KUA Wagon Markings

Ian_B

I'm just building and finishing a KUA wagon and have run into an issue with the decals. Simply - no-one seems to have a ready to apply set. This leaves me with trying to make up an appropriate set of markings from different sets. Problem - I have images of the wagon, but am ignorant of the meaning of the few markings it carries and thus where I might find the markings in other decal sets

One of the markings is the TOPS panel, but what are the rest?

Ian_B

post-10551-0-12775900-1516579102_thumb.jpg

Amongst the usual instructions about 'Hood must be closed before vehicle is moved' or similar and 'Not to be Loose-Shunted' , there would be one saying 'Gare d'attache- Sellafield'.

These wagons were built to bring spent fuel from nuclear power plants in France and Germany to the Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant at Sellafield; a small fleet (about a dozen vehicles) were built for the traffic. Each country's design was different; the UK ones were as the model, the German ones had plate-framed bogies, whilst the French ones had antiquated-looking diamond-framed bogies, albeit with roller-bearings. With the demise of the Train Ferry in 1995, transport has been by sea to Barrow, the French and German wagons  remaining on the mainland, whilst the British ones work between Barrow and Sellafield. There are some photos in the David Ratcliffe book on Ferry Wagons.