'A' feature symbol in catalogue - what does it mean?

97403_Ixion

Hi,

I received my Bachmann catalogue by post from the BCC today but noticed an apparent missing definition...

Each model has an Era symbol as well as various others for features such as directional lighting, DCC decoder type, sound fitted, etc..

One symbol is a 'P' in a circle, to represent 'Preserved' and another is 'W' in a square to represent 'Weathered'.

However, I cannot find what 'A' in a square is meant to mean.  It's not listed at the front of the catalogue, either under the Bachmann Symbol Key, nor Bachmann Era System.

Some models seem to have gained this symbol from the previous year's catalogue - e.g.32-030DS (20156, R/F Red Stripe) which had DCC Sound and Era 8 symbols in the 2017 catalogue, yet now also has the 'A' symbol in the 2018 catalogue.

What does it mean and where in the catalogue does it define it, if at all?

Thanks in advance,

Ixion   :good:

Edited: changed shape to 'square'...round peg, square hole I guess!

Edited by 97403_Ixion

• RMweb Premium

Includes a small parts accessory pack perhaps?  Looking through the Bachmann catalogue, the only ones that don't seem to have the A in a box are older tooling wagons etc.  Pure guesswork based on the available evidence though.

Includes a small parts accessory pack perhaps?  Looking through the Bachmann catalogue, the only ones that don't seem to have the A in a box are older tooling wagons etc.  Pure guesswork based on the available evidence though.

I think you may be right...

I just checked a 20T toad and a TTA tanker - both did not have accessory packs (i.e. as per the catalogue)... though many wagons in the catalogue do not show 'A', yet most diesel locos do - I think just the 08s do not.

Having said that, there were a pair of footsteps in an 'accessory bag' with an old 32-108V (KMRC's FGW green 08410) but I could believe it's either a typo for 08s in the catalogue or perhaps they no longer give them...?

So far, your guess sounds quite plausible.

It is mentioned at the bottom of the page with all the icons on - it is for re-runs with no change from previous runs.

It's not really clear though.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

That is the suffix letter (ie 391-025A) which isnt what we are talking about, have a look on page 5, the top image is 31-910 (no suffix so a new model) but has a large A in a square, below it is 391-025A (a rerun of a previous model) but also has a large A in a square, it is the large A in the square which is the symbol in question.

Unfortunately the A symbol was omitted from the Inside front cover of both catalogues.

It should indicate that there is an accessory pack included with the model pictured.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

AccessoriesSymbol.jpg

Unfortunately the A symbol was omitted from the Inside front cover of both catalogues.

It should indicate that there is an accessory pack included with the model pictured.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

The letter A should have been included in the symbols key for this years catalogue.

However it is currently still in the drawing office, but with luck it should be progressing to tooling later this year.

Bachmann are hoping to have EP samples of the A available at Ally Pally next year (2019) and decorated samples by Warley, later that year.

If all goes according to plan, the production A will be available in time to be included in the symbols key for the 2020 catalogue.

Thanks all for the replies and amusing read!

I also contacted the Bachmann Collectors Club earlier today, who responded within an hour or two with the same reason given by Andy York - thanks for showing the symbol in your post too!  I did wonder if 'A' implied the models came with your approval :wink_mini:

Sadly, there is no prize John M Upton - I wish there was!

• Like 2

The letter A should have been included in the symbols key for this years catalogue.

However it is currently still in the drawing office, but with luck it should be progressing to tooling later this year.

Bachmann are hoping to have EP samples of the A available at Ally Pally next year (2019) and decorated samples by Warley, later that year.

If all goes according to plan, the production A will be available in time to be included in the symbols key for the 2020 catalogue.

And will ship from our factories in China in 2023

Indeed. Cars are lethal but to choose a name which could be read as “KIL” is bad PR. Besides, it upsets the pedant in me.

Yes, like the random use of the wrong Cyrillic letters to denote something Russian, like я (= ya) to denote an R.

post-6971-0-78540500-1516788345.jpg