Newton heath closed to steam?

18B

I think it was one of three sheds in the north west that closed on the same day, 1st. July 1968. Patricroft, Newton Heath and one other whose name escapes me.

That left three still open until the final day, Lostock Hall, Carnforth and Rose Grove.

Don’t think it was Buxton Apollo, but it might well have been Bolton, I was also thinking Speke Junction as a possibility?

Edit; the database linked above suggests that it was indeed Bolton.

Edited by Arthur

I went there on the 29th June '68, my notes say everything there was 'dead'! Same date as post# 23 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129814-50-years-since-the-end-of-br-steam/page-1

Speke Junction, along with Edge Hill closed early May, Heaton Mersey, and Edgeley closed early May.

edit, I was gonna say June for the Stockport sheds, ( just goes to show ya cant rely on a 50 year memory) then I checked the dates !!?? :sungum: 

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Premium

I think it was one of three sheds in the north west that closed on the same day, 1st. July 1968. Patricroft, Newton Heath and one other whose name escapes me..

That was the date quoted in the Engine Shed Society Listings.

Thanks, 1st July 1968 tallies with my recollection.

Of course, actual steam operation may have virtually or entirely ceased a day or two before the official last day but my recollection is that Bolton, Newton Heath and Patricroft officially closed together. We lived less than a mile from Patriroft at the time.

As July 1st.1968 was a Monday it is probable that Saturday 29th June was the last day of actual operations, July 1st, being the official closure date.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

Happy days to see steam but sad to see it go.

I (we all) was / were young back then - easily lured to the dark (blue) side !!!!

Brit15

I lost interest in railways at the end of steam, birds ( girls that is !), (motor) bikes and booze( ale) took over.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/sets/72157594243907065/

Nice photos and give a date of 29/6/68 for closure

That explains it then, it was the afternoon of that date that I last went to Newton Heath, the last locos in steam must have left before I got there!! An interesting shed, didn't get chucked out often, plenty to see before the end. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

The slide mount suggests this is Newton Heath towards the end of 1967. 

Can anyone confirm or deny these details, please. I can't see if any of the locos are in steam or not. 

attachicon.gifs45255 42283 48765 newton heath 1967.jpg

Is the centre loco (with oval buffers) a Stanier / Fairburn tank loco ? A rare loco to find in Lancashire at the end of steam. The West Riding sheds had some - they closed to steam around October 1967 - Holbeck, Low Moor, Wakefield, Normanton etc.

It would be nice to see a definitive list of steam all shed closures in the last 2 or 3 years of steam here "up north".

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

Is the centre loco (with oval buffers) a Stanier / Fairburn tank loco ? A rare loco to find in Lancashire at the end of steam. The West Riding sheds had some - they closed to steam around October 1967 - Holbeck, Low Moor, Wakefield, Normanton etc.

It would be nice to see a definitive list of steam all shed closures in the last 2 or 3 years of steam here "up north".

Brit15

Yes, I zoomed in on the not too clear original and read it as 42283 which was a Newton Heath engine until mid-66 and then went to Trafford Park until spring 67; finally ending up with the last four months at Low Moor. 

As I am not too familiar with these steam sheds, I have tried to find photos in order to rule some out. I don't think it is Trafford Park because that had very distinctive shed yard lights. Newton Heath is a better fit with the shed roof, but that would make the given date wrong. Instead of late 1967, it would be late 65 or early 66. 

If memory serves me right ( it often doesn't these days!), Trafford Park ( which no, the pic isn't- j777) was always the best place in Manchester to see 2-6-4T's, but that closed ( I think ! ) in the March of 1968.

Edited by bike2steam

Were TWO new deots buildings built?

only in the 2010 shot there looks to be just one?

its the Palour shed I'm thinking of, is that still standing?

Edited by 18B

The slide mount suggests this is Newton Heath towards the end of 1967. 

Can anyone confirm or deny these details, please. I can't see if any of the locos are in steam or not. 

It is definitely not Trafford Park which I knew fairly well, it is indeed Newton Heath.

I grabbed this partial shot from the link above, you can recognise the tall, rectangular section, brick structure and the roof ridges behind it.

post-6861-0-95557500-1516461255_thumb.jpeg

As for the date, in the absence of a definitive indicator, 1967 seems reasonable

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/sets/72157594243907065/

Nice photos and give a date of 29/6/68 for closure

https://rail-books.co.uk/products/newton-heath-engines-at-work-1948-1968-9780954312831

This book gives a date of 1st July 1968. Perhaps the period 29 June-1 July was a weekend?

Personal observation rules out a date in 1967

Edited by PenrithBeacon

Perhaps the period 29 June-1 July was a weekend?

See post 10 David, it was indeed a weekend, the 1st. being a Monday.

As I commented, 1st. was the official date, the final day of steam operation was probably the 29th, the Sunday generally being a quiet day anyway.