New Roco Z21 app

Message added by AY Mod

Please reduce the confrontational aspects to this topic. Just kiss and make up a bit - 08 May

Just for everyone else here is the reply for new z21 app.

thank you for your email-question! For the import

- store the layout-appendix of an email on the SD card

- elect "layouts" and "+"

- elect "Import from SD Card"

For the export

- elect "layouts" and make a long touch on the relevant layout

- a push-up menue appears

- scroll up to the end with the touch-button "export"

Kind regards

I finally got my Z21 new DCC station (terrific system i must say!!!!)! I tried both the old version of the app as well as the new one.

While some features are better in the new version, i miss having the option to test the function buttons before choosing icons etc... when setting up a new loco.

CV programming seems better (as in easier) in the new app, where it provides a description of what each CV does (old version did not do this if i am not mistaken).

POM does not work for me in any app version (old or new) given the digitrax/Bachmann decoders i have. Programming track works fine though.

I prefer the discrete notches/bars (like speed-steps) on the old-app throttle vs the continuous color throttle when setting up the speed of the loco (i hope i am making sense with this). I think i can adjust speed better when using the old style throttle (or at least it seems easier way to me).

All in all it is a nice progress, as seen from the perspective of someone who has used both apps for the same amount of time. Looking forward to spend more time with the new Z21 and check out more of the features/differences across the two versions of the app.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I used the Z21 over the weekend for the first time , in anger running our O gauge layout , using an iPad mini and at times a third loco on my iPhone.

We had two other iPads in use also with three to 6 locos being controlled

Very nice system , one major fault is don’t like the fact that trains move off automatically on short circuit removal.

I found the “ vehicle” pictures rather small and I’d prefer to see the option of speed steps rather then mph/ kmh etc

An ability to quickly reverse the direction arrows would be useful

All in all not bad

You can have the display in MPH, KPH or Speed Steps depending on the setting chosen. This is chosen per loco and can be different for each loco I think your unfamiliarity with the app may have prevented you seeing the direction arrows either side of the loco image, and I agree the images aren’t large but after all I don’t think that with limited screen estate that the could (or should) be any larger.

I am not sure that the trains moving after a short is removed is unique to the z/Z21 - all DCC systems I have used display this same behaviour

Edited by WIMorrison

You can have the display in MPH, KPH or Speed Steps depending on the setting chosen. This is chosen per loco and can be different for each loco I think your unfamiliarity with the app may have prevented you seeing the direction arrows either side of the loco image, and I agree the images aren’t large but after all I don’t think that with limited screen estate that the could (or should) be any larger.

I am not sure that the trains moving after a short is removed is unique to the z/Z21 - all DCC systems I have used display this same behaviour

No speed step display is possible , you can have mph, mph and %.

Apologies , I see “ regulation step “ is actually speed step , but it seems locked to 128 steps

Are you talking about direction arrows in the “ vehicle “ setup , or on the “ steering “ page, I’m not talking about reversing a loco , I’m talking about the ability to change the direction sense of those buttons , or where a loco has been setup the wrong way for the layout in question

Edited by Junctionmad

Revisiting the comparison between the old/new apps for the Z21, i see that the older version is using more screen area for buttons / throttle in comparison to the new one. The newer one is much better at describing function icons when you set up locomotives. I am using the older version by the way mainly for the reason of screen coverage.

It would be nice if they implemented somehow Zimo decoder update capability into the app (or the Z21 updater app).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ARe we about to get some new firmware for the Z21 and perhaps the Maus?

This is the translated text from an email I have just received from Roco - will need to check the website on 28th and see what is there :)

Good things take a while, but just in time for the new year, on 28.12, the website http://www.z21.eu starts in a new guise and with new content! Not only has the design been spiced up , all relevant information on the Roco Z21 control system has also been redesigned and will continue to be updated.

• RMweb Premium

28.12.2018: Hopefully without bugs. And hopefully they do not change again the function symbols....

What I miss is a "loco lock". It is quite easy to move to the neighbouring loco on the database by mistake. When the buffer stop comes closer the only button that helps in this case is STOP in the top right corner...

Did any other user have this experience?

• 2 weeks later...

ARe we about to get some new firmware for the Z21 and perhaps the Maus?

This is the translated text from an email I have just received from Roco - will need to check the website on 28th and see what is there :)

Good things take a while, but just in time for the new year, on 28.12, the website http://www.z21.eu starts in a new guise and with new content! Not only has the design been spiced up , all relevant information on the Roco Z21 control system has also been redesigned and will continue to be updated.

Well, I'm not sure what I was expecting on 28/12 but as far as I can see it is exactly the same as before :(

• RMweb Gold

I've just re read that translated email, and unless I'm misunderstanding. . . Its the WEBSITE that has been revamped and the INFORMATION on that website that has been updated. . Nothing about the App ? Did I read it wrong ? ? ?

The new website is there but it is best if you speak German (or use Chrome and translate it :)) as they seem t have forgotton most of the English Translation despite offering it as a choice :(

There is an update to v1.14 for the Z21 Maint App though on the German Pages which provides a few updates, including an update to Z21 firmware http://www.z21.eu/de/downloads/software-tools

The Z21®-maintenance tool V1 14 contains the following new features:

The Z21® update V1. 33 (included in maintenance V1 14) contains the following new features:

• Possibility of configuration and firmware update for the Z21® built-in booster 10806 and 10807 via CAN

• Added firmware/sound-update ability for Zimo decoder MX600, MX616, MX659 and MX660

• Incorrectly scaled representation at 125% text size corrected

• Corrections during the firmware update process for the MULTIMAUS®

• CAN: Extensions for the Z21® booster 10806 and 10807 incorporated (set voltage, short messages, RailCom® routing)

• DCC: CV-register programming for Roco decoder 10740 and 10741 corrected

• DCC: Improved tuning for RailCom®-cutout timing

• X-BUS: Built an extension for the hand control LH101 and LH01

Booster firmware V1. 10.0

First released firmware for the Z21® booster 10806 and 10807

hey ho, good start to the New Year?

Edited by WIMorrison

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody loaded the new Z21 firmware from the Grerman language side of the website yet? And if so do you see any improvements?

Given the state of the English language side of the new website I wonder if they are no longer interested in selling to / Supporting English speakers and are just going to concentrate on the German speaking market?

Edited by NickC
  • Like 1