Norfolk swing bridges

russ p

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone got detailed pictures of the swing bridges in Norfolk and Suffolk?

I'm making a model non working due to space.

I want to make either of the type at oulton broad and trowse or a hybrid of the deck of the latter but with the workings of reedham and somerleyton.

These two would be nice to model but there are very complex curves on their decks

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone got detailed pictures of the swing bridges in Norfolk and Suffolk?

I'm making a model non working due to space.

I want to make either of the type at oulton broad and trowse or a hybrid of the deck of the latter but with the workings of reedham and somerleyton.

These two would be nice to model but there are very complex curves on their decks

Hi Russ,

Unfortunately I can only find two photos that I have (there were several more but I can't seem to find them at the moment). They relate to Somerleyton, but only one shows the swing bridge. I was stood in the 'four foot' when I took the external photo (legitimately, I was at work at the time) and I was interested in the gradient approaching the bridge. Apologies for the quality of the photo, it was a few years ago. Whilst the original photos were reasonable, the scanner was a bit basic (by today's standard). The second photo is included purely for interest and is of the operating instructions for opening/closing the bridge. If/when I find the other photos I'll add them to this thread.

post-32776-0-38482300-1516461379_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-40409900-1516461302_thumb.jpg

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If they’re of any use, there are a few of Somerleyton Swing Bridge here;

http://www.russellwykes-photography.com/p1034334510#h8aa30b18

And of Reedham Swing Bridge here;

http://www.russellwykes-photography.com/p1034334510#h8a8a1296

You might need to scroll around the images in that gallery as I was doing ‘A Grand Tour’ of the branches to Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth during the month.

PM me if you’d like copies of any of the images without the watermark.

HTH

Edited by 4630

'One of two similar swing bridges, the other being Somerleyton Swing Bridge (TM476967). They are both constructed from wrought iron, brick, cast steel and timber and replace single track bridges which carried the railway between Norwich and Lowestoft over the Rivers Yare and Waveney.

The bridge rests on two end piers and a central pivot pier made of brick supported by timber piles. This is 27ft 6in in diameter and supports the 10in diameter central pivots when the bridge is fixed for railway traffic.

The three wrought iron girders which bear the live load are 139ft long, and rotate on 16in diameter cast steel wheels. The load of the open bridge is borne by two truss girders.'

Edited by Calimero

• RMweb Gold

Trying to work out how the motor pulls the bridge open with the cable as I'll need to model this

Bought a wooden signalbox to modify as a one of the boxes only when I looked at the pictures did I realise they are both brick, must observe things better.

I spent 14 mth passing both of them on an almost daily basis when driving the 68s over there!

• RMweb Premium

Trying to work out how the motor pulls the bridge open with the cable as I'll need to model this

Bought a wooden signalbox to modify as a one of the boxes only when I looked at the pictures did I realise they are both brick, must observe things better.

I spent 14 mth passing both of them on an almost daily basis when driving the 68s over there!

The day I took the photos in #4 above, I had a look at all the wheels/pulleys/cable etc. (purely out of interest) and noticed that the cable had slipped of a large horizontally mounted wheel, I shouted up to the signaller who came down and I helped him put the cable back on the wheel. But for the life of me, although I can remember some of the arrangement, I can't remember how it all worked.

Regards, Ian.

Off Signalbox.org

'The following is a brief description of the swingbridge equipment:

The swing bridges at Somerleyton and Reedham are of the same design. The pivot point of the bridge is adjacent to the main river channel and the bridge is swung open, parallel to this side of the main channel to enable boat traffic to pass.

The movable section of the bridge consists of a solid elongated ‘A’ frame with a central portal and main cross girder at ¼ and ¾ points of the bridge. Two ‘tray sections’ are mounted inside the ‘A’ frame balanced on each of the main cross girders, such that at the centre portal the ‘trays’ drop and at the ends of the bridge the ‘trays’ rise. The bridge can be moved when the ‘tray sections’ are balanced with the ends of the bridge raised.

The bridge is moved by means of a wire ropes attached to the underside of the bridge-end adjacent to the signal box. The wire ropes are attached to a motorized winch mechanism located below the signal box which pulls the bridge open and closed.

On closing the bridge, ‘latches’ operate to catch and hold the bridge closed. When opening the bridge these ‘latches’ are released.

Hydraulic jacks are provided in the central pivot point chamber below the bridge. These are used to raise the ‘tray sections’ so that the six ‘wedges’ can be placed under the ‘tray sections’ to enable traffic to be run over the bridge.

Circuit closers are provided to ensure and that the centre sections of the ‘tray sections’ are raised and that the wedges are in position. The bridge position and ‘tray section’ alignment is also detected at the ends of the bridge.

‘Engagers’ are fixed on the landward ends of the bridge, with the bridge in position these allow the mechanical movement of the roding over the bridge to the far side operating the far ‘bridge bolt’ and mechanical signal protecting the bridge. Similar engagers are also used for the operating the ‘wedges’.

Two ‘bridge bolts’ are provided on the land at each end of the bridge; these are used to lock the bridge in position preventing lateral movement. A circuit closer is used to detect the locked position of the ‘bridge bolt’.'

Top tip if researching using work computers, don't click on a link that is titled Gorleston Swingers!

Whilst in Google search it mentions Reedham Swing Bridge the website has no information of any use to those wanting to construct a 4mm version!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Russ,

Further to my previous response with regards to Somerleyton swing bridge, apologies for the long delay, but I've now managed to find the missing photos I had. Here they are, including the two I posted previously (slightly better scans this time).

Usually, the skipper of a boat (or yacht) sounds a blast on a horn (or whistle) to "request" the bridge to be opened. The signaller acknowledges this by displaying a board "Bridge Will Open".

post-32776-0-95484800-1523198309_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-40758600-1523198306_thumb.jpg

When he can, the signaller follows the bridge opening instructions.

post-32776-0-04219800-1523198308_thumb.jpg

The bridge in its closed state.

post-32776-0-98619300-1523198306_thumb.jpg

And a close up at track level.

post-32776-0-09421600-1523198305_thumb.jpg

The jacks are raised, lifting the bridge.

post-32776-0-56933300-1523198307_thumb.jpg

And with the wedges out, allowing the bridge to be opened.

post-32776-0-73449800-1523198308_thumb.jpg

The boat (or yacht in this case) proceeds through the open bridge.

post-32776-0-31368100-1523198304_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-20024900-1523198309_thumb.jpg

The final photo is an instruction to staff visiting the bridge.

post-32776-0-81822500-1523198305_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the wait, but I hope they are of interest.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a long while I think I've found someone to do laser cut sides for a reedham style bridge.  

The fully system is on one side of the bridge but on the other there are what I can only describe as guides in the water, have these always been there as cant find any old pictures of reedham or somerleyton bridges