Missing buildings, the blitz, town planning, etc.

Jamiel

It’s not necessarily the case, that mismatched redevelopment denotes bomb damage, though. When I first arrived in Peterborough, the great hole in the town centre resulting from preliminary site clearance for the Queensgate Centre gave me a sharp stab of deja-vu, but it was just the early 1970s doing what they did..

• Like 1

Some of you might find this of interest from the BFI website: Wolverhampton into the 70s.

Wolverhampton Corporation try to sell redevelopment, new road schemes and high rise estates as the future. Good luck with that, guys. Actually, whilst it's easy for us to scoff today, had a lot of the highway schemes featured not progressed the area would be in a far worse situation than now. If we don't like ring-road chic and the consequent modern redevelopments we have no-one to blame but ourselves for buying so many cars.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-wolverhampton-into-the-seventies-1970-online

• Like 3

I was over to Boston today, up the A16. Since there has been something of a vogue for East Anglian layouts lately, it’s worth mentioning that a common feature of the landscape after WW2 were airfields and their associated defences - runways and hard standings (some if which are still in use for agricultural purposes) occasional control towers (a few of which still remain) bunkers and pillboxes, Nissen huts (of which a very few can still be seen, derelict after long careers as machinery sheds)

Edited by rockershovel