sem34090

My first thought was...how bizarre! They claimed that their thinking was 'joined up' so I would have expected something like:

A. Class 86 (for Mk3s)

B. An LMS tank

C. A Scottish pre-group to run with those 4 planks

I agree. Perhaps they are holding off on some announcements until ModelRail Scotland, the largest show in the country. It is located walking distance from the transport museum, housing several historical Scottish locos. Glasgow, famous for building railway locomotives, is also the terminus of the WCML so perhaps an 86 could be announced then. Edited by scottrains29
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bosh Buster was a Howitzer, it never fired a round in anger, even at the height of the invasion threat its battle worthiness was questioned. 

The very similar looking 13.5 inch guns were potentially worth feeding the crews with rations.

Did the Dean Goods have ROD numbers in WW2 all the photos I can find of locomotives in WW2 carried WD with the arrow in between?

Locomotives used for laying the rail guns and Bosh Buster were usually LMS Armstrong-Whitworth 0-6-0 or SR 350hp 0-6-0 shunters. Are they going to do the ammunition wagons? I will not ask about the crew, the command post etc which the gun needed.

Bosh Buster was a Howitzer, it never fired a round in anger, even at the height of the invasion threat its battle worthiness was questioned. 

The very similar looking 13.5 inch guns were potentially worth feeding the crews with rations.

Did the Dean Goods have ROD numbers in WW2 all the photos I can find of locomotives in WW2 carried WD with the arrow in between?

Locomotives used for laying the rail guns and Bosh Buster were usually LMS Armstrong-Whitworth 0-6-0 or SR 350hp 0-6-0 shunters. Are they going to do the ammunition wagons? I will not ask about the crew, the command post etc which the gun needed.

The howitzers were intended to shell the beaches if an invasion occured, weren't they?  Weren't the ammunition vehicles ferry wagons that had got left behind after the fall of France?

It would depend on the rate of fire. I don't know what the weight of the shell was that was used for 18in, but if it was the same as the naval gun then about 3200lb (from memory). It would have been slow and ponderous, not great against advancing troops and probably ineffective.

The 13.5 in were less than half the weight, in RN service, fires once every 30 seconds per gun was a norm, but on a railway, this will slow down. Again not useful as an invasion counter.

These weapons are best used in attack against a static target. OK in WWI but pointless in WWII once aircraft could could carry far greater weights over greater distances in an accurate manor.

Against moving troops, a barrage of 6 inch weapons (which can be vehicle towed), all timed to land on the advance at the same time, was extremely effective at breaking up an attack. In Korea, HMS Belfast with her 12 6in guns firing every 10 seconds blunted North Korea attacks near the cost line.

The 9.2 inch could be co-ordinated to deliver better fire IMHO.

The Middleton Press "Faversham to Dover" book has a double page spread at plate 70 showing the WW2 depot at the former Stonehall Colliery which was used in association with these guns. The lifting gantry for the 13.5inch gun barrels , about a dozen and more wagons and depot paraphernalia are visible. The photo is credited to "Royal Marines" and appears to have been taken during an official visit. The depot is about a mile on the London side of Kearsney Station.

Edited by mikeharvey22

I can only assume Oxford are wanting to catch up on deliveries (GWR plain Dean Goods?) with this announcement. Or non-announcement. More to the point, I doubt it has anything to do with alleged "Hornby" involvement as this would have been planned long before someone rang Lyndon with the job offer.

As for the gun - well, I'll bite. Quite possibly the most utterly pointless, useless item ever announced since the Triang Giraffe Car. I mean, really how many are modelling anything to do with wartime, whether round 1 or round 2? No? Is that a shell I hear whistling or the sound of the wind driving the tumbleweed along? I get the bit about collectors but really, the amount of money going into tooling this up could have done something much more useful and, probably, a longer term seller. Others have mentioned GWR Toplights, I could chuck in the LMS Period 2 stock or a BR Mk2c, others have mentioned wagons, all of which would have been longer term bankable sellers.

Makes Heljan's Freak Diesel fetish seem positively mainstream.

• Like 3

The Middleton Press "Faversham to Dover" book has a double page spread at plate 70 showing the WW2 depot at the former Stonehall Colliery which was used in association with these guns. The lifting gantry for the 13.5inch gun barrels , about a dozen and more wagons and depot paraphernalia are visible. The photo is credited to "Royal Marines" and appears to have been taken during an official visit. The depot is about a mile on the London side of Kearsney Station.

Royal Marines did often man one turret in battleships, so them working these big guns makes sense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can only assume Oxford are wanting to catch up on deliveries (GWR plain Dean Goods?) with this announcement. Or non-announcement. More to the point, I doubt it has anything to do with alleged "Hornby" involvement as this would have been planned long before someone rang Lyndon with the job offer.

As for the gun - well, I'll bite. Quite possibly the most utterly pointless, useless item ever announced since the Triang Giraffe Car. I mean, really how many are modelling anything to do with wartime, whether round 1 or round 2? No? Is that a shell I hear whistling or the sound of the wind driving the tumbleweed along? I get the bit about collectors but really, the amount of money going into tooling this up could have done something much more useful and, probably, a longer term seller. Others have mentioned GWR Toplights, I could chuck in the LMS Period 2 stock or a BR Mk2c, others have mentioned wagons, all of which would have been longer term bankable sellers.

Makes Heljan's Freak Diesel fetish seem positively mainstream.

If I can talk myself out of Bachmann's crane, the gun has no chance. :jester:

TBH, Oxford could probably tool a range of at least four coaches (on a common underframe) for the same investment.

Even so, the 5-planks and tank wagons fall neatly into slots where Hornby is weak, and the tank wagon one where Bachmann has always seemed prototypically "indecisive".

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

It may not be on anyone else's wish list but as someone who models the Elham Valley  Railway just before WW2 this is an amazing and unexpected model that is a must have. During the war the line was used as the base for the railgun (see the Elham Valley Railway book by B Hart) so I can now model both periods :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If I can talk myself out of Bachmann's crane, the gun has no chance. :jester:

Even so, the 5-planks and tank wagons fall neatly into slots where Hornby is weak and the tank wagon where Bachmann have always seemed prototypically "indecisive".

John

Easy to talk yourself out of a £249.95 crane , for that is the price. I just can’t see a gun appearing on Model Railway layouts

The railgun strikes me as either someone having a bit too much time on their hands and not enough supervision in Oxford Rail's R&D department, or a statement from Oxford that they are very much going to pursue the 'toy' end of the OO gauge model rail market. I felt the motorail wagons a bit gimmicky with 'play value', and the announced Dean Goods with snow plough (where's the snow in 4mm scale?) is one of those silly but dead-end concepts, and this is definitely another step in that direction. 

I mean, how many railguns are people going to buy? What is the R&D and tooling costs on this that couldn't have been better sunk into, say, a range of 'Big 4' open or van wagons, or perhaps some GWR non-corridor stock, or LMS Period 1 or 2 stock; things that would sell in big quantities over many years in a variety of liveries and numbers, thus bringing in a very nice ROI over the long term. 

Very odd. 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

• RMweb Gold

The railgun strikes me as either someone having a bit too much time on their hands and not enough supervision in Oxford Rail's R&D department, or a statement from Oxford that they are very much going to pursue the 'toy' end of the OO gauge model rail market. I felt the motorail wagons a bit gimmicky with 'play value', and the announced Dean Goods with snow plough (where's the snow in 4mm scale?) is one of those silly but dead-end concepts, and this is definitely another step in that direction. 

I mean, how many railguns are people going to buy? What is the R&D and tooling costs on this that couldn't have been better sunk into, say, a range of 'Big 4' open or van wagons, or perhaps some GWR non-corridor stock, or LMS Period 1 or 2 stock; things that would sell in big quantities over many years in a variety of liveries and numbers, thus bringing in a very nice ROI over the long term. 

Very odd. 

CoY

The gun makes more sense if you treat it as emanating from the established Oxford Diecast end of things rather than a somewhat extravagant addition to a model railway business that is still very much in its infancy. 

I entirely agree with your comments re. coaches, though my own preference would be some ex-LSWR Ironclads..........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Me =) it's a welcome announcement after the shed load of BR things from team H & B.

It may not be on anyone else's wish list but as someone who models the Elham Valley  Railway just before WW2 this is an amazing and unexpected model that is a must have. During the war the line was used as the base for the railgun (see the Elham Valley Railway book by B Hart) so I can now model both periods :)

So that's two sales then. I can see this hanging around on the shelves like the stale stench of last night's Biriyani.

• Like 1

Quite possibly the most utterly pointless, useless item ever announced since the Triang Giraffe Car. 

Hold on a mo', Geronimo. I had many hours happy play as a lad with the giraffe car. And the not-too-lifelike PO car. Good times!

(Other than that, you're bang on!)

• Like 3

I agree that this is an 'eclectic' choice, to say the least.

It could be introduced onto my proposed/work-in-progress layout, if only for a little levity. But that hardly justifies a major commercial investment, and I could think of other things that I would rather have (a 36T crane, for starters). I agree with points, made above, that this probably crosses multiple Oxford interests.

I think that I'll order one. I just need to think of what will pull it ca. 1939.

Edited by truffy