Arbroath - Metal Box factory

Ben04uk

My Uncle used to work at the Metal Box factory in Arbroath. Does anyone have any details or photos of the rail link to the factory in the 1960's/70's and 80s? What services would have been generated by the factory? Presumably steel in and cans and scrap metal out.

Would they have been Class 26 / 27 hauled?

I spent a very wet week at the Red Lion Caravan Park next to the factory in about 1965.Almost all the traffic was in 10 and 12 ton box vans which were stabled around Elliott Junction station.At that time Dundee had a pair of Ivatt 2mt 2-6-0s now 46463/4 ,one of which was used to move vans.One of them was later preserved.

Cinerails DVD Railways of Scotland volume 8 has film of the line in use.

Incidentally I remember waking one morning and pulling the curtain aside as an unidentified A4 passed heading South Light Engine and walking back from Arbroath town centre as 60522 Straight Deal roared past heading North on a long train of vans!

Happy Days!!

• Like 2

My Uncle used to work at the Metal Box factory in Arbroath. Does anyone have any details or photos of the rail link to the factory in the 1960's/70's and 80s? What services would have been generated by the factory? Presumably steel in and cans and scrap metal out.

Would they have been Class 26 / 27 hauled?

Probably tinplate in, carried in Shoc-vans, and scrap in 16t minerals out. The tinplate would have come from Trostre, Velindre or Ebbw Vale, in South Wales; the scrap would have gone to one of Bachelor-Robinson's detinning plants at Hartlepool or Llanelli.

• 10 months later...