Modelling Rural North Yorkshire - Station Building?

FPH 603

Hi all,

I'm getting to the point now where I need to start thinking about the scenery of my current layout. However I am unsure of where to start. The sort of environment I'm going for is of a Rural North Yorkshire town, one that has a somewhat decent (although still low) population. If you need any more details I post them here. See my blog for more (in my signature).

Thanks to all that contribute.

EDIT: Title Change

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I'm getting to the point now where I need to start thinking about the scenery of my current layout. However I am unsure of where to start. The sort of environment I'm going for is of a Rural North Yorkshire town, one that has a somewhat decent (although still low) population. If you need any more details I post them here. See my blog for more (in my signature).

Thanks to all that contribute.

For some reason I can't open your blog so I'm not sure exactly what your latest thoughts are but assuming that you are still looking at the Skipton area, I would suggest that you google for images to do with "Yorkshire Dales", "All Creatures Great and Small" or "James Herriot".

That should get you started!

For some reason I can't open your blog so I'm not sure exactly what your latest thoughts are but assuming that you are still looking at the Skipton area, I would suggest that you google for images to do with "Yorkshire Dales", "All Creatures Great and Small" or "James Herriot".

That should get you started!

Try that now. For some stupid reason the link was stuffed and I had to change it multiple time for it to work.

EDIT: I don't want to get too specific on where exactly it is, but it's somewhere in North Yorkshire.

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• RMweb Premium

Try that now. For some stupid reason the link was stuffed and I had to change it multiple time for it to work.

EDIT: I just remembered that I was actually looking more at the line the station coming from somewhere between Thirsk and Tollerton, the line that the station branches from is relatively short (about 3.1 miles long) too.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Yes, working now. For that area google Vale of York, Easingwold Railway, or Kilburn White Horse. However, I think that area is rather more rural than your layout appears to be. 

Thanks, I had a look at it and it looks great! Really sets the environment there. I hope to incorporate some of those features from that layout, notably the short (and very green) grass, fencing and possibly the black ballast to go alongside my stone structures currently being made.

• Like 1

Saw this model at Southampton Model Exibition at the weekend.

It had a good "Yorkshire" feel to it.

Edit :- It's called Kitedale (not Kiteland in the title of the images!)

post-3744-0-84083200-1517402522_thumb.jpg

post-3744-0-72465500-1517402541_thumb.jpg

post-3744-0-81706700-1517402552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 3

Yorkshire is an enormous county and has a very varied landscape. Even within one riding (that word dates me!) you have the limestone scenery of the Pennines and Craven with nearly white stone walls, the wide Vales of Pickering and York with hedgerows and the darker Carboniferous rocks of the North Yorks Moors .

So you really need to look at it, fall in love with a bit of it and model what you see.

Whatever you do, don't copy another person;s layout! Model the real thing, not a model of it.

Ian

Use Google to look up images from the Settle & Carlisle route, or the North York Moors Railway. Both are in N. Yorks.

Both the Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors are National Parks

Lots of limestone hills , drystone walls, sheep and emptiness

• RMweb Premium

Use Google to look up images from the Settle & Carlisle route, or the North York Moors Railway. Both are in N. Yorks.

Both the Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors are National Parks

Lots of limestone hills , drystone walls, sheep and emptiness

You could even have a touch of a coastal scene as well, also in North Yorkshire (or North Riding if you prefer); Sandsend, Whitby, Scarborough, Filey or somewhere in between.

Regards, Ian.

Yorkshire is an enormous county and has a very varied landscape. Even within one riding (that word dates me!) you have the limestone scenery of the Pennines and Craven with nearly white stone walls, the wide Vales of Pickering and York with hedgerows and the darker Carboniferous rocks of the North Yorks Moors .

North Yorkshire is not the same as the North Riding; it is the most of the North Riding (excluding Middlesborough, Redcar, Yarm, Guisborough and part annexed into County Durham) tacked onto a chunk of the West Riding (Selby, Harrogate, Ripon, Skipton, Settle and Ingleton) and parts of the East Riding (Filey, Norton and to the east of Selby) that are not Humberside. Edited by Butler Henderson

sheep sheep sheep and more sheep

Need to be careful on generalisations as they can easily trip a modeller who has not done their research well. Sheep are typically to found grazing on poorer quality agricultural land and may be brought onto slightly better land that is normally used for cattle overwinter while the cattle are kept inside. The Vale of York has a lot of high quality agricultural land and normally used for crops rather than livestock. Then there are the somewhat less scenic delights of Selby District of Drax Power Station and until recently Kenningley Colliery.

You could even have a touch of a coastal scene as well, also in North Yorkshire (or North Riding if you prefer); Sandsend, Whitby, Scarborough, Filey or somewhere in between.

Regards, Ian.

If you're doing a summer scene you'll need Rain, Fog, Snowdrifts and trees at 90deg because of the gales.

Ian H

Scarborough

Edited by silverlink
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I might also ask about a station building too. I'm thinking of something similar to Cockfield station, but I feel the roof should be gabled instead. I'll probably have a canopy in attached to the front of the building too.

I'm thinking of making it 110 - 130 mm in length x 7 mm in width, and as for height I've still yet to determine that.

post-32712-0-84276800-1519810775.jpeg

• Like 1