ba14eagle

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to my thread.

Baker Wood Bunker is a small shunting layout set on an internal military railway. It features a standard gauge line that serves a transfer shed, where ammunition is transferred to a narrow gauge system, for storage in an underground bunker. The inspiration came from the systems that used to be in place at Dean Hill, Chilmark and Trecwn. The layout is being built to fill those Winter evenings when running my garden railway, Summer Hampton, isnt practical. I also miss doing a bit of modelling, as the garden railway doesnt really give me the opportunity - so Baker Wood Bunker scratches an itch! Its not meant to be a complete and perfect rep. of a military railway, just a bit of fun. For example, the standard gauge railway will be utilising borrowed Longmoor locos and rolling stock hijacked from a whole host of other places.

The layout is 5ft long and 33" at its widest end. Its built on mdf, framed with lightweight timber. Control is dcc for the standard gauge and analogue for the OO9.

Construcion started in January 2017 and is about 3/4 finished. Here are a few photos of where the layout is currently and links to the very first video I did for YT and the latest one (I wont clog up the thread with loads of links to the others).

Maintenance shed for the narrow gauge stock

post-32554-0-50333100-1517240270_thumb.jpg

The transfer shed

post-32554-0-54495900-1517240311_thumb.jpg

The staff halt

post-32554-0-29847800-1517240354_thumb.jpg

Test fit for trees, over the bunker mound

post-32554-0-39416900-1517240398_thumb.jpg

First video:

Latest video:

Iain

• Like 10

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As someone familiar with military bunkers, be careful with where you plant your trees on the mound. Roots are very good at causing issues with concrete! The mound top itself we try to keep clear, but on the sloping earth sides is fine.

Looks great BTW. :)

• RMweb Premium

Iain - Lovely work and a really different layout concept.  I look forward to following this thread.

Growing up, my next-door neighbour had worked in the stores at Trecwn and told us a few stories (post-closure of course, Official Secrets Act and all that).  Sadly I never got to actually visit the site, but from all the photographs I've seen, you've captured the characteristics of the buildings and track arrangements really well.

• Thanks 1