple more pictures in an album on his Flickr site, unfortunately none them are particularly sharp.

39591381554_9edaf7def9_b.jpgDuns Freight by Alan Tait, on Flickr

• Like 1