Hornby 72xx versions so far released.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

At the weekend I bought the recent Irwell Press book on this class and found the candidate I had in mind , 7220, had the straight running plate. Now I know Hornby has released models in both types of running plate but has there been a Great Western green version produced yet. So far only  R3464 in BR black has surfaced, Have I missed anything ?

• RMweb Premium

So far there has been the following.

R3127 GWR Green 7202

R3128 BR Late Black 7229

R3225 GWR Green 7233

R3226 BR Early Black 7218

R3464 BR Late Black 7224 (this was also in the Collet 72xx Goods Train pack)

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Hi Robin

R3225 is in green.....Great Western

R3225 is indeed the one you want as it has a straight running plate. R3127 also mentioned above as being in GWR Green has the stepped version.

A few retailers still seem to have it in stock including KGR who I've bought from (at exhibitions) in the past.

So far there has been the following.

R3127 GWR Green 7202

R3128 BR Late Black 7229

R3225 GWR Green 7233

R3226 BR Early Black 7218

R3463 BR Early Black 7224 (this was also in the Collet 72xx Goods Train pack)

there  is an R3464 BR late black 7224 as well....

Going back maybe a few years, Mike aka 'stationmaster' put the full list of variations of the 72 class on an older thread of the class - somewhere!! I used the info on that list when I upgraded my two kit-built versions. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin

R3225 is in green.....Great Western

I bought mine last fall had to search around a bit

Cheers

John

Thanks John. I can get one if I pay through the nose for it. :O 

• RMweb Gold

I was initially going to buy one of the bargain BR black 52xxs at around 79 Pounds......then on ANTB (!) I was persuaded, correctly, that it was only the 2-8-2s that were seen in the North West.........so I started looking at a black BR 72xx 100 pounds +_.........then I realised they were unlikely to appear in GWR war time black.........so it was finally the green one one at 120 pounds......I think that is called price creep. I had to do a lot of googling to get that price......none of the big box guys had them and not all the smaller shops take off VAT which is significant for me

It seems to me that it is very rare for the GWR versions to sell out before the BR.......look at all the Kernow sale items and the Dapol railcar #8......not suggesting GWR outsells BR but anecdotal evidence suggests the ordering ratio should be adjusted by both the Red and Blue teams.

Very happy with my purchase even if it was somewhat over budget!

Good luck with your search

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Arcadia models in Shaw still has them at £115: http://www.arcadiarail.co.uk/products/Hornby/trains/locomotive/R3225/gwr-2-8-2-72xx-class---gwr.html

I did check a few other shops, but none of them seem to still have this loco in stock.

Jenny's post crossed with mine......that is a very good price.

John here is some info' by John Palk ,Stationmaster Mike and Buffalo 

http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-heavy-tanks.html

Thanks for the link, but I was thinking more like this with a little more detail ( especially around post # 31) 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49734-gwr-8-coupled-tank-engines/page-2?hl=+72xx +variations

Why didn't you post it up sooner instead of whining.

:nono:

???????????????? About what ??????????????????? Perhaps because I'd only just come across it - hope the problem gets better kid. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

???????????????? About what ??????????????????? Perhaps because I'd only just come across it - hope my problem gets better. :sungum:

You need to improve your grammar, I've no problem but it seems you have. :boast:

Edited by 81C

Does anybody know if the chassis has been altered at all with the 2017 production run? I have an R3128 from the first run and is now very poorly with very sloppy axles due to the bad chassis design.

FWIW R3226, being early crest 7218, has proper brass bearings for the wheels.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to a fellow RMwebber I now have the R3225 version mentioned in this thread earlier. This will have the Brassmaster's etch added as well as a new smokebox door handle from Markits. A new identity using 247 plates and the post war GWR livery.

• Like 2

Thanks to a fellow RMwebber I now have the R3225 version mentioned in this thread earlier. This will have the Brassmaster's etch added as well as a new smokebox door handle from Markits. A new identity using 247 plates and the post war GWR livery.

I just had a look at the Brassmasters EM etch, I assume that is what you mean? Wow that looks like a lot of work...  :O

• RMweb Gold

I just had a look at the Brassmasters EM etch, I assume that is what you mean? Wow that looks like a lot of work...  :O

No its the detailing etch only and I've only used the rear of the cab and grilles . There's a lot more on the etch for the 42xx/72xx if desired.

• RMweb Gold

No its the detailing etch only and I've only used the rear of the cab and grilles . There's a lot more on the etch for the 42xx/72xx if desired.

The brake rigging is worth fitting from the kit as well, if you going to buy the kit you might as well use it.