Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Is it OO or 00 gauge?

As the OP I have followed this thread with interest and some amazement.

I think that convinces me that, no matter what it was in 1935, today it's OO.

Just where do you find that symbol on a modern keyboard?

The zero and oh keys on mine are both upright ovals. No circles as far as I can see.

Bernard

The zero and oh keys on mine are both upright ovals. No circles as far as I can see.

Bernard

Bernard,

on the Microsoft keyboard with my pc and the "keyboard" on my Android tablet, they are distinctly different. A circle and an oval. On my mobile phone they are both ovals, the O being fatter than the 0.

Going back to the OP, I now think it doesn't really matter. The casual show visitor will not see a difference, and the majority of OO/00 modelers are probably not aware or bothered. Perhaps they should put O0 on the poster, to start a conversation.

Jol

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Bernard

That is so on my laptop also, though the one on the letter key is "fatter". However, when I press the letter key, what comes up is a circular "O".

I suspect that to be a can of worms best left unopened............

As for the original question, the conclusion must be that "00" is technically and historically correct but, largely because of verbal usage and "Hornby Dublo", "OO" has become more commonly understood by subsequent generations.

With numbers, as well as letters, general usage causes the language to evolve. If something old is used in a different way for long enough, the new meaning will become accepted even if, as in this case, the earlier one remains valid. Thus, "OO" can't yet be said to have fully supplanted "00".

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

As for the original question, the conclusion must be that "00" is technically and historically correct but, largely because of verbal usage and "Hornby Dublo", "OO" has become more commonly understood by subsequent generations.

With numbers, as well as letters, general usage causes the language to evolve. If something old is used in a different way for long enough, the new meaning will become accepted even if, as in this case "OO" can't yet be said to have fully supplanted "00".

John

Exactly!

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if the poster is also intended to go on the Club's website. But doing a quick Google search using the term OO gauge, return more appropriate results than using 00 gauge. However, both searches returned results for OO/00 gauge entries. So if Google can't decide, then I think either way is OK.

Cheers, Chris

Not sure if the poster is also intended to go on the Club's website. But doing a quick Google search using the term OO gauge, return more appropriate results than using 00 gauge. However, both searches returned results for OO/00 gauge entries. So if Google can't decide, then I think either way is OK.

Cheers, Chris

Hello Chris

It's Twickenham Club that we're talking about and the poster is for our 'pop-up' event at Twickenham Library on April 21st - it would be nice to see you there!

Paul

I would always go with the OO as in dublo etc

I know this annoys some people. but they seem to be the sort of people that annoying is fun :D

I am sure this thread will go on and on and round and round....rather like a figure 0 or O in fact!

We just need the late Mr Ronnie Barker to come in and ask for some "O"s at this juncture

• Like 5

As the OP I have followed this thread with interest and some amazement.

I agree that there is a version that we should call it for historical reasons - 00 but what do we in 2018 actually call it?

So I tought I would find out some stats

I looked at ebay

There are 144,768 items listed as OO and 21,511 listed as 00

I think that convinces me that, no matter what it was in 1935, today it's OO.

This is the key point for me. However we say it, the more important thing when doing a web search, is how we type it. You have to use both to get the full results.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Chris

It's Twickenham Club that we're talking about and the poster is for our 'pop-up' event at Twickenham Library on April 21st - it would be nice to see you there!

Paul

Ah, I thought that might be the case. I will definately try and get there. Would be great to catch up.

Chris

Of course it should be "OO", but written "00" as it is narrower than the gauge it should be.

------

As for sevens and zeros with strokes through them, these are often used by the armed forces and mathematicians in handwriting to ensure no mistakes are made in reading.

Maths, especially complex formulae can get very confusing.

.------

As for sevens and zeros with strokes through them, these are often used by the armed forces and mathematicians in handwriting to ensure no mistakes are made in reading.

Maths, especially complex formulae can get very confusing.

The way most people seem to write 1 in Europe can look a bit like a 7 (if you squint a bit), so the stroke helps to clarify that, as well.

• RMweb Premium

The bigger question is, does it really matter?

Brian.

Hi Brian

Oh Oh I think you have caught us all off guard. Does it really matter?

I am going to have to sleep on this. Before I do I have some considerations to take on board.

Does it really matter? What sort of question is this? We are only on page three surely we have another six pages of waffle, silly comment, serious thought, and people throwing their toys out their prams before we can even think of this. And still Hornby Doulbzero doesn't roll of the tongue. 

Does it really matter?

Yes, no, but, yes, no, but, yes, no, but............

• RMweb Premium

...and then there was Hornby acHO!

Which has nothing to do with anything or the price of fish, as it was French.

But does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Something to ponder over a glass of red methinks.

• Like 2

The reality is that everyone knows what is meant whether one writes OO,00,OO even Dublo so it doesn’t matter one jot.

Many years ago we had gauges 0,1,2 and 3 and everything was clear. I blame the 0 or is that O gaugers for bringing in the double standards.