Career opportunity at Bachmann - Project Engineer

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Is this the 2015 job opportunity running late?

Mike.

:jester:

That job was rather nicely filled and no doubt has been responsible for some of the very nice models we are enjoying now  ;)  I can think of a couple on here who would be great for such a role but have gone off there own way as small producers. Note also they don't necessarily decide what they research, though they can suggest things to be considered ;)

It's not as if the majority don't know there are some blinkered on here that can only see their own interest, funnily enough I don't think they'd get on very well deciding to go their own way and design the Listowel & Ballybunnion Lartigue, because they'd have fifteen of those themselves :jester:  :jester:

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Not too sure if I meet any of the things on the job spec except  I do fit this "it's all done with a magic wand and a pile of photos of my favourite loco - which I might buy one of".

How much I am I going to be paid?

Depends what your wand is like old bean....................................... :mosking:

Philth

• Like 1

Cannot see it paying that much no mention of salary, a sub £50k role I would of thought? The best of luck to all that apply though, at least house prices are quite cheap in that part of the world compared to the South East.

As a proficient user of Autocad and Solidworks I'd suggest sub £25k. I'm paid the big bucks because of my experience in my sector, but looking at the job sites I think I would fetch that kind of money in a different sector (we're talking outside of London here). If they get someone with a love of trains they'll probably pay you less.

Will someone who has the required skills , models LNER and thinks that we desperately need an A8, J27, D20, G5, diagram 93 sentinel steam railcar and articulated coach sets please apply!!!

Could I add a W1 to that? :locomotive:

As a proficient user of Autocad and Solidworks I'd suggest sub £25k. I'm paid the big bucks because of my experience in my sector, but looking at the job sites I think I would fetch that kind of money in a different sector (we're talking outside of London here). If they get someone with a love of trains they'll probably pay you less.

Hey, they have to pay the software licenses somehow!

Sub £25k is very low, many people in the South East would not get out of bed for that kind of salary. Thought it would be quite low pay but that figure surprises me. I know salary details vary based on region somewhat but that is low. Bachmann do have quite a small headcount I seem to recall at Barwell it was circa 40 staff? Quite a small headcount for a company that according to its last registered accounts has wealth in-excess of £10 million and with just over £1 million in cash sat in the bank. They do seem to have some outstanding debt with Barclays but still considering the headcount and small payroll has reasonably healthy financials.  

• RMweb Premium

Sub £25k is very low, many people in the South East would not get out of bed for that kind of salary.

National Minimum Wage is £7.50 hour so for a 40 hour week that's £15,600pa. I would suggest that there are many in the South East who have to get out of bed for that salary.

• RMweb Premium

For what Bachman want this person to do they may well need to pay about £35k and that to an 'enthusiast' that also happens to have the skills required, probably does not have a large mortgage and maybe does not have a family. The 'enthusiast' will probably be willing to tolerate stuff that someone from (say) another background, with little or no conatct with the MR Industry/hobby, will be able to handle once they get going, unless they happen to be a hugely tolerant and understanding soul.

Phil

National Minimum Wage is £7.50 hour so for a 40 hour week that's £15,600pa. I would suggest that there are many in the South East who have to get out of bed for that salary.

Good luck with that salary when in many areas to get a decent family house you are looking at £500k and upwards

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with that salary when in many areas to get a decent family house you are looking at £500k and upwards

In our town you can get a decent family house for £170/200K  OK so it would be an hours + commute to Barwell but...ECML, A1 and M1 within easy distance. Average wage around here probably about £15/20K

Not everywhere is too expensive.

Phil

• Like 1

I cant quite believe some of the earlier comments in this thread right from the start but lets leave it there without "quoting " them as that just degenerates into meaningless arguments and word play .....

Now......if the salary was say 40k-45k and you could commute to Barwell Id say you can live a fairly decent lifestyle whether single or with family,  Houses in the west/east midlands can be bought from as little as 120-130k+ and chances are I doubt a first time buyer would be going for this level of job anyway.  I am sure a decent house can be bought in the catchment for considerably less than half a million quid  (LOL again).

I cant quite believe some of the earlier comments in this thread right from the start but lets leave it there without "quoting " them as that just degenerates into meaningless arguments and word play .....

Now......if the salary was say 40k-45k and you could commute to Barwell Id say you can live a fairly decent lifestyle whether single or with family,  Houses in the west/east midlands can be bought from as little as 120-130k+ and chances are I doubt a first time buyer would be going for this level of job anyway.  I am sure a decent house can be bought in the catchment for considerably less than half a million quid  (LOL again).

It is a very different world in the South East, even in locations such as the East of England take Cambridge for example £500k will not go as far as you would think. For £120-130k in these parts you would get nothing.