Blog- drew13's Blog - Hornby Pendolino Problems

RSS Fetcher

ok so im new to the hobby and i like to get my hands dirty. i recently bought the RTR Hornby Virgin alstrom Pendolino set. i was really impressed with the set when i opened it and couldnt wait to use it. but i soon noticed that the drive loco would derail alot. i got frustrated and put it away. but i had a thought, why not work out the problem and fix it myself. so i began to try and work out what was going on. i tried different directions and speeds and still it happened. in the end i decided to buy a back to back gauge from DCC concepts. great little bit of kit for less than £10. i began to check every axle on both of the carriages i got in the box and the extra one i purchased, plus the dummy and drive car. and i soon found out that not a single axle was the right width apart. so an hour of pain staking adjusting which left my fingers really sore and i got all the axles to the right setup. i then installed dcc decoders in the drive and dummy car and tested the 5 car rake, still getting the same derailment. it gets to about 80% speed and throws itself off the track at the start of a corner. this is wether the drive car is alone on track or with the rake attached. i went out and replaced the 3rd radius curves that came in the set with 4th to make it easier, but still the same thing. the only thing i have left to do is tack the track to my 8'x4' plywood board and see of that makes a difference. ive considered slightly banking the corners inward like in prototype to see if that helps. ive seen this is a common problem, ive check couplings and they seem fine. im really not sure what to try next but i hope to keep you posted and make this diary of my mission.

View the full article