Sales Rep/Collectors Club Limited Editions

Ed-farms

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the Bachmann Sales Rep editions/collectors club models if they made them in N Gauge

• Yes
    • Yes

It can't be just me that has noticed all these OO Gauge Sales Rep limited edition class 47's are starting to land at shops and it got me thinking, These and the last few collectors Club Models - 20172 Redmire in Thornaby blue, the XP64 class 47, exhibition MK1 brake and Exhibition VGA wagon, all have the same or at least VERY similar tooling in N Gauge. So why don't Bachmann also do these models in N Gauge at the same time, could serve both there customer bases at once then.

Edited by Ed-farms

• RMweb Premium

Agreed.  It has been noticeable that the Collectors Club Models are now heavily biased towards OO where they get exhibition coaches, interesting wagons and vans and of course a steady progression of locos and in N, well the occasional wagon if you are lucky yet we pay the same membership fee every year,

The Rep area specific limited editions in OO are interesting but again, N is being left out once more.

It's certainly something I've noticed. I do wonder if the reason the fully lined out C class hasn't been announced in the main range is that it will be a collectors club edition in N. Or an N version in SECR grey like the CC model in 00. But the modern 47's and such could easily be run in both scales. Even in a reduced number for N.

Mind you... When you join you have that interests form to fill in. It's possible (purely among members) that there is lack of indicated interest.

That’s quite possible - but why would I join if there are no N gauge models available!

Saying that, the intercity 08 was a club special wasn’t it and that has been on offer everywhere since, which doesn’t bode well for sales.

The issue is the N gauge market is a lot smaller than OO, but that doesn't mean the factory will take a smaller purchase order to reflect this. More risky to produce?? Perhaps if a poll could be set up to see if any of the rep/club specials would be wanted in N that might help push some through if enough interest is shown.

Edited by Stueyboy43

That’s quite possible - but why would I join if there are no N gauge models available!

Saying that, the intercity 08 was a club special wasn’t it and that has been on offer everywhere since, which doesn’t bode well for sales.

That's true. However the SDJR 4F sold out so perhaps there are more members after steam?

The issue is the N gauge market is a lot smaller than OO, but that doesn't mean the factory will take a smaller purchase order to reflect this. More risky to produce?? Perhaps if a poll could be set up to see if any of the rep/club specials would be wanted in N that might help push some through if enough interest is shown.

Based on that I have added a poll to this thread, I know both options are yes but we are not interested in how many won't buy the models simply if there is demand for them in N gauge.

Simply put I know that they will take a lot longer to sell. Collectors Club and Rep Editions have been at the same RRP as main range products so unless you're happy to pay a premium for them having to tie up monies for longer then they are always more likely to produce something else which will sell quicker and incur lower administrative and storage costs. Minimum runs have been for 512 pieces, as in indication many production runs of a specific livery from a competitor are normally 300 pieces (distributed amongst all of their stockists) and few of those sell out quickly.

Would the NGS consider it a viable business model to go into that arena?

I do think the poll options are a tad on the flawed side. ;)

Simply put I know that they will take a lot longer to sell. Collectors Club and Rep Editions have been at the same RRP as main range products so unless you're happy to pay a premium for them having to tie up monies for longer then they are always more likely to produce something else which will sell quicker and incur lower administrative and storage costs. Minimum runs have been for 512 pieces, as in indication many production runs of a specific livery from a competitor are normally 300 pieces (distributed amongst all of their stockists) and few of those sell out quickly.

I do think the poll options are a tad on the flawed side. ;)

Got to admit I agree with that principle having seen the way N gauge models tend to hang around on shelves - not normally the one's I want though.

Poll options are definitely flawed, but I was more interested in a total number of purchases than a percentage of who actually would so felt a no option was not valid in this instance, those who don't want won't vote :yes:

• RMweb Premium

I liked the VGA van in Exhibition branded livery they did for OO a while back, quirky, interesting and not all that inexpensive and had it been in N scale I would have snapped one up.

The NGS (membership of which I highly recommend!) have done special runs of wagons, there were the Peco TTA's in Shell Oils grey with stripes livery for example which I purchased a pair of the moment I read about them in the Journal.

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

The previous models that have been produced for this has been of no personal interest to me. This in its self is enough to put me off looking at the Bachmann collectors club. 

I joined because I wanted the wagons. However... Now I'm a member I wouldn't leave. The magazine is very well put together with Interesting subjects and high quality photos. The free catalogue is nice and the free wagon is a bonus. Even if you don't want the models it's worth a join :) You can spend the £28 (I think?) one night down the pub!

• RMweb Premium

I joined because I wanted the wagons. However... Now I'm a member I wouldn't leave. The magazine is very well put together with Interesting subjects and high quality photos. The free catalogue is nice and the free wagon is a bonus. Even if you don't want the models it's worth a join :) You can spend the £28 (I think?) one night down the pub!

Definitely worth joining. Over the last few years on top of the catalogue, four magazines and a wagon per year, I've had four days out including lunch at a heritage railway, a footplate ride, driven a steam engine, had a family ticket to Warley and landed a £10 voucher. Worth it? Oh yes......

Dave

Just a thought-

The Dapol Collector's Club specials are at the outset exclusive and CHEAPER than the regular issues.

If they fail to sell to collectors they are then offered more generally at the same price as the non-club models, i.e a bit more than club members paid.

Then again, Dapol make smaller runs of stuff than Bachmann/Farish.

Les

The issue is the N gauge market is a lot smaller than OO,

Yes, the N gauge market is about a fifth to a quarter the size of OO, with O being the fastest growing sector but still very small. So perhaps a ratio of 1 to 5 for N gauge specials would be fair.

That's true. However the SDJR 4F sold out so perhaps there are more members after steam?

Probably not. N is usually considered more synonymous with modern models and the SDJR 4F was a fictitious livery with the model taking a long time to sell out and having to be offered as a special on general sale.

The NGS already offers a range of wagon kits and RTR products to its members, but they are exclusive in not just being simple re-liveries. Currently the NGS is developing its first loco RTR product but again that is exclusive.

One of the issues with the NGS commissioning re-liveried existing products is the minimum order size requirement and that they can only sell to their members.

G

Yes, the N gauge market is about a fifth to a quarter the size of OO, with O being the fastest growing sector but still very small. So perhaps a ratio of 1 to 5 for N gauge specials would be fair.

Probably not. N is usually considered more synonymous with modern models and the SDJR 4F was a fictitious livery with the model taking a long time to sell out and having to be offered as a special on general sale.

The NGS already offers a range of wagon kits and RTR products to its members, but they are exclusive in not just being simple re-liveries. Currently the NGS is developing its first loco RTR product but again that is exclusive.

One of the issues with the NGS commissioning re-liveried existing products is the minimum order size requirement and that they can only sell to their members.

G

I was talking about members only. Not the N gauge market in general. If there are for arguments sake 1000 CC members, and 900 have indicated they model steam, then I would imagine CC releases would be geared towards that.

I was talking about members only. Not the N gauge market in general. If there are for arguments sake 1000 CC members, and 900 have indicated they model steam, then I would imagine CC releases would be geared towards that.

Membership of the CC is a subset of the overall market and therefore likely to reflect that in terms of split of interests. What evidence is there to suggest otherwise?

G.

About 18 months ago I put in a request to the CC for a loco in WCR livery and some WCR Pullman coaches. They have introduced them in the main catalogue now, so a I will end up with them anyway. However, I would like to see more regular interaction between the CC and those who have signed up, particularly as at least one staff member is dedicated to the CC.

Cheers,

Ged.

Should the poll at the start have two options to choose 'yes' or should one of the options be 'no'?

Regards

Roddy

I put yes twice on purpose, I was more interested in the overall number of people who wanted it as opposed to a % or RMWeb members who would want them, lets face it anyone modelling OO would click no if they voted.

I put yes twice on purpose, I was more interested in the overall number of people who wanted it as opposed to a % or RMWeb members who would want them, lets face it anyone modelling OO would click no if they voted.

Thanks. I presume that there is a set layout for polls and you have to have at least two options.  Working out the final result might be awkward as some people might click both yeses whilst others might only click one, hopefully you will be able to identify and apply appropriate corrections to the overall result.

Regards

Roddy

Working out the final result might be awkward as some people might click both yeses whilst others might only click one, hopefully you will be able to identify and apply appropriate corrections to the overall result.

Regards

Roddy

The poll only allows a user to vote once, so each member has one vote, so no need to make any corrections, even my simple brain can add up the results :senile: