Accurascale Announce OO HUO - NEW PRE-TOPS RUN ANNOUNCED 23/07/2020

Hi. 

With regard to your point 3, the wheels look like brass?  Is that just a temporary thing for this sample?  Presumably the wheel treads will remain as metal, even if the front and rear faces are painted.  Or are wheels just blackened now?  I was wondering if the tread needed to look more steel like, but a quick look at prototype pictures on Mr Bartlett's website maybe suggest bright steel isn't actually that obvious.

I understand that you have had engagement with the EM Gauge Society?  Therefore are the axles the standard length (26mm) to allow alternative EM or P4 wheels to be fitted?  And is there space for them?  I think I read that you were designing to allow for this?  I guess checking replacements fit, and can be got in/out without major strain on the underframe (or your fingers!), is part of your checking.

This model doesn't really fit with my modelling interests, but am always happy to see new goods stock being produced, and especially where it doesn't duplicate prototypes already available as kits.

Best of luck with this and look forward to future models.

Hi everyone,

I'm delighted to report that we have now received the first production samples of our HUO from the factory in China. Here are some pics, but before you have a good look, please remember the following caveats:

3. The bling wheels will of course, be toned down for production

Thanks,

Fran

• RMweb Gold

Hi 26Power,

Many thanks for your query.

The material for the wheels will remain brass, but will be chemnically blackened, which is standard RTR practice. I can assure you they will look suitably steel-like when fully finished.

As for the conversion to EM and P4, we have sent a sample each to EMGS and Scalefour society to allow them to carry out a conversion and assess how simple it is. It is certainly something we were in contact with both societies about, and something we want to get right to allow as simple a conversion as possible.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by 071
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Gung hay fat choy.

Look smashing.

Fried rice with mine please.

Hi. 

With regard to your point 3, the wheels look like brass?  Is that just a temporary thing for this sample?  Presumably the wheel treads will remain as metal, even if the front and rear faces are painted.  Or are wheels just blackened now?  I was wondering if the tread needed to look more steel like, but a quick look at prototype pictures on Mr Bartlett's website maybe suggest bright steel isn't actually that obvious.

I understand that you have had engagement with the EM Gauge Society?  Therefore are the axles the standard length (26mm) to allow alternative EM or P4 wheels to be fitted?  And is there space for them?  I think I read that you were designing to allow for this?  I guess checking replacements fit, and can be got in/out without major strain on the underframe (or your fingers!), is part of your checking.

This model doesn't really fit with my modelling interests, but am always happy to see new goods stock being produced, and especially where it doesn't duplicate prototypes already available as kits.

Best of luck with this and look forward to future models.

It's not so much swapping the axles for EM/P4, that's the easy bit, but lining up the brakes afterwards.

Mike.

Presumably easy if the standard axle length is used, and you don't need to file back the W irons etc, which I understand are issues with some other models?  (Just an "armchair modeller" at the moment!)  

At least it seems consideration is being given.  Hopefully those with the test samples consider your point.

It's not so much swapping the axles for EM/P4, that's the easy bit, but lining up the brakes afterwards.

Mike.

Fried rice with mine please.

Mike.

Yes, swapping the axles SHOULD be the easy bit - but other recent entrants to the market* don't seem to have got the message .......... even on wagons where their brakes are OK ! ..................................... I have no worries about Accurascale in this respect.

Can't help wondering who's going to be first to get the hopper doors hinged for a good dump !

*or established manufacturers for that matter - enabling the fitting of pickups on non-lit carriages ............

• RMweb Gold

Yep, it’s a straightforward drop in conversion we’re delighted to say! There will be an article on it in the next Scalefour circular I believe. All our future models will be the same :)

There is also a sample on the Rails of Sheffield stand and the 3D print is on the locomotion stand for the duration of the show!

Thanks,

Fran

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It was lovely to see - and handle - several of the HUO's in the flesh on several stands at Model Rail Scotland today. They are fantastically well detailed - wonderful models coming down the line. And, given a number of us handled them and they were still complete, they must be fairly hardy too!

John Storey

• RMweb Gold

It was lovely to see - and handle - several of the HUO's in the flesh on several stands at Model Rail Scotland today. They are fantastically well detailed - wonderful models coming down the line. And, given a number of us handled them and they were still complete, they must be fairly hardy too!

John Storey

Thank you for the kind words John! The models will remain on the Scalefour and Rails stand for the weekend so feel free to drop by for a look and a big thanks to both groups for hosting them for us!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Just a quick reminder; if you wish to avail of the HOP24 Bundle offer (the five packs for £275, and most of you have!) make sure you select the 'bundle pack' on our website, rather than adding each pack to your basket individually. If you add them individually it will not give you the discount! 

The link for the bundle is https://accurascale.co.uk/shop/wagons/huo-pre-tops-bundle/

post-7114-0-28051300-1519654171_thumb.png

Cheers!

Fran

• RMweb Gold

Is there anything more exciting in model form than a heavy coal train with a scruffy 0-6-0 working hard at the helm? We love this portrait by Phil Waterfield on flickr with a train of HOP24s carrying a hefty load of black diamonds! We cannot wait to unleash these wagons on the market so similar scenes can be reproduced.

Pre-orders of our HOP24 have proven to be popular! Order yours now https://accurascale.co.uk/product-category/wagons/

14739010301_aa86a0cbd2_k.jpgOld stager by Phil Waterfield, on Flickr

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Nice picture, interestingly the grey wagons have the alternative centre stanchion which goes right down to solebar height rather than bending in two thirds of the way down the side. This alternative style was less common.

• Like 2

Nice picture, interestingly the grey wagons have the alternative centre stanchion which goes right down to solebar height rather than bending in two thirds of the way down the side. This alternative style was less common.

From personal experience when I was at West Blyth & Cambois I only ever found one without the tucked in centre stanchion. This I believe was a works error as this part of the design ensured that the when opened the Teemer was not injured after attaching an extension handle on to the door handle to increase leverage to open them!

The central double doors could/were quite often hard to close.

Mark Saunders

Is there anything more exciting in model form than a heavy coal train with a scruffy 0-6-0 working hard at the helm? We love this portrait by Phil Waterfield on flickr with a train of HOP24s carrying a hefty load of black diamonds! We cannot wait to unleash these wagons on the market so similar scenes can be reproduced.

Pre-orders of our HOP24 have proven to be popular! Order yours now https://accurascale.co.uk/product-category/wagons/

14739010301_aa86a0cbd2_k.jpgOld stager by Phil Waterfield, on Flickr

More intriguing which lot/s were delivered in Bauxite other than the fitted ones!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

Hope you're well! 

Some of the early 1/148 wagons with the LNER-style brake gear were painted bauxite, as well as some of the 1/155 wagons (along with 1/153 as you mentioned previously!). We only have evidence of a single revised 1/148 being painted bauxite (so far!) 

Cheers,

Fran

Edited by 071

Hi Mark,

Hope you're well! 

Some of the early 1/148 wagons with the LNER-style brake gear were painted bauxite, as well as some of the 1/155 wagons (along with 1/153 as you mentioned previously!). We only have evidence of a single revised 1/148 being painted bauxite (so far!) 

Cheers,

Fran

Fran

Thanks, with a large dose of hindsight I wish I had purchased a better camera and photographed the wagons I saw at work everyday including the "circuit working" branded ones!

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fran

Thanks, with a large dose of hindsight I wish I had purchased a better camera and photographed the wagons I saw at work everyday including the "circuit working" branded ones!

Mark

I think every single one of us on this forum has a similar regret about not having a better camera when they were younger. I certainly feel I missed out on a lot! 

• Like 1

I think every single one of us on this forum has a similar regret about not having a better camera when they were younger. I certainly feel I missed out on a lot! 

..... and in twenty or thirty years time we'll all be regretting not photographing all that boring stuff that's running out there nowadays ......... makes you shudder at the thought !