Model Railway Operation: In Accordance with Prototype Practice

Tony Davis

As I progress with my modelling I am making plans for a layout in a dedicated 11 x 10 room.  I have thought about where the emphasis on realism falls for me and I think, rather than exact modelling or area I would like to model for operation. A quick search on Amazon (I got a voucher for Christmas) came up with the Freezer book as mentioned above, and also Railway Operation for the modeller by R J Essery and I wondered if either - or possibly both - of these would serve to supply the knowledge and examples needed.

Thanks

Tony

If you want to run in accordance with prototype practice the first step is looking at real station plans and then understanding how they were run. Era will be important as practice changed over the years. Also practice differed a little in different locations even under British Railways.

If you have an idea of era and location a working timetable gives an interesting insight into how things were run and what restrictions there were on trains. You get to see such oddities as one train a day being scheduled to stop at a remote signal box (with no running water) to drop off water for the signalman.

• RMweb Gold

Once you've decided upon your prototypical (or prototype-inspired) track plan, and worked out an appropriate signalling diagram and also worked up a timetable, it might pay to have a word with someone who's worked in operations on the real thing, to consider how things like shunting, attachments and detachments, signalling of trains at passing places on single lines etc. was undertaken. As such, perusal of books of Rules & Regulations of the period might also be helpful.

• RMweb Gold

Once you've decided upon your prototypical (or prototype-inspired) track plan, and worked out an appropriate signalling diagram and also worked up a timetable, it might pay to have a word with someone who's worked in operations on the real thing, to consider how things like shunting, attachments and detachments, signalling of trains at passing places on single lines etc. was undertaken. As such, perusal of books of Rules & Regulations of the period might also be helpful.

Plus of course the General Appendix and the relevant Sectional Appendix.

But basically exactly as the good Cap'n has suggested.  Pick the area you want to model, hunt out as many photos of stations in that area as you can find, kook at signalbox diagrams (only small scale on the 'net in many cases) as they will help to give you the feeling for the type of track layout that could be found.  Then try to put together your track plan ignoring model railway plan books  - some of those books can be helpful but others are remarkably good at producing totally non-railwaylike track layouts!  Also ask questions on here if anything puzzles you or you need help.  The worst thing that can happen is that you'll be afraid to ask questions so remember there is no such thing as a daft question (although regrettably you might sometimes get some daft answers but usually the more knowledgeable among our number try to correct wrong information).

Thanks for all the info chaps, I'm looking at Burnham Market right now. It's in the East of England, had a platform, four sidings, took coal deliveries to the brickworks, and took agricultural traffic as well. Now off to do some more research.

• Like 1