Bachman Class20 32-043DS

Mike-Greg

Hi

I have this loco since it first came out, and it always worked fine

due to house move , the layout was dismantled and stowed in the garage at the new house due to lack of space

all the locos/rolling stock packed in their boxes ans stowed in the spare garage

been like this now for last 3 years

have just made a small shunting layout  6 feet by 20 inches,  so unpacked a couple of locos to run on it

class 80,  class 24,  class 20  all sound fitted

but the class 20 will not run ??

completely dead  no sound and no movement

opened it up,  can see no broken wires or any other visual fault

removed the decoder and fitted the blanking plate to try on analog track,,    nothing

looked on the web for the decoder pins/connections   but the colors shown do not conform with the way the loco is wired 

and i cant see how to remove the motor to check it out away from loco,,,   in fact i can only see one wire going to the  motor   its black and goes to the top of the motor

pickups are clean and get a reading with meter from wheels to decoder plug , so its not contacts ?

was going to check motor with 9v batt but cant see 2nd motor connector ??

so at moment unsure if the decoder is dead  or the motor is dead ??

any help would be appreciated

rgds

Mike

Multimeter time.  (A more-than adequate for model railways multimeter is under £15 at Maplin, who are rarely the cheapest source of things).

With no decoder and no blanking plate:  Check continuity from rails, via wheels and pickups, to the "track" connections on the decoder socket.   Check continuity from decoder socket to motor.  Check resistance of motor. 

With blanking plate:  Check continuity from rails to motor brush contacts.  

You can ignore the wire colours if the maker has just used random wire.  What matters is the pins on the decoder socket, those have to match the standard or the loco can never work with a decoder.  

Hi

Thats quick

i have a multi meter

i have checked wheels to decoder socket   and frack to decoder socket  and it is ok

checked from decoder socket to motor  (1 anyway )  cant see the 2nd motor connection?

how do i check motor resistance ?

Mike

Hi

So  Problem is not solved but identified

took the 21 pin decoder out of the class 25  and put it in the class 20     worked

put the decoder out of the class 20 into the class 25  dont work

dead decoder in class 20  ,   so next stop  i think is to buy the Hornby TTS class 20 chip/speaker assembly and fit

or a more expensive one from olivias ?

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Can you read any CVs on the class 20 decoder? ive had issues with decoders being long out of use sometimes requiring a CV8 reset on them. i wouldnt write the decoder off just yet....

however be warned if its a factory default sounds a cv8 reset may screw the speed matching requiring a reblow but atleast you still have potentially a working sound decoder.

Hi

No it will not read or write

I tried with the Hornby Elite and with the Gaugemaster Pro

also with decoder pro

it comes up with XXX  or 255    decoder pro can not even see the decoder

I tried a reset  still no go

Mike

Edited by Mike-Greg

Hi

No it will not read or write

I tried with the Hornby Elite and with the Gaugemaster Pro

also with decoder pro

it comes up with XXX  or 255    decoder pro can not even see the decoder

I tried a reset  still no go

Mike

Resetting ESU sound decoders can take more than one attempt. Don't bother trying to read it at this stage, just keep trying to reprogram CV8 again. As pheaton said, this can happen with the ESU decoders.

Also, you could try the reset by installing the decoder temporarily in your class 25 again. I once found a Bachmann 4 CEP unit that refused to accept programming, yet the decoder reprogrammed perfectly well when installed into a Hornby class 60.

If you go down the track of getting the Hornby TTS sound decoder (which seems to be getting good reviews), don't forget you will need an adapter to convert the 8-pin TTS to the 21-pin Bachmann pcb, and you may also need to replace the Bachmann speaker with an 8 Ohm speaker to suit the Hornby TTS decoder (the Hornby speaker may be too big to physically fit in the class 20).