Duchess Sound options + sources

WolfofBadenoch

My dad has decided to take the plunge into the world of DCC sound and plans to go with his favourite first - a Duchess.

Having looked at various vendors i note some Duchess sound chips are described as generic and others don't give a source. Does anybody have a full overview of what's available and what's each sound source is?

I appreciate it's highly subjective but opinions on the quality of each would also be interesting.

Thanks.

Hornby's factory-fitted sound Duchess (as sold in Montrose) sounds ok, but I am not sure what that is reproduced from. I think it is a Loksound v4 decoder, but I would need to double-check with JMRI to confirm this.

It sounds great on my home WCML layout though!

Their TTS decoder is due out soon. Ironic as this will be in City of Birmingham & the owners really don't like the idea of it ever steaming again.

This will not be re-programmable but if it works & sounds good then maybe it will be a useable solution?

6233 is main line certified so I would hope it would be possible to get a good set of recordings. That would depend on cooperation from its (PRCLT).

I am not sure if Paul Chetter or Locoman have looked into doing this. I understand that there is a lot of fine tuning to getting the projects just right & both take pride in producing a good product rather than rush one out.

Thanks all.

Mike  - Yes YouChoos is the only one i've come across stating it was recorded on a Duchess - my dad's comment on this one regarded the fact it doesn't have a coal pusher!

I'm sure i read a comment that Locoman was looking at a Duchess decoder, but it wasn't top of his list - however i might have imagined this so please don't quote me.

Charlie - I've searched YouTube but not found any with a Howes decoder - don't suppose you know of any links?

Thanks all.

Mike  - Yes YouChoos is the only one i've come across stating it was recorded on a Duchess - my dad's comment on this one regarded the fact it doesn't have a coal pusher!

I'm sure i read a comment that Locoman was looking at a Duchess decoder, but it wasn't top of his list - however i might have imagined this so please don't quote me.

Charlie - I've searched YouTube but not found any with a Howes decoder - don't suppose you know of any links?

I fitted one for a guy some time ago, its Generic I think but to me it sounded quite good.     Charlie

I have had a Duchess for about 10 years now fitted with a DCC Concepts sound chip that intrigued me because it incorporated the sound of slipping.

I recall my favourite BR era red Duchesses slipping repeatedly as they struggled to collect their skirts together to get underway out of Lime Street up into the cutting under Brownlow Hill. 

My mate and I once counted 32 sllips on a particularly greasy winter day!

I confess to being a slightly disappointed Nerd to find the chip only gave us the noise but no actual violent wheelspin.

I suppose DCC Concepts might still have that chip ready for the latest model at their new Settle Shop.

dh

I have had a Duchess for about 10 years now fitted with a DCC Concepts sound chip that intrigued me because it incorporated the sound of slipping.

I recall my favourite BR era red Duchesses slipping repeatedly as they struggled to collect their skirts together to get underway out of Lime Street up into the cutting under Brownlow Hill. 

My mate and I once counted 32 sllips on a particularly greasy winter day!

I confess to being a slightly disappointed Nerd to find the chip only gave us the noise but no actual violent wheelspin.

I suppose DCC Concepts might still have that chip ready for the latest model at their new Settle Shop.

dh

I did not Know DCC Concepts made sound decoders!   Nothing on there website suggests they do.   Charlie

I have a Duchess with a decoder from YooChoos, it's on a Zimo Chip with Stay-Alive and performs well.

Personally I am very happy with it but I suppose that's subjective because how do you compare, if you go online and listen to recordings its difficult to judge because you don't know the quality of the equipment they used to make the recordings.

The only sure way would be to attend a show where different manufacturers had their products running then you could decide which suited you.