The Railways of Portland Dorset

Though my modelling interests are centred on East Anglia and London, probably because I lived the first forty years of my life in Essex I have been fortunate to live and work in deepest Dorset for the last fourteen years on Portland, famous for the stone used to build such iconic places as St Paul's and the Cenotaph in London. I'm a musician and music teacher by trade and am director of the Portland Rocks CIC, a community arts company. We have recently secured funding from Heritage Lottery allowing me to link my work to a life long interest in railways and Andy York has allowed me to start thread on RM Web about the project. Our press release reads as follows:

"Portland Rocks, previously known for its music and art workshops, has secured funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund for an exciting project collecting the memories of those who knew and used the railway line from Weymouth to Easton, Portland; a social rather than technical history of the line.

Having lived on Portland in Dorset for the last thirteen years, Director Martyn Mullender said:” I have become increasingly fascinated by the railway that ran from Weymouth along Chesil Beach and then climbed from sea level to around 285 feet above. It then followed a circuitous route around the cliffs to arrive at Easton.”

As many will know, the railway to Easton closed to passengers in 1952 and finally to all traffic in 1965, over 50 years ago.

Martyn remarked: “The line was unique in many ways: the traffic it was built for, the manner of its working, the challenges of getting the line built and the protracted amount of time this took. There will still be some residents and former residents with memories of the line that form a vital link to its history, which have not been recorded. Using audio visuals and the Internet, we plan to record as many memories as possible, making them available to the public for research or even genealogical purposes. “

An online archive will be created, including photos and transcribed recordings, which will be placed with the Dorset History Centre and freely available online. The project has received letters of support from the Portland Museum, National Railway Museum, the Professor of Railway Studies at the University of York and local historian Stuart Morris among others.

In order to develop the project, Portland Rocks will be recruiting a small group of volunteers, for which a letter of application is available at www.portlandrocks.co.uk or can be collected from and returned to the Island Community Action office in Easton, Portland, if people would like to register their interest in supporting the project.

The project will run until November 2018 and Portland Rocks also hopes to run an arts project linked to the research, involving visual and sound art in September 2018, if they can secure further funding.

The proposal includes taking display boards of information currently available to local events and gathering evidence from people who come along to talk about their memories of the railway."

I would love to hear from any RM Webbers with any memories of the line so they can be collected and preserved.  If you live within reasonable driving distance of Dorset it could be that we could meet to audio record your memories, please pm me via RM Web. If you live further away I'm sure we can come to an arrangement to record your important memories of a unique line.

Martyn

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd suggest trying to get in touch with Brian Jackson who has authored the books on the Railways of Portland, he's a mine of info and stories.

Third book down here is his first volume. http://www.oakwoodpress.co.uk/books/books_i.htm

Oakwood Press might still have his details although they recently changed ownership, http://www.oakwoodpress.co.uk/contactoakwood.htm

Edited by PaulRhB

Though my modelling interests are centred on East Anglia and London, probably because I lived the first forty years of my life in Essex I have been fortunate to live and work in deepest Dorset for the last fourteen years on Portland, 

Ah, another Essex 'boy' ? I moved here 32 years ago when I was 35 years old. I'd say the same as Paul (post#2), Brian is a jovial character, but must admit I've not seen him for the best part of a year, about the same time as we lost one of his mates, the late Colin Caddy, but he's very helpful. :sungum: 

Ah, another Essex 'boy' ? I moved here 32 years ago when I was 35 years old. I'd say the same as Paul (post#2), Brian is a jovial character, but must admit I've not seen him for the best part of a year, about the same time as we lost one of his mates, the late Colin Caddy, but he's very helpful. :sungum:

I go to Blandford School fairly regularly on Sundays as our daughter has county music group rehearsals there, I sit in the park and read my paper, have coffee and cake in the bakers in the high street, walk round the park and have a look at the remains of the railway viaduct. I've also been to Shillingstone a few times.

I did try and contact Brian via a local contact who knows him well and I'm sure I've contacted his publisher, I have loads of there books including the Portland ones though mainly East Anglian branches. I hear Brian has not been very well and have so far not managed to make contact. I will try again.

Martyn

• RMweb Gold

Who's your contact? Colin Stone knows Brian well and I could probably get a message to him via my Father. Another one would be my retired colleague, ex Signalman, Fred Worth as he's done a few walks around Portland to show people the quarries etc. Again I don't have his details but I do bump into him fairly regularly at shows and Colin would have his contact details too. If you aren't in touch with Colin pm me and I'll try to get in touch with him for details.

Martyn, as you know and others on here also, I have fond memories of the Portland Branch and wish you and your volunteers every success with this project. Very worthwhile.

You also will be interested to know, as might others, that Michael Blakemore the editor and publisher of Back Track has accepted an illustrated article of mine on the subject of:

"Portland, Dorset, its stone and Five Railways-the Portland 1825, the Breakwater & Admiralty 1847, the Weymouth & Portland 1862, and Easton and Church Hope 1867."

The last I heard was publication is scheduled for the forthcoming March 2018 issue.

This may provide some useful background information for you.

My regards,

• Like 3

Who's your contact? Colin Stone knows Brian well and I could probably get a message to him via my Father. Another one would be my retired colleague, ex Signalman, Fred Worth as he's done a few walks around Portland to show people the quarries etc. Again I don't have his details but I do bump into him fairly regularly at shows and Colin would have his contact details too. If you aren't in touch with Colin pm me and I'll try to get in touch with him for details.

As Fred is a member of Blandford Club, I have contact details.

Thanks for bringing my attention to this thread!

I have had this idea for years now. Ever since I met with a few well known characters of Weymouth, I have wanted to do a small series of recordings to squeeze as much information out of them that has never come to light. This isn't only great for railway fans but for the community as the railway really helped with Stone production. I've never had the resources to produce this though.

I have various contacts, Brian Jackson is a very nice man I first knew through his books, he presented a talk about the tramway in Dorchester and sometimes see him trainspotting in the summer months! I also have contact with Michael Pitman, the last station master of Portland station during the 'goods only period'.

Brian was absent for about a year as he had some health problems almost immediately after the tramway talk mentioned above, and know about Colin Caddy's passing but a shame that I never got to meet him as he was always at the model exhibition selling postcards, never had a clue! 

Looking into the pages on Portland Rocks towards this project has left me a little off being a big volunteer, it seems much more of a job application than a community project. not sure if this is the Heritage Lottery's side of rules but it does make me feel a bit weary of being heavily involved in this. I volunteer at a Heritage railway and there arn't deadlines or criminal background searches, so this is all new and a bit alien to me with the rules and 'legal' requirements if that's really the right word to use. Non the less I would love to offer all my books to use for reference, my pictures and collection of old artifacts, including tickets and advertisements of the old line.

I'm surprised Martyn hasn't notified me of this as he used to be my music teacher!

Keep me updated ;)

Edited by Jwnewall

The HLF criteria to successfully apply for funding are tight and what you have read is a job description for a volunteer. The DBS checks are because a volunteer could be asked to work with children or vulnerable adults in certain circumstances, all projects such as this have deadlines that have to be met, the times we live in I'm afraid. Training will be provided as recording oral history so it can be used by the organisations who have expressed support for this project has to be done in a very particular way. Training has a cost implication so people have to be sure what they are entering into.

It's also important to remember that this is a social history project first, the technical side of the railway is already more than adequately covered by books such as those by Brian Jackson, this project is mainly concerned with how the public used and interacted with the railway. In the past 24 hours I've learnt quite a lot about Weymouth in wartime, absolutely fascinating stuff but if this was purely railway focussed some of it wouldn't be relevant. The memories people have are priceless and they remember things technical books won't record, we need to record such things before they are lost. The best thing about this type of work is you simply don't know where it will take you and already there have been surprises.

There are also plans for a sound and visual art project around this work linked to the B Side Festival on Portland though that is subject to securing separate funding.

I did teach you music though it is probably five years since you were in a music lesson with me and as you know I no longer work at the school, nor do I do the same job hence I am able to undertake work such as this. Good luck with your exams, I know it is hard work but it will be worth it. I will be in touch to see what items of interest you have.

• Like 1

The best bet for getting a more 'I remember' side of history is, and no matter what people think it is very helpful, Facebook. There are certain groups called 'Isle of Portland Past and Present' and 'Over 30 and From Weymouth' which will get the most result. If you wouldn't mind I could carry a bit of this project over to the website, and collect up the info for you? I have been quite prominent in sharing Weymouth & Portland railway history and always get the 'I remember comments'.

In Brian Jackson's talk he would often sideline the history and detail little scenarios that occurred and people from the audience who knew Brian would always mention something more social than technical.

Thanks for the info on the volunteer stuff, I don't think its the best thing for me however I will give the little info and contacts wherever needed. You did mention its the stuff not found in books however having a lot of books about the railway, they do include certain names and small scenarios that arn't just 'This was built in year X'.

I will still send scans of items such as tickets just incase however, or since your down the road interacting in person may be a lot easier and better.

Thankfully my exams are over, its college work which fills up most of my time! :P

Recorded an interview with Wessex FM that was broadcast as part of their news coverage so progress has been made this week. Jwnewall who posted above has offered to introduce me to the wonders of Facebook groups so that should be interesting.

I hopefully have some time coming up soon that I can do some more research in the History Centre and if some volunteers come forward we can all receive some training in recording oral history so it can be used effectively by interested parties. I already have the recording equipment, a type I've been using for years.

Must be able to get a model railway angle in somewhere but my current plans centre on a London based layout!

Martyn

• Like 1

Wessex FM were very helpful when the Weymouth Tramway stuff was happening in 2015.

I have always had the idea of modelling Easton station as its on a smooth curve. As an extension either the sidings beyond the railway bridge up to the stone quarry or down the line where the railway declines and turns 180, but that would be best as an exhibition layout! I can offer a lot of info for that project if you don't have the right books. But for the moment I decided with the Weymouth Tramway with the thread on this forum too.

I was thinking earlier and might be good to note that Brian Jackson isn't just a writer on the history of railways and buses but he worked in Portland Port as a lorry driver (may be wrong about that) but will be great to get the social view from someone who worked in the environment where the railway was heavily utilized. 

A person worth finding out if they are still living today woudl be Dennis Turner, driver on the line for some of the last railtours on the line.

• Like 1

Report on the Dorset Echo:

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/15901540.When_the_Railway_ran_to_Portland__what_do_you_remember_/?ref=mr&lp=4

Also, Dennis Tuner is still with us! He was the guy who drove the last Portland railway service, and gre up in the area when the tramway was in operation, and when he was a cleaner in Weymouth. Having him would be great from a workers point of view.

Michael Pitman is still with us but I haven't heard back from the person I contact him though, his grandson. Will try to catch up and get Pitman to share some memories as he was the last station master of Portland Station in the goods only era!

Edited by Jwnewall
  • Like 1

Report on the Dorset Echo:

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/15901540.When_the_Railway_ran_to_Portland__what_do_you_remember_/?ref=mr&lp=4

Also, Dennis Tuner is still with us! He was the guy who drove the last Portland railway service, and gre up in the area when the tramway was in operation, and when he was a cleaner in Weymouth. Having him would be great from a workers point of view.

Michael Pitman is still with us but I haven't heard back from the person I contact him though, his grandson. Will try to catch up and get Pitman to share some memories as he was the last station master of Portland Station in the goods only era!

The article in the Dorset Echo has already generated some responses which is great.

• 4 weeks later...

Reported in the Echo today, someone who got in touch with this project talks about when trains got held up near the prison, I never knew about this so makes me even more happy that Martyn is doing this! 

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/features/lookingback/16034285.why-trains-passing-by-portlands-prison-were-often-held-up/?ref=mr&lp=14

I will be contacting the Echo to try and get in touch with Don as his memories will definitely be worth recording.

I'm in touch with Dennis Turner via email who drove the final passenger special up to Portland in 1965, I hope to meet up with him in May as he currently lives abroad. Thanks to Jwnewall for the contact.

I've also spoken to Fred Worth who was a signalman in Weymouth who rode on the last train, will also be meeting up with him.

I haven't seen Backtrack yet but will definitely get a copy especially as it features an article written by a certain John Flann. John, you had told me you had written it, glad it is now published. It also looks like it has an article on Liverpool Street, how many hundreds of times did I pass through that station at all times of day and night. Ex Great Eastern lines, another interest of mine since I did my O level project on the Great Eastern Railway. Apart from a small gap I have been a member of the GE Society since I was 16.

I will be doing my social history training just after Easter so all work is recorded in the correct manner for submission to historical archives then I can get cracking with the recordings. If the project is to be a success it is vital the work is carried out correctly.

I'm also in the early stages of developing an arts project connected with the social history work possibly involving visual and sound art. Not relevant here but still making for a very interesting piece of work which is what it is for me. Combining hobby with work, always good.

If this project works out, who knows I could bid for funding to cover other lines, the Bridport branch, but then again have the memories of the remaining quarry men on Portland been recorded?

Edited by mullie
  • Like 3

Martyn, all very positive there and looking promising.

I think some quarryman lore has been recorded, and I can help with those of my grandfather John, when he retired in 1927 after 55 years in the quarries.

Meantime the attached is of him, booking stone.

post-3088-0-59012500-1519244593_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Martyn, all very positive there and looking promising.

I think some quarryman lore has been recorded, and I can help with those of my grandfather John, when he retired in 1927 after 55 years in the quarries.

Meantime the attached is of him, booking stone.

attachicon.gifIMG_20171015_0001.jpg

What a superb photo

The stone industry is a whole project in itself and it has changed so much, now largely mined including just over the road from where I live.

I have worked on arts project using Portland Stone as a musical instrument as it has pitch depending on size and density though unfortunately I missed the great Evelyn Glennie playing a Portland stone Lithophone

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to pickup a copy of this in Southampton today complete with a very interesting article by John Flann on the railways of Portland. Still available as both a hard copy and digital download, lots of other good stuff as well.

post-12773-0-10594900-1520712698_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I want to build up some artefacts that can be shown to people to stimulate memories. This was donated to the project, representative of the type of loco working on the line in the 50s. As it may be handed round and shown to people I'm not sure if I will do anything to it, the fact that it has the wrong logo and number for the line could be just the thing to start people off reminiscing!

post-12773-0-09216500-1521230669_thumb.jpg

If it survives the project, perhaps I'll get it working, it just needs a motor but then as I now model in EM a new chassis will probably be best but that means I will have to build a model of Easton station. I've worked out that I think I can fit it into 6X2 feet plus fiddle yard. I am tempted I must admit.

• Like 2

Martyn, yes, wrong loco but you wouldn't be wrong with Easton in 6'0 x 2'0 for it's handy size.

In the last years Panniers did get to Easton with goods trains and after the passenger service was withdrawn.

The loco at least is another step forward with the project.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I want to build up some artefacts that can be shown to people to stimulate memories. This was donated to the project, representative of the type of loco working on the line in the 50s. As it may be handed round and shown to people I'm not sure if I will do anything to it, the fact that it has the wrong logo and number for the line could be just the thing to start people off reminiscing!

attachicon.gifDSC_0002.JPG

If it survives the project, perhaps I'll get it working, it just needs a motor but then as I now model in EM a new chassis will probably be best but that means I will have to build a model of Easton station. I've worked out that I think I can fit it into 6X2 feet plus fiddle yard. I am tempted I must admit.

Having just read through this thread can I wish you every success with the project. The idea of the loco to stimulate memories is a good one. I have done a lot of research for my two layouts and found that a physical object along with photos can really get people talking. I exhibited my current layout in it's home town to gather information. I spent a lot of time at the front of the layout talking to punters. Most of the time the initial response was that they couldn't remember anything but then they would volunteer a piece of info such as "I used to go down to the coal merchants for my man to pay the bill". That would lead to the cardboard mock ups of the said offices and then an aerial photo. I eventually got most of the info that I need to model the various offices in the correct materials, eg stone. timber or tar paper. However without the memory prompts of the part built models I doubt whether the info would have been harvested.

I wish you luck with the project and may well visit the area in June.

Jamie

• Like 1