Ash weathering advice

What do you use to weather the front of steam locomotives underneath the firebox door where the ash accumulates?

I remember reading somewhere of a MIG weathering powder (Ash) however now I can’t find the article. I also can only find MIG “pigments” - are these one of the same?

I’ve also noticed PECO are now producing a range of weathering powders, one is ash.

Has anybody used real ash? Finely crushed?

I’m away from home for a few weeks, so before I start experimenting myself i’d be interested to know how other modellers create their preferred ash effects and any thoughts.

• RMweb Gold

MIG Rubbel (sic) Dust is a good representation of ash deposit. Although it is no longer marketed by MIG Productions (they are no longer trading), it is available as Abteilung 502 ABTP234. There are several other manufacturers who produce finely ground pigments of the right shades, but I suggest that real ash would not be fine enough for our use as modellers. There are bound to be others who have a different view.

Agree with Mick. Last autumn I did a Missenden course with Mick & he showed me the Rubbel dust which is great for ash effect. I have used finely ground real ash for yard areas but adding the Rubbel gives a nice contrast on the real ash. Another good powder Mick introduced me to was MIG 'Dark Mud' for rust areas. The usual rust colour powders are too harsh &/or bright & the dark mud is a much more subtle effect. As Mick always says 'restraint & observation' is the key to good weathering. Weather what you see & not what you think you see.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments. Restraint & observation keeps coming back as a theme and knowing when to stop is a very difficult lesson to learn! Mick, your Flickr feed is well worth a peruse.

Edited by londonbus