O-MF - gauges and minimum radius

Lacathedrale

Reading through these threads  I think I've come to the conclusion that any 7mm layout I'm planning should be using O-MF turnouts, and either Peco flex (for tight curves i.e. greater slop) or hand laid O-MF depending.

However, I can't seem to get hold of 'Debs' on the Templot forums who appears to be the only manufacturer. Is there anyone else out there who either produces or has some for sale?

My other question was just whether or not the O-MF minimum radius in Templot (69") applies to turnouts roads? It would appear that it would preclude any turnout smaller than a B6! I need something that could support 0-6-0 tender locomotives, although of course if it could subsequently handle a Pacific without much complaint then I would be extremely chuffed.

I gather with a 32mm gauge on plain track that one could have their 4' radius curves on typical GOG Finescale wheels? The only reason I'd even consider that is a separate 'test track' to set out on the patio but may as well ask it now!

All the very best,

• RMweb Gold

However, I can't seem to get hold of 'Debs' on the Templot forums who appears to be the only manufacturer. Is there anyone else out there who either produces or has some for sale?

My other question was just whether or not the 0-MF minimum radius in Templot (69") applies to turnouts roads?

Hi William,

Debs has been/still is unwell. Etched 0-MF fold-up gauges are available from Roxey Mouldings. Not listed on their site for some reason, give them a call or email.

The radius warning limit in Templot is simply the default setting. You are expected to change it to suit your circumstances, type of rolling stock, etc.

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin, 

Thanks for the update re: Debs - I'm sorry to hear that. Speaking to the gent at Roxey Mouldings and he does indeed have O-MF fold-up gauges in stock for a princely £4.50 for two. Lovely.

With regard to default setting, I just don't really know WHAT I should expect for a minimum radius in O-MF for reasonable compatibility (no 9F's here). 

Edited by Lacathedrale

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Please forgive my ignorance, I've been an O scale modeller for 20 plus years, and have built 2 way, 3 way, single slips and a couple of double slips but I have only very recently seen the term "O MF", what do'es it mean please?  

Hi Pete,

0-MF is a track standard for 7mm models where the track gauge is 31.5mm and flangeway gaps are 1.5mm.

This provides much better running (and appearance) than the traditional Gauge 0 Guild Fine track (32mm, 1.75mm) when running modern "industry-standard" wheels (Slater's, etc.), while at the same time accepting almost all older wheels (except coarse scale).

0-MF is now very popular with track handbuilders in 0 gauge, and will be included in the next update to the Gauge 0 Guild standards.

Often ordinary 32mm gauge flexi-track is used for plain track, with a transition to 31.5mm gauge at the pointwork. Or on a small layout you can build all track to 31.5mm.

You will find lots of topics here on RMweb about 0-MF track and 0-MF layouts, see for example: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66142-heyside-group-miscellany/&do=findComment&comment=900504

regards,

Martin.

Please forgive my ignorance, I've been an O scale modeller for 20 plus years, and have built 2 way, 3 way, single slips and a couple of double slips but I have only very recently seen the term "O MF", what do'es it mean please?

Cheer's, Pete.   

Thanks for asking the question Pete.  I too was mystified but too chicken to ask.  Will off the shelf RTR run on this?

John

Edited by brossard

Hi Pete,

0-MF is a track standard for 7mm models where the track gauge is 31.5mm and flangeway gaps are 1.5mm.

This provides much better running (and appearance) than the traditional Gauge 0 Guild Fine track (32mm, 1.75mm) when running modern "industry-standard" wheels (Slater's, etc.), while at the same time accepting almost all older wheels (except coarse scale).

0-MF is now very popular with track handbuilders in 0 gauge, and will be included in the next update to the Gauge 0 Guild standards.

Often ordinary 32mm gauge flexi-track is used for plain track, with a transition to 31.5mm gauge at the pointwork. Or on a small layout you can build all track to 31.5mm.

You will find lots of topics here on RMweb about 0-MF track and 0-MF layouts, see for example: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66142-heyside-group-miscellany/&do=findComment&comment=900504

regards,

Martin.

If you can find a copy, the reasoning behind it all is explained in the article I wrote in Model Railway Journal No. 99.

O-MF, and its even finer cousin O-SF (31.25mm gauge) are covered in the new update to the Guild manual, however the only snag is that for some reason, the new manual has disappeared from the Guild website after havnig been there earlier this year. If anyone want a copy of the final draft, I have a copy, as its author.

Thanks for asking the question Pete.  I too was mystified but too chicken to ask.  Will off the shelf RTR run on this?

John

Yes, but. The difficulty is with Heljan, who seem unable to assimilate the concepts of a standard tyre profile and wheelset dimensions. Some of their more recent productions are compliant with Guild Fine standards and present no problems, but others are non-compliant. It isn't even a case of quality getting steadily better. Whereas the ballast hoppers were fine, the tank wagons that were brought out at almost the same time have relatively coarse wheels that are non-compliant and will not cope with the finer standard. Everyone else's wheels are ok for 31.5mm, although one of our members has found QA problems with a Dapol 08, whose three wheelsets are all to slightly different gauges. Even then, the only bit of our club layout that it baulks at is the diamond crossing, which is laid to tight 31.25mm standards.

Jim

Hi Martin, 

Thanks for the update re: Debs - I'm sorry to hear that. Speaking to the gent at Roxey Mouldings and he does indeed have O-MF fold-up gauges in stock for a princely £4.50 for two. Lovely.

With regard to default setting, I just don't really know WHAT I should expect for a minimum radius in O-MF for reasonable compatibility (no 9F's here). 

Unless you are planning curves worthy of a dockyard, O-MF will be ok for all practical purposes. Roxey do also have a 31.75mm gauge available that keeps the check rail in the correct place, although you may have to ask specially for it.

Jim

Presumably O-MF is the same sort of thing as 00 running on16.2 track? Better running on points.

Essentially, yes. Better running through points, and better running in general as a result of there being less slop between the wheels and rails, but still keeping standard wheels and interchangeability of stock between other layouts.

Jim

My plan would be to use 32mm on plain track and 31.5mm on turnouts - my understanding is that any reasonably modern set of wheels/locomotives/etc. will run on it without modification but as mentioned have better running qualities around turnouts. Speaking to someone who would prefer not to be named they suggested plasticine or alternative, around the bottom of the crossing vee to effectively create a running surface for the flange itself. That sounds like a reasonable solution if points were in-situ but for the sake of £20 of gauges I can use forever and otherwise everything else being exactly the same - a bit of a no-brainer to go ahead.

I'm trying to figure out how I can fit the layout in now, having found my room mostly decorated and looking good I'm not sure if I can face mounting a layout across three walls! 

Hi Pete,

regards,

Martin.

Thank you for the explanation Martin.

Cheer's, Pete.