Career opportunity at Bachmann - Project Engineer

Andy Y

If any of the armchair experts fancy taking on a role in the real world Bachmann Europe are currently recruiting for a Project Engineer to be involved with the complete process of model railway design and engineering, the vacancy is a result of a planned retirement and would be a great opportunity to work with a passionate team if you have the right skills (that probably rules out many of the armchair experts who think it's all done with a magic wand and a pile of photos of their favourite loco - which they would buy one of).*

We have an exciting and interesting opportunity for a hardworking, self-motivated Project Engineer to join our R&D team, developing model railway products that use the latest in electro/mechanical technology such as DCC control and sound. You will be expected to be able to start and follow-through multiple new projects to completion while working to deadlines and liaising on a day-to-day basis, both with the other members of the R&D team in the UK and our parent company’s engineering team based in Hong Kong.

The successful candidate must have the ability to research, analyse and compile detailed technical briefs and have strong communication skills – both written and verbal. Experience using Autocad, UnigraphicsNX and Solidworks is a key requirement. For a typical project you will be required to:

• Compile a brief historical overview of the prototype
• Source and interpret original engineering drawings
• Arrange site visits to survey full-size prototypes
• Liaise with acknowledged third-party experts, museums and heritage groups
• Create 2D or 3D CAD files of key design elements to assist the HK engineering team
• Analyse and review the completed engineering design
• Evaluate and report on prototype testing
• Liaise with the Artwork team with product decoration requirements

A clear understanding of die-cast metal and plastic manufacturing techniques and materials will be required. An interest in railway modelling or an association with the railway industry would be an advantage, but not essential. We offer a competitive salary plus company benefits to the right applicant.

Please apply with a covering letter and full CV by the 28th February 2018 to:
Job Application – Project Engineer
Bachmann Europe Plc, Moat Way, Barwell, Leicestershire LE9 8EY.
or email personnel@Bachmann-europe.co.uk

http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2018/01/project-engineer/

* My words - not Bachmann's

• Like 8

Have armchair - Tick

Like model trains - Tick

Have some experience of making a model - read most of Dave Jones' threads so that's enough experience I think - Tick

Send a CV - that's a DCC term isn't it, I don't do DCC and all that modern stuff - that's me out.

• Like 1

It's a bad thing that you feel the need to distinguish * your words* from Bachmanns.

Not a bad thing at all but there are some who may struggle to differentiate a personal quip from a professional communication. If they can't, maybe they shouldn't apply either. :P

• Like 3

If any of the armchair experts fancy taking on a role in the real world Bachmann Europe are currently recruiting for a Project Engineer to be involved with the complete process of model railway design and engineering, the vacancy is a result of a planned retirement and would be a great opportunity to work with a passionate team if you have the right skills (that probably rules out many of the armchair experts who think it's all done with a magic wand and a pile of photos of their favourite loco - which they would buy one of).*

* My words - not Bachmann's

One could be forgiven for interpreting Andy's introduction as showing a certain level of contempt for some members of this forum...!

Edited by Andy Y
Quote pruned - surely that's not difficult?
  • Like 1

One could be forgiven for interpreting Andy's introduction as showing a certain level of contempt for some members of this forum...!

You think I love you all?

Every time an announcement is made by anyone it's followed by a load of shouldacouldas who think it's all so easy; frequently they outnumber those who do know what they're talking about and understand the way the wider world works. So yes, there are 'some'.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Slightly tongue in cheek, can I suggest a small addition, that might save Bachmann a lot of agony (the fingers of staff having to change them) and some money too:

"Can tell the difference between the myriad of different underframe tanks on Class 47s."

Good luck to the successful applicant.

• Like 1

Not sure why the announcement needed to be encumbered by a negative gloss of any kind, but I am sure that it will be a great opportunity for anyone suitably qualified for the actual job description. 

Bachmann's is a range that goes from strength to strength, and there is such a lot to be positive about in terms of the variety and quality of its out put and its success in catching up on its back-log.

Good luck to Bachmann, to their retiree and to their new hire!

• RMweb Premium

Do I hear a stampede? However, which direction is that heading? To the PC to get the Applicatioin sorted or to the darkened room without any communication devices, to remain hidden in case anyone thinks that after all the whinging, this is just the job for 'you'.

Sadly I am not only too old but I am no longer any good at anything they want and was only qualified in one required element anyway when I was working. 

Maybe they (Baccy) need to suggest that Person Spec absolute essentials are a sense of humour and having total confidence in handling conflict resoloution  situations.

A. R. C. Rascal

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Cannot see it paying that much no mention of salary, a sub £50k role I would of thought? The best of luck to all that apply though, at least house prices are quite cheap in that part of the world compared to the South East.

If any of the armchair experts fancy taking on a role in the real world Bachmann Europe are currently recruiting for a Project Engineer to be involved with the complete process of model railway design and engineering,

Agree somewhat that it is in the real world, but it is not the complete process if you include engineering. Bachmann Europe plug directly in to Kader framework and they are customer (although owned by them of course), sure the design work is done in Barwell but I would not consider it end to end. 

Agree somewhat that it is in the real world, but it is not the complete process if you include engineering. Bachmann Europe plug directly in to Kader framework and they are customer (although owned by them of course), sure the design work is done in Barwell but I would not consider it end to end.

They will be 'involved' as it says. Just because the product will appear on the other side of the world doesn't mean the designers won't need to tweak things to help production.

No mention is made of travel - which would incentivise some & put others off, if it is available.

It's a bad thing that you feel the need to distinguish * your words* from Bachmanns.

I’d say it was only correct, and proper business etiquette. Bachmann’s Job Description is an official document, intended to read in connection with a possible contract of employment. The forum should only quote it in that context, and clearly distinguish between Bachmann’s words and the forum’s.

Cannot see it paying that much no mention of salary, a sub £50k role I would of thought? The best of luck to all that apply though, at least house prices are quite cheap in that part of the world compared to the South East.

I have no idea of the salary but I would think so; however there are some who think it should be done for nothing, just for the love of appeasing modellers' whims and keeping prices down to the bare minimum.

• Like 2