6point5 Minimum Gauge Models

James Hilton

6point5.png?v=1516885720

MG_banner.JPG?v=1516874434

In 2017 we launched our first kits for 006.5 through Narrow Planet. We were the first to offer commercially available kits in this new scale, combining 1:76 (4mm/ft) modelling with 6.5mm gauge track to represent 18" gauge prototypes, and are excited to be championing the potential of 006.5 for high quality model making in small spaces.

This year we have plans to increase the range, and scope of the scale. We've got a new product page on the Narrow Planet website where you can view the currently available range online, as well as look at the new catalogue with a few hints of what is to come in 2018.

Direct Catalogue download (PDF 1.2mb)

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

I'm excited to share another development in 006.5...

I've been pondering doing a Ruston in 006.5 for a month or so, and even have some proof of concept sketches complete - but it is another locomotive that has inspired me to fire up the design software and get designing...

perrygrove.jpg

The Hunslet (Jenbach) diesel shunters, built in 1994 by Hunslet in Leeds, to a Jenbach design (Type DH25), fitted with a Kubota diesel engine and weighing 2.7 tonnes. They were I believe originally used on the Jubilee line extension in 1996/7 as 2ft gauge locomotives and have ended up on a few miniature railways in the UK and rebuilt in different guises. There is one at Eaton Hall (15inch), one at Fairbourne (12inch) and one at Perrygrove (15inch) that I know of - I'm sure there are a few more too...

fairbourne.jpg

eatonhall.jpg

The 006.5 model (representing 18" gauge) is a touch longer than the prototype due to the Busch mechanism but I've worked hard to maintain the proportions of the cute little locomotive. Shown below is very much a work in progress render of the model. Usual design of a 3D core, but favouring my new technique of a kit f parts to assemble, and then fitting the etched metal parts over for the cab and bonnet doors. My intention is this opens up 006.5 in a new direction, a way of modelling miniature railways in 4mm scale. I hope to order the prototype parts soon, so I should have more to share in a month or so... in the meantime I believe the etched parts are back for the Churchwater locomotive and wagons so I'll share more on them soon...

Perrygrove%2BHunslet%2Bv1_1.png

All photos taken by myself, top to bottom Perrygrove, Fairbourne and Eaton Hall. It would appear that Perrygrove have modified the bodywork whereas Eaton and Fairbourne have just modified the existing body panels.

• Like 5

The prototype etches arrived over the weekend for the forthcoming 006.5 Vowchurch Slate Company wagons and locomotive...

FullSizeRender-783697.jpg

I had four wagons designed (well three, a pair of small opens) and the chassis arrived some time ago from Shapeways. These were very neatly printed and needed minimum cleaning up. I have made a start on the etch assembly by putting together the small open. This consists of a fold up wagon body, with etched plank detail (on the floor and outside of the wagon), corner pieces and the one piece chassis, and is superglued together.

FullSizeRender-785371.jpg

The corner pieces have recessed circles on the back to allow you to press the rivets through to the front. I put a 0.4mm brass wire in my pin vice and used this to emboss the rivets before folding them along the fold line.

FullSizeRender-786365.jpg

These were then superglued to the folded wagon body...

FullSizeRender-787201.jpg

...and then fitted it to the chassis and added a brake lever from 0.4mm brass rod...

FullSizeRender-788162.jpg

...pictured here with the locomotive (more on that below). Mark Greenwood recently posted photos of our (6point5 models) next wagon with a 20p piece - I couldn't find a 20p so a new £1 will have to do... it shows how cute an tiny the wagon is, and the couplings (magnets) fitted in the pre-formed coupler boxes. These are a variation from the prototype sketches of Brian because to traverse the Busch track and use the magnetic couplers I couldn't use extended frames.

FullSizeRender-789241.jpg

So I mentioned the locomotive... here she is, the Taffson Evans and Jenkins saddle tank. There are a few small changes needed to the print and etch, but in principle it all works and fits nicely. The proportions look great and it's a scale representation of Brian's original sketch.

FullSizeRender-790236.jpg

It looks tiny, and it is...

FullSizeRender-792890.jpg

...and it's worth comparing it to the existing 6point5 steam locomotive, the Avonside. Here you can see it's a little shorter, so the driver is going to have to stoop in the cab (just like in the illustrations by Brian). It's the same width and length though, cute but not ridiculous. It will use the same etched parts for the conversion of the Deutz diesel chassis too, and includes lovely works plates and name plates.

FullSizeRender-793658.jpg

More soon, as I intend to finish the prototype as my own model and modify the etch and print design subtly for the production run.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

In my concerted effort to get 006.5 established as a workable scale I'm pushing on with more rolling stock projects, this time a pair of coaches that should work very nicely with Empire...

First up is an interesting adaption of an old Meridian kit, which now sits within the Narrow Planet family. The plastic moulded 'Brown Marshall' coach will receive a replacement plug in 006.5 bogie chassis and some etched metal footboards. You may think I'm bonkers, but I was about to draw up a Royal Arsenal panelled coach, and I noticed the similarity, not only in appearance but also dimensions, to the Talyllyn coach. The panelling should be diagonal, not straight, but apart from that I'm hoping it will make an attractive and well proportioned addition to the range, and should be fine n the sharp Busch corners.

Royal%2BArsenal%2BCoach.png

Royal%2BArsenal%2BCoach%2Bchassis.png

The second new item is a little more obscure, and I've only found drawings, no photographs to work from - these in the 18" railways book by Mark Smithers, long out of print. The Chatham docks railway was also 18" and these coaches, built by the Lancaster Carriage works were described as 'convict coaches'.

Convict%2Bcoach.png

The concept is a wire frame 3D print, like Mark has used recently on the much smaller gunpowder van, combined with etched inlays and roof. The prototype parts have been designed and will be ordered soon. I am unsure if this longer coach will cope with the sharper Busch radius, but I am expecting it to be fine on the wider radius curves.

Both of these new items use a bogie I've designed - if the concept works in 006.5 then I will be able to offer further bogie items including the distinctive Royal Arsenal vans and the Waltham Abbey wagons. More soon...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes things just come together exactly as you plan, and that is the case with my latest 6.5mm gauge diesel locomotive...

Jubilee is based on the Perrygrove 15" Hunslet Jenbach diesel, as I explained in my earlier post. The 3D print has etched parts fitted, and I've finished it in a red livery, inspired by the prototype - but generic enough for use on my layouts.

IMG_2508.jpg

I'm really happy with the bonnet doors, the etched louvres are incredibly fine and I was worried they'd be obscured by paint but they still look very fine indeed. The cab is largely etched, which allows pretty much flush glazing to be fitted - very effective on this TINY locomotive.

IMG_2516.jpg

The final shot shows the model in use on my layout, Creech Grange where it looks very much at home. I've ordered the production prints from Shapeways, so just need to sort the instructions and etches and then it will be available through Narrow Planet in the 6point5 range. More soon...

IMG_2521.jpg

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...

I've been working on some more kits for 6point5, largely inspired by my own plans for a small slate railway in 006.5...

FullSizeRender-748821.jpg

To go with the 'Taffson Evan and Jenkins' locomotives, I have also lifted the Vowchurch quarry slate wagons from the imagination of Brian Clarke and his wonderful book 'Slate Railway to Churchwater'. These tiny wagons combine etched brass fold up bodies and details with a 3D printed chassis.

FullSizeRender-750933.jpg

As well as that approach, I've also incorporated a slot to mount a larger diameter magnet between the frames. I've used the ones supplied as Greenwich uncoupling magnets, and it improves the road holding as there is no where to add weight in these tiny wagons. The locos and couplings still cope with a train of 3 or 4 wagons with no problems.

FullSizeRender-753913.jpg

These four are the production versions of the GW ones I showed a few months ago and should be onsale soon through Narrow Planet. More soon...

• Like 5

The new '6point5' models catalog will shortly be available, and as part of that I'm really excited to share plans for the next models in the range...

35E3A93C-469A-4A49-BF2F-2E58CE5A507C.lar

Following the success of 'Jubilee', the 15" gauge Perrygrove Hunslet-Jenbach diesel the next releases will be focused upon Estate and miniature prototypes. The range will include an Exmoor style 0-4-0t, Alan Keef inspired coaches and a small range of estate wagons with typical loads (a stationary engine, a pair of oil drums, a tool box). More soon...

(If anyone would like a print of the illustration I can provide these for £12 each on high quality art board delivered free in the UK - get in touch using the contact form on the website or a messenger system).

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

The prototype of the Hudswell Clarke diesel in 006.5 has now been finished, and although winning no beauty contests, now the driver has been squeezed in and plates added, I've got a real soft spot for it...

FullSizeRender-780362.jpg

The driver is a cut down Hornby figure, with his arm repositioned from it's somewhat dubious salute. He has also lost a whole leg, and the foot on the remaining leg, to fit into the cab. I have no idea what angle the driver sat or crouched in on the prototype, I've not found a photo of it with a driver, but I couldn't get my usual Airfix/Dapol workman standing figures to fit, so I figured seated was ok! I have also added a brake stand, I'll look to source these for the production kits.

FullSizeRender-783252.jpg

Here posed with the Heywood wagon, which is a great visual match with the model, and would look at home on a small industrial layout or part of a standard gauge locomotive works. The production prints have been ordered, so I'm just waiting on these to arrive, and we'll start to put together the kits... unlikely to be all sorted before Christmas, but potentially a January release in the 6point5 range.

FullSizeRender-785182.jpg

I've also re-finished the pair of Royal Arsenal 1 plank wagons I've had for some time, these were the prototypes from Mark Greenwood, and I originally painted them quick for Creech Grange's appearance at ExpoNG in 2017. They've been repainted darker, with an unpainted wood interior and the metal work on the outside picked out in black. I've got plans for another 006.5 layout this winter, so keep your eyes peeled. More soon...

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

The imminent release of the Hudswell Clarke diesel means I can now focus on 6point5 models for 2019. I shared some CAD renderings of these models on the Facebook page late last year. I was excited to receive the prototype parts from Steve and Shapeways so I could begin to assemble the first 'real' models...

FullSizeRender-739781.jpg

Pictured here, the trio, L-R we have the Brede bogie coal wagon, the Waltham Abbey gunpowder wagon and the Exmoor style 0-4-0t.

FullSizeRender-742767.jpg

First of all, the Brede coal wagon - this is a 3D printed chassis and bogies (similar in concept to the workers coach) with an etched fold up body with etched overlays including the corners and door strapping. The model is small and quite cute, and will look good mixed with other items in the range. I expect this will sell as a single wagon when released.

FullSizeRender-746290.jpg

The second new item is the Waltham Abbey gunpowder wagon, again multi media. The 3D printed chassis also includes the uprights and roof, etched planked floor and ends and a fold up etched shell are then fitted and the tie bars added from 0.4mm brass wire. Bogies are the correct wheelbase, and feature the heavy buffer beam visible in photos, but there are not many good photos of these wagons so it's a little 'guesstimate' here and there. I currently haven't included an etched roof, as this better matches the prototype photos I have - but once painted I will evaluate this.

FullSizeRender-749575.jpg

Finally, the next steam locomotive in the range, an Exmoor 'style' 0-4-0t. This small model is similar in length to the Avonside, but has a lower cab roof, and no dropped footplate. A driver can stand, but will need to bend, or lean out - a seated figure would work better. The model is 'Exmoor' style, but could pass for a product of Hunslet if you so fancied. A multi part 3D printed body (as per the Avonside and Taffson) will allow two alternative cabs - and the etched cab front and back plate, roof and buffer beams add finesse to these important visual areas. The kit will also include a white metal chimney, smokebox dart and 6point5 magnetic couplers.

I'll share some more when I've got these prototypes painted!

More soon...

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hudswell Clarke Diesel now available - £35 including UK Postage

IMG_6309_compact.jpg?v=1547715904

The 18" gauge railway at Crewe Works was introduced by John Ramsbottom in 1861 and was an internal tramway system serving the various workshops, most notably the steel works and the joinery shop. Crewe was the main locomotive works of the London and North Western Railway and later the London Midland and Scottish Railway. 

In 1930 Hudswell Clarke built the first diesel locomotive for the LMS, works number D563. Powered by a 20hp three cylinder McLaren Benz diesel engine, and numbered 5519, it spent just a few years at Crewe before the tramway was abandoned in 1932 and hence was transferred to the Horwich Works, loosing it's name and renumbered ZM9.

About the kit
The kit is comprised of a 3D printed plastic body shell and a fret of etched nickel silver detail parts. Limited folding of these parts is required and they can all be glued in place. Handrail knobs and wire, brake stand and coupling magnets are included.

It requires a Busch H0f LKM NS2 diesel to complete. Note, driver not included.
Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The first of a pair of new steam engines in the 6point5 range this year is a small 0-4-0t inspired by the Exmoor locomotives...

FullSizeRender-778394.jpg

These minimum gauge (usually 15" and under) often have a lot of Hunslet design queues, so this locomotive could equally pass as a small Hunslet if you so fancied. This version is fitted with the straight curve cab, I think we'll also offer the curved cab when we release it as a kit later this year. 

FullSizeRender-781132.jpg

The model uses a Busch Deutz chassis, and some faux valve gear added to replace the Deutz coupling rods. The body is a mix of 3D print, etch and white metal. The chimney (non-standard on this first prototype - but will be a RT Models Sand Hutton Hunslet chimney) and smokebox dart are white metal. The 3D printed body consists of a chassis, pair of tanks, top section of the cab (allowing the two options) and a smokebox/boiler. Etched cab front and rear, with access door overlay and an etched roof complete the straight forward model. 

FullSizeRender-784062.jpg

This approach makes it easy to smooth the parts prior to assembly. The model is quite small, larger than the 12" gauge Exmoor, but not much larger than Spirit of Adventure at Perrygrove. The cab roof is low, and the driver has had his hat trimmed right down to fit, really he'd have more room if he was leaning against the back sheet or sitting down. I've shown it here with the existing Avonside, also an 0-4-0t. The Exmoor is a touch lower, but doesn't have the dropped footplate. The boiler is lower pitched, and the running plate is not continuos. It's also fitted with larger cylinders and dummy valve gear.

FullSizeRender-787389.jpg

It's a nice match though, and once released, we'll have 3 locos in the range including the Taffson. The fourth item, an 18" Manning Wardle will be shared later in the year, although there are a few teasers on the Facebook page! More soon...

• Like 5

James,

You are producing some stunning models here and your kits almost single-handedly open up this very under-utilised and under-exploited scale to a much wider audience. 

Cracking stuff and look forward to seeing some of your locos and rolling stock in person soon. 

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/01/2019 at 08:57, James Hilton said:

The imminent release of the Hudswell Clarke diesel means I can now focus on 6point5 models for 2019. I shared some CAD renderings of these models on the Facebook page late last year. I was excited to receive the prototype parts from Steve and Shapeways so I could begin to assemble the first 'real' models...

FullSizeRender-739781.jpg

Pictured here, the trio, L-R we have the Brede bogie coal wagon, the Waltham Abbey gunpowder wagon and the Exmoor style 0-4-0t.

FullSizeRender-742767.jpg

First of all, the Brede coal wagon - this is a 3D printed chassis and bogies (similar in concept to the workers coach) with an etched fold up body with etched overlays including the corners and door strapping. The model is small and quite cute, and will look good mixed with other items in the range. I expect this will sell as a single wagon when released.

FullSizeRender-746290.jpg

The second new item is the Waltham Abbey gunpowder wagon, again multi media. The 3D printed chassis also includes the uprights and roof, etched planked floor and ends and a fold up etched shell are then fitted and the tie bars added from 0.4mm brass wire. Bogies are the correct wheelbase, and feature the heavy buffer beam visible in photos, but there are not many good photos of these wagons so it's a little 'guesstimate' here and there. I currently haven't included an etched roof, as this better matches the prototype photos I have - but once painted I will evaluate this.

FullSizeRender-749575.jpg

Finally, the next steam locomotive in the range, an Exmoor 'style' 0-4-0t. This small model is similar in length to the Avonside, but has a lower cab roof, and no dropped footplate. A driver can stand, but will need to bend, or lean out - a seated figure would work better. The model is 'Exmoor' style, but could pass for a product of Hunslet if you so fancied. A multi part 3D printed body (as per the Avonside and Taffson) will allow two alternative cabs - and the etched cab front and back plate, roof and buffer beams add finesse to these important visual areas. The kit will also include a white metal chimney, smokebox dart and 6point5 magnetic couplers.

I'll share some more when I've got these prototypes painted!

More soon...

has there been any progress on the Gunpowder mills wagons? hoping to get the ruston proctor and these would work very well with them!

• 3 months later...
On 19/02/2018 at 16:54, James Hilton said:

I'm excited to share another development in 006.5...

I've been pondering doing a Ruston in 006.5 for a month or so, and even have some proof of concept sketches complete - but it is another locomotive that has inspired me to fire up the design software and get designing...

perrygrove.jpg

The Hunslet (Jenbach) diesel shunters, built in 1994 by Hunslet in Leeds, to a Jenbach design (Type DH25), fitted with a Kubota diesel engine and weighing 2.7 tonnes. They were I believe originally used on the Jubilee line extension in 1996/7 as 2ft gauge locomotives and have ended up on a few miniature railways in the UK and rebuilt in different guises. There is one at Eaton Hall (15inch), one at Fairbourne (12inch) and one at Perrygrove (15inch) that I know of - I'm sure there are a few more too...

fairbourne.jpg

eatonhall.jpg

The 006.5 model (representing 18" gauge) is a touch longer than the prototype due to the Busch mechanism but I've worked hard to maintain the proportions of the cute little locomotive. Shown below is very much a work in progress render of the model. Usual design of a 3D core, but favouring my new technique of a kit f parts to assemble, and then fitting the etched metal parts over for the cab and bonnet doors. My intention is this opens up 006.5 in a new direction, a way of modelling miniature railways in 4mm scale. I hope to order the prototype parts soon, so I should have more to share in a month or so... in the meantime I believe the etched parts are back for the Churchwater locomotive and wagons so I'll share more on them soon...

Perrygrove%2BHunslet%2Bv1_1.png

All photos taken by myself, top to bottom Perrygrove, Fairbourne and Eaton Hall. It would appear that Perrygrove have modified the bodywork whereas Eaton and Fairbourne have just modified the existing body panels.

I’d say there is no chance of squeezing anything 009 in the model. The frames are designed for 006.5, the body slides over the Busch mech and is a very tight fit. I don’t have the model on to hand to measure, but the Busch mech is just 9mm wide.

42 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

I’d say there is no chance of squeezing anything 009 in the model. The frames are designed for 006.5, the body slides over the Busch mech and is a very tight fit. I don’t have the model on to hand to measure, but the Busch mech is just 9mm wide.

Thanks for your reply which I appreciate. I'll have to think of some other cunning plan instead. It's a pity as your model makes an excellent 'modern image' diesel. My smallest Mashima motor is 10mm wide so just too wide unfortunately.

Edited by happyChappy
Motor details

• RMweb Premium

Depends if the Hunslet Jenbach is low enough to get under my bridge, the layout is height restricted as it lives hides in the living room.

BAAB106E-69A2-48F6-BC0D-62CCDCF72103.jpeg.8e156c1faa1f8cab794cad1c8473c947.jpeg

Many many years ago I scratchbuilt three Ruston Proctors in OO9 as a friend was making a layout of the gunpower factory at Waltham Abbey.  Perhaps its time to make another model of it.

I’ve got a Rokuhan? Z gauge BoBo chassis which runs better than the Busch locos - it needs a body making.

• Like 1