A new Diesel Depot Bookazine

18B

Ordered mine on line ! (Same price as well). I would have preferred to buy from a shop, because I want it now, it supports the High Street, and I want it NOW, but if WH Smith don't have it, or maybe just haven't put it on display yet, I have to go elsewhere.

When did you want it?  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't find this in WH Smiths today, either at Glasgow Central station or in the Argyle St and Sauchiehall St stores.

Seen in W H Smith's on Edinburgh Waverley this lunchtime (sorry ... )!

• Like 1

Mine arrived by post this morning. It certainly looks excellent. 

I love the panoramic shots of depots, especially places such as Hasland. I don't think I have seen a decent photo of that location before; just a few close-ups of locos there. 

If the following issues are up to this standard, they will make a very good collection. 

• Like 2

Got mine yesterday.

A bit of a mixed reception from me:

For: some excellent high level shots of depots, Crewe Diesel and Hasland for two,

one or two previously unseen excellent depot shots.

Some decent plans.

Against: too many photos printed far too big leading to blurring,

Photos seem to be grouped into either very early steam/diesel mix, or very late pre-closure. Not enough full depot banger blue pics?

Not every depot has a track plan. I'd have thought that was paramount, and relatively easy to have done?

So...would I buy the next issue? That will depend, I'd need to see it first this time.

And please see my later post.

Edited by JeffP

Ordered mine on line ! (Same price as well). I would have preferred to buy from a shop, because I want it now, it supports the High Street, and I want it NOW, but if WH Smith don't have it, or maybe just haven't put it on display yet, I have to go elsewhere.

These are available at the following shows fron DCKits-DEvideos-Legomanbiffo.

Glasgow  Feb

Preston  Feb

Preston March

Jarrow March

Ali Pali  March

York  Easter

Sheffield  April

Bristol May

Derby May

Aylesbury May

DEMU Burton on Trent June

Great Central Quorn June

Perth June

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought the sole copy on display in Worcester branch on Saturday. Its a shame if limited distributiion results in this not selling in the quentities it deserves too. Its a fascinating read with a lot to keep the transition era modeller happy as well as the dedicated diesel fan. That said its clearly aimed at the diesle fan  - one of the early shots shows Camden with a couple of Type 4's 'and some steam engines' - the later being a Duchess and 2 Royal Scots!

• Like 1

Got mine yesterday.

A bit of a mixed reception from me:

For: some excellent high level shots of depots, Crewe Diesel and Hasland for two,

one or two previously unseen excellent depot shots.

Some decent plans.

Against: too many photos printed far too big leading to blurring,

Photos seem to be grouped into either very early steam/diesel mix, or very late pre-closure. Not enough full depot banger blue pics?

Not every depot has a track plan. I'd have thought that was paramount, and relatively easy to have done?

So...would I buy the next issue? That will depend, I'd need to see it first this time.

It's been pointed out to me that my reference to banger blue shots wasn't perhaps accurate.

In the interests of fairness, and having checked, I think my reference OUGHT to have been to the period the photographs were taken in, rather than the locos therein.

Obviously, it would have been difficult to have included many, if any shots in banger blue, of depots which closed to diesels soon after the changeover.

Perhaps my criticism ought to have simply said that I thought there were a prepondernce of shots after sectorisation, and approaching the end, although many would, of course, find those fascinating. I didn't so much, but really lost interest in the scene around that time.

Horses for courses really. I'll be awaiting the next issue with interest.

• Like 1

Hooray i found it in WHSmith today.

I like the glossy cover, better than the matt finish previously used on the other kelsey railway publications.

I have had a quick look and its looks really good, id havebought it for the shot of crewe diesel alone.

An excellent mag, roll on issue 2!

• Like 1

Apart from the photos, I found it to be a very informative read too.

The operational side of the LMR is interesting. And I didn't know BR wanted to abolish the WR and split it between the SR and LMR!! But then I was only about 9 at the time, but I'd never heard that information before.

• Like 1

Hooray i found it in WHSmith today.

I like the glossy cover, better than the matt finish previously used on the other kelsey railway publications.

I have had a quick look and its looks really good, id havebought it for the shot of crewe diesel alone.

An excellent mag, roll on issue 2!

I would have bought it just for the cover photo of Camden; with at least 6 class 40s, (each of the three headcode styles), a 20 with no yellow panel, a duchess being prepared for a named service, a 6-car Watford DC unit and a great illustration of the track layout. There is so much in that photo to keep me gazing at it over and over again. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread.

Popped down to Wimborne and found three copies in WHS. Had a look and came away with a copy.

There's an interesting introduction on the LMR system of Line / Division allocation of its locos. Well worth the £7.99 cover price, though for some reason I was only charged £7.95!

Have emailed the publisher, asking about the next edition.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1