Bachmann incoming - January 2018

Andy Y

Item No. Description Era DCC RRP
Bachmann BRANCHLINE OO SCALE

31-663 Class 47/0 No. 47209 ‘Herbert Austin’ in BR Railfreight Distribution livery 8 21PIN £159.95
47209.jpg

32-304A 2251 Class Collett Goods locomotive No. 2251 in GWR green with GREAT WESTERN on tender 8 8PIN £114.95

32-815RJ Class 47/8 No. 47805 ‘John Scott 12.5.45 – 22.5.12’ in DRS Compass livery. REGIONAL EXCLUSIVE MODEL – ISLE OF MAN, NORTH EAST, NORTH YORKSHIRE, NORTH WEST AND SCOTLAND SALES AREA 9 21PIN £159.95

32-983 Class 66 No. 66779 ‘Evening Star’ in GBRF lined green livery (special for last Class 66 to be delivered) 9 21PIN £169.95

34-385 Thompson 3rd Class Corridor in LNER Teak livery No. 1090 3 - £54.95
34-410 Thompson Composite Corridor in LNER Teak No. 18510 3 - £54.95
34-435 Thompson Composite Brake in LNER Teak No. 1146 3 - £54.95
34-485 Thompson 1st Class Corridor in LNER Teak No. 138 3 - £54.95

Thompson_Teaks_1.jpg

Thompson_Teaks_3.jpg

• Like 3

you are too polite Rob it doesn't look too good in my eyes. :blind:

In the flesh it looks rather good (rather than cruel enlargements) with a faux effect which is not as prominent as it may appear in the pics but with discernible differences between panels to break up the uniformity. I've seen real (heritage) ones that don't look too good come to think of it.

• Like 2

In the flesh it looks rather good (rather than cruel enlargements) with a faux effect which is not as prominent as it may appear in the pics but with discernible differences between panels to break up the uniformity. I've seen real (heritage) ones that don't look too good come to think of it.

loooks a bit like formica to me

These coaches probably look okay in the flesh even though the Bachmann rendition is one colour passing over the base finish, which is why it lacks depth. I would have thought that in this day and age it would be possible to 'construct' an image of teak like a photo and print it onto the coach sides. With so few modellers able to 'do' teak anyway, the choice is simple.

• Like 2

The real Thompsons didn't have teak bodies, they had steel bodies with a faux teak finish.  Getting the colour of the full sized preserved version right must have been quite a challenge (and who is to say it is "correct" - mists of time and all that).  The same applies to the new Bachmann versions.  I am therefore not sure whether it is meaningful to compare the two colours (refurbished full size version versus these new models) unless the models are supposed to represent modern heritage stock.

• Like 1

Anyone who has seen craftsman hand-created teak finish will tell you it is all-but impossible to tell it from real wood. When I was a lad, decorators still applied wood graining to internal doors....Ours were done in a council house in 1954! I worked at a Crown Wallpaper shop for a short time in early 1960 and we still sold scumble, brushes and combs for this kind of artistry. And I use the word deliberately.

Such materials are still sold today... http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/Tools/Graining_and_Effects_Tools/

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I don't want to get into bashing a manufacturer and until you've seen them in the plastic it isn't always possible to judge, but the colour reproduced above does look pale compared to the existing preserved ones.14536307430_5d0f2ba13c_b.jpg10077.jpgMike Trice has managed a much closer match IMHO.

I wonder if the preservation people went a bit OTT. I cannot believe the LNER would have wanted their painters going to great lengths to paint a grain effect on the steel sides of 100s of coaches. The grain effect would need to be designed in order to look good too. I suspect they would have painted just some single form teak wood brown colour and leave it at that.

To be effective, the grain requires soft edges, but this would involve several passes through the printing machine. Bachmann has gone for a single print approach, obviously to stay within price. So I would suggest a darker background colour than the one shown in Andy Y's post to reduce the contrast between the two colours.

The 0 gauge coach below was painted by fellow full-time painter, Dave Studeley, who has accurately captured the subtle nature of the painted on finish....

post-6680-0-29871400-1517398370_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I don't want to get into bashing a manufacturer and until you've seen them in the plastic it isn't always possible to judge, but the colour reproduced above does look pale compared to the existing preserved ones.14536307430_5d0f2ba13c_b.jpg10077.jpgMike Trice has managed a much closer match IMHO.

To my eyes, your two pictures, which i’m assuming are of two different coaches, to me show two different shades of teak, or it could just be the light levels... so it must be extremely hard to replicate on a model a accurate rendition....

Anyone who has seen craftsman hand-created teak finish will tell you it is all-but impossible to tell it from real wood. When I was a lad, decorators still applied wood graining to internal doors....Ours were done in a council house in 1954! I worked at a Crown Wallpaper shop for a short time in early 1960 and we still sold scumble, brushes and combs for this kind of artistry. And I use the word deliberately.

Such materials are still sold today... http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/Tools/Graining_and_Effects_Tools/

I bought a semi in Birmingham, 1970. all the exposed wood was scumble: doors, picture rails, staircase etc. It took me nigh on 6 months (working weekends) to remove the damn stuff. Underneath the paint on the stair handrail was a lovely piece of beech!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember my Grandad doing the doors like that in the 1950s

I cannot believe the LNER would have wanted their painters going to great lengths to paint a grain effect on the steel sides of 100s of coaches. The grain effect would need to be designed in order to look good too. I suspect they would have painted just some single form teak wood brown colour and leave it at that.

Believe it. Prewar a teak coach spent 16 days going through the paint shops. I'm not quite sure why the grain would need to be 'designed' - it would look odd if every vehicle was the same.

they would have painted just some single form teak wood brown colour

. They did that too, during the war and on pregrouping coaches and NPCCS. These Thompsons were the top flight vehicles immediately after the war and were intended to stand out.

The two pictures are of two different vehicles, one restored by the LNERCA, the other by the SRPS. I'd be surprised if they did much very different, these groups share knowledge and expertise between themselves. Having seen the D.329 at Pickering before it went into service, the effect was almost luminous.

In model form it has been done very well by Hornby on their first release of teaks. I don't think anything since has quite been that good.

I bought a semi in Birmingham, 1970. all the exposed wood was scumble: doors, picture rails, staircase etc. It took me nigh on 6 months (working weekends) to remove the damn stuff. Underneath the paint on the stair handrail was a lovely piece of beech!

My Dad had a full kit for doing scumbling, and used it during the 1950s! Horrible.

Paul

Guest spet0114

The Thompson has an almost Trumpesque orange hue in comparison.

Agreed. In this case, the Bachmann version looks better than 'reality'.

I've just bunged in an order for a rake with my local model shop.