Industrial 0-6-0ST identity sought

Andy Y

From http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129795-help/&do=findComment&comment=3011986

20249936.jpg

Greetings!

I do not know how to put my question in the right place!
I'll come here!
Need help identifying the locomotive for the sidewalk. This locomotive existed in Russia at the beginning of the twentieth century at a metallurgical plant in Nizhny Tagil. The photo is dated 1902 year.
For many reasons, this locomotive is similar to some examples of industrial locomotives in the UK, Ireland.
In our country besides this photo there is no more information in history ...
I really hope that your community will help me.
Sincerely, Andrei R. 

Yeah; I know it's Russian and this is the UK prototype area! ;)

• RMweb Gold

Yeah; I know it's Russian and this is the UK prototype area! ;)

oh I dunno, looking at some of the attire and beards in the picture it could well be modern day camden or shoreditch with all its hipsters

Edited by big jim

It could very easily be an export from one of the usual suspects as a Russian built engine would have more bits hung on the exterior. For some reason Hudswell Clarke comes to mind but I’m sure someone will correct me.

Cheers,

David

As a matter of interest, is it certain it is an 0-6-0? No wheels visible behind all those people and the front overhang looks quite long.

Also, is it certain it is 5ft gauge? Looks like mixed gauge track in the foreground, so could be c 3ft.

As a matter of interest, is it certain it is an 0-6-0? No wheels visible behind all those people and the front overhang looks quite long.

Also, is it certain it is 5ft gauge? Looks like mixed gauge track in the foreground, so could be c 3ft.

There were some very large 3’ Gauge locos in the USA and Peckett built some big 0-6-0ST for the Northants ironstone lines, but 3’ Gauge wasn’t really a Russian thing. I’d say those dual gauge lines in the foreground were/are lightweight depot tramway lines, judging by the lack of chairs and the lateral tie-bolts.

The front overhang is determined by the outside cylinders, which are just visible. I’d agree, it is the right sort of size for a SG or 5’ Gauge 0-6-0

its too big to be 3ft and looks like standard but russia used 5ft gauge instead

Could you provide a reference for that statement about it being to big to be 3ft gauge, please?

It looks smaller than some of the 3ft gauge locomotives supplied to the West Clare or Londonderry and Lough Swilly, for example.

It appears to be of similar size to some of the 3ft 3in gauge locomotives on the Finedon Ironstone lines (although these are much squatter due to restricted height loading gauge).

Whilst the Russian standard gauge was 5ft, they also used narrower gauges, 3ft 6in and 2ft 5.5in being quoted as common.

They also had at least one industrial railway of 3ft gauge, as Hunslet supplied 9 locomotives of that gauge in 1910-16 to the Kyshtim Karabash Copper Railway in the Urals.

The front end looks almost like a prequel to the Kerr Stuart Victory class - though the Victory class had side tanks.

On the other hand, the Belgians built a number of locos that looked almost 'British', but not quite 100%. The photo suggests a lack of aesthetic care that might just make it of foreign origin - like the awkward position of the cylinders and the strange overlap of the side sheets at the front edge of the cab.

Googling the place name, it's a very heavily industrialised area of Russia. They seem to have a few locomotives there including something that looks like a copy of a USA Tank.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/steam-locomotive-car-exhibition-mining-equipment-765316984

And a steelworks museum that looks similar to the place where the above photograph was took. Look at the large arched windows.

http://russiatrek.org/blog/technology/steel-works-museum-in-nizhny-tagil/

Jason

I'm coming at this thread late, having just seen the responses posted on the IRS group.  The conclusion reached there is that the locomotive is most likely Hudswell Clarke 592 of 1901.  What I can add is that, as such, it was the last of seven similar locomotives built from 1894 onwards and supplied via the contractors (SG Martin and T Medhurst). All were to five feet Russian gauge.  In at least five instances the final customer was "the heirs of Paul Demidoff, [first] prince of San Donato", Demidoff having considerable mining interests across the territory of Tsarist Russia and would be most likely to have operated at the location given.

Here is the full list

HC 421/1894 (poosibly named "ATRAINT") to St Petersburg via SG Martin

HC 450/1896 (named "SAN DONATO"), 468/1896. 469/1896, 497/1898 to Reval (now Tallinn, Estonia), via T Medhurst for Demidoff

HC 488/1898 to Novorossisk (Black Sea port) via SG Martin

HC 592/1901 to Reval via SG Martin for Demidoff

Although other British builders also supplied 0-6-0STs to Russia (Manning Wardle, EB Wilson) they are quite different in appearance, location and date.

Edit: Just to add that an article "Demidov, Nizhe Tagil and the British Connection" in "The Narrow Gauge" issue 170 includes an official works photo of the "class leader" "SAN DONATO".  The locomotive pictured in this thread is obviously from the same stable (albeit with some minor detail differences.  (What a group of broad gauge locomotives are doing in a narrow gauge magazine is a bit like a Russian locomotive being discussed under UK Prototype!)

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 1

Looks like a Kitson to me.

Kitson's definitely built locomotives for Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitson_and_Company

Jason

now that you mention it, the dome does look like a kitson

a batch of 6 for the Yaroslav-Vologda Rly in 1872 No's 1857 to 1862

None of the 94 locomotives (and two railcars) supplied by Kitsons to Russian/Ukrainian customers were 0-6-0STs.  The 1872 batch were 0-6-0 tender engines (their tenders being given separate works' numbers following on sequentially, i.e. 1863-1868).  In fact the only tank locomotives in this category were two side tanks in 1873 and ten saddle tanks in 1881, all four coupled.