Why Have Bachmann Not Produced Any 150/1s For Ages?

centraltrains

I do know how to repaint models but anything over £60 of value I get very scared of modifying and I much prefer the finish of factory painted items.

You'll never improve your skill set if you maintain that mentality, practice on something first is always the best policy, then when you're confident enough, repaint it..

NL

It's possible I suppose. They may feel it can be justified given they will be around a bit longer (strange to relate they are now the same age as the "Heritage" units they replaced back in 1986-7!) but I suspect any modification to make use of the new chassis, and possibly match the features of the forthcoming 158, will come after they have put the new chassis under the Voyager and, who knows, possibly even adapted the model to allow the Meridians to be modelled as well. I have an itchy feeling that will be the next updated contemporary item after the 170, and I'm inclined to ask Paddy Power how much he'd offer a bet on a new Voyager/Meridian being next year's big announcement.

I hope you’re right about the Voyagers. I’ve been waiting quite a while! Meantime I’m more than pleased by the MUs Bachmann is proposing this year.

You'll never improve your skill set if you maintain that mentality, practice on something first is always the best policy, then when you're confident enough, repaint it..

NL

I have painted a rake of mk3 coaches into Chiltern Livery thank you very much and the look decent. I however much prefer the look and feel of a factory painted model. I did start a blog on it at the time, you can see some resprayed coaches... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1882/entry-16794-livery-in-progress/

Getting the right colours is the main bug bear tbh. I don't have an airbrush and with a compressor they are about the same price as a train* and i'd rather have the train. Spray can colours are far too limited >.<

*Ok maybe not so much now compared it 3 years ago but I am still very reluctant to buy one.

The only 150 livery I wan't that much is a London Midland 150/1 but with all the curves and white text I just can't see it as an appropriate project.

Edit: Did not proof read and I can glance see loads of mistakes, sorry, am way to depressed rn to correct.

Edited by centraltrains

That was a big mistake because this livery was only carried by 1 or 2 150/1s.

By far the more common livery had the blues reversed, which made the 150/1s a bit of an oddity among the Sprinter fleet. This was only represented by a limited edition model commissioned by trains4U. The entire sub-class carried this for the first few years of their lives so it should have been Bachmann's first release.

That was a big mistake because this livery was only carried by 1 or 2 150/1s.

By far the more common livery had the blues reversed, which made the 150/1s a bit of an oddity among the Sprinter fleet. This was only represented by a limited edition model commissioned by trains4U. The entire sub-class carried this for the first few years of their lives so it should have been Bachmann's first release.

The original Provincial livery though carried by the units when built had a lower front valance. Look at the many pictures, the Bachmann tooling does not have the as built lower valance on the 150\1. The Trains4U example was 150135 which retained a very scruffy and worn original Provincial livery and was one of the very few (perhaps the only unit?) to retain the original livery and have the valance\lower cowling modified.

I have painted a rake of mk3 coaches into Chiltern Livery thank you very much and the look decent. I however much prefer the look and feel of a factory painted model. I did start a blog on it at the time, you can see some resprayed coaches... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1882/entry-16794-livery-in-progress/

Getting the right colours is the main bug bear tbh. I don't have an airbrush and with a compressor they are about the same price as a train* and i'd rather have the train. Spray can colours are far too limited >.<

*Ok maybe not so much now compared it 3 years ago but I am still very reluctant to buy one.

The only 150 livery I wan't that much is a London Midland 150/1 but with all the curves and white text I just can't see it as an appropriate project.

Edit: Did not proof read and I can glance see loads of mistakes, sorry, am way to depressed rn to correct.

Why not buy an airbrush? I never used to be good at them, now with practice repainting is so much easier, my set cost £80, it isn't great but a good starting point, and ill agree with aerosols, the colours are limited, but the spray is much too thick

Maybe something to consider?

NL

• RMweb Gold

Anybody got the Kernow exclusive FGW 150/2 yet? Is it any good?

Mine arrived yesterday. haven't had a chance to run it in yet or place it next to the FGW 150/1 for a colour match but first impressions are good.

One thing to note on this model is that unlike other Bachmann 150's is that it is missing the etched exhaust pipe guard at the end of each coach but looking at pictures of the real unit it does appear to be correct

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greatwesternrailwayphotos/30242513420/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121196525@N07/16970670247/

Perhaps Bachmann are planning to retool the 150, again. With modern DMU models all having hidden underfloor drive mechanisms (Realtrack 142, 156, Dapol 121, Upcoming Bachmann 158,170 etc) the 150 starts to look dated with a big soild lump taking up a whole 1/3 coach. Yes, it may be better than taking up a whole coach but still not up to current standards.

Bachmann are clearly happy with just re-tooling chassis, so why not do that? The bodyshell is fine and detailed to today’s standards with newer versions having full interior lighting.

If Bachmann did do a full retool for £200+, I would just buy and older one and put a black beetle in it and remove the chassis block.

The bodyshell is fine and detailed to today’s standards 

The body does not have the tooling for the centre door window on the 150\2. In addition the 150\1 does not have the original cowling. This rules out the 150\2 fleet being correctly recreated until the door started to be blanked off in around 1997\98. the units before this date cannot be done to reflect the prototype. The 150\1 started to have the cowling modified in the early 90's this means units from the 80's cannot be recreated. 

Are there way too many differences for a 150/0 to be included with any 150 toolings?

It would require another bodyshell to be tooled, or potentially with some additional inserts in the tooling a good attempt at the driving cars could be made but realistically an additional bodyshell makes sense for the respective driving cars we also need to be mindful of the centre car which would need to be included. There are quite a number of changes of this series the obvious ones are, automatic crew doors unlike the manual type on the 150\1, BR used manual types on the 150\1 as an economy measure although automatic powered doors did return for the 150\2. The passenger doors are different also very slightly. There was also the Class 154 which really was a 350hp Class 150 cleared for 90mph but that would need the air con equipment being included as well as other underfloor changes being made and require further expensive tooling options.

Hi all,

As promised, it did arrive tonight. Please see attached photos - apologies for poor quality; I took them on my iPad for efficiency!

She's a lovely runner - perfect straight out of the box. I've got the 150/1 as well as it fits perfectly - colours, as expected, are consistent. Directional lighting is bright and clear with both passenger compartments lit up clearly. Obviously there is the block with the motor in, but I'm quite chuffed with the model. It displays Penzance one end and Plymouth the other.

All the best,

James

post-25844-0-99643400-1517438488_thumb.jpg

post-25844-0-67914000-1517438510_thumb.jpg

post-25844-0-72415100-1517438532_thumb.jpg

post-25844-0-42222200-1517438889_thumb.jpg

post-25844-0-02931300-1517438901_thumb.jpg

post-25844-0-73087700-1517438910_thumb.jpg

Edited by bus80
  • Like 4

Livery of 150216 looks very nice indeed, being pedantic the interior does not match the prorotype, that unit has Chapman seats fitted which are a different shape, the shape of the grey seating mould (which would Be nicer if Bachmann painted these) are of the original style seats fitted by BREL. 

• RMweb Gold

Livery of 150216 looks very nice indeed, being pedantic the interior does not match the prorotype, that unit has Chapman seats fitted which are a different shape, the shape of the grey seating mould (which would Be nicer if Bachmann painted these) are of the original style seats fitted by BREL.

All the 150 models have the same interior which also doesn't have the forward bulkhead in the right place so the tiny passengers can access the driver's doors.

Does anyone know of a supplier of more appropriate seating for the unit. I imagine 3D printing the correct seats could get quite costly!

Overall I do like the Bachmann 150, it is probably making up the majority of my DMU fleet at the moment (too many FGW units!)

• Like 1

Livery of 150216 looks very nice indeed, being pedantic the interior does not match the prorotype, that unit has Chapman seats fitted which are a different shape, the shape of the grey seating mould (which would Be nicer if Bachmann painted these) are of the original style seats fitted by BREL. 

Not quite I'm afraid, and probably one of the reasons why Kernow chose to do 150216 was that it and 150202 came from London Midland along with their batch of the 150/1 fleet. All ex West Midlands 150s retain their original BR Ashbourne seats, as rightly depicted in the model from Bachmann - Even to this day. The ex Wessex 150/2s were refurbished with a much higher quality interior and were reseated with the Chapmans though. 

There was also the Class 154 which really was a 350hp Class 150 cleared for 90mph but that would need the air con equipment being included as well as other underfloor changes being made and require further expensive tooling options.

That was 150002 which also had 2 types of the air con fitted as a trial for the 158s (it still had the blanked off vents in the roof until its recent rebuild and painting green), one of the systems worked really well so was ordered for the fleet of 158s, shortly afterwards the gas used in the system was banned, so a different gas had to be used and, well, we all know how well that worked out dont we.

Not quite I'm afraid, and probably one of the reasons why Kernow chose to do 150216 was that it and 150202 came from London Midland along with their batch of the 150/1 fleet. All ex West Midlands 150s retain their original BR Ashbourne seats, as rightly depicted in the model from Bachmann - Even to this day. The ex Wessex 150/2s were refurbished with a much higher quality interior and were reseated with the Chapmans though. 

The ex Wessex ones also have a nicer cab.

• Like 1

You are not the first one to say that, Wessex were good at what they did but could have done with a bit more cash towards the end.

WT really was the best of  TOCs, it felt like everyone mattered - then we went and got sucked into the hole thats is FGW - but as you say money talks :(

Id like one of the rather iconic WT purple destination 150s sometime though

Really? Online pictures of this specific unit very much resemble later seating of the Chapman type, perhaps I need new glasses.

Really? Online pictures of this specific unit very much resemble later seating of the Chapman type, perhaps I need new glasses.

Still BR Ashbourne seats to this very day I'm afraid, just as the Bachmann model is. They can be seen here now recovered in Green & Grey as part of the new First GWR scheme.

(Not my video, although it does show the Ashbourne's in the 150 and the Chapman in the 153)

Perhaps it's one of the other FGW Blue 150/2s you are thinking of - 150261 perhaps? 

Edited by surfsup